New saw - Echo 701S VL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttyR2

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a well used Echo 701S VL. After working on more modern saws, it's hard to believe how heavy these older ones are. Supposedly it runs, but I haven't had a chance to clean it out and give it a whirl. Comes with a 24" bar on it.

echo_701svl_1.jpg

echo_701svl_2.jpg

echo_701svl_3.jpg

echo_701svl_4.jpg

Were these decent saws for their age? Worth much on the used market?

The old gas that was in the tank smelled horrible so decided to pull the saw down, cleaning the carb, fuel lines, and replace the fuel filter. It would appear that the fuel hose that was in the tank connected to the fuel filter literally melted and left a black sludge in the bottom of the tank. On a good note, looked at the piston and it looks to be in very good condition with good compression.

Any recommendations on a source for things like fuel lines and such (pre-bent)?

Nice ole Echo.

There a little heavy for there power but well made saws for sure.

I like the Echo oil pumps but I'm not all that crazy about that one being driven off a eccentric on the clutch drum. Even more so since last time I checked the clutch drum was NLA.

As for fuel lines there NLA as well but the one in the tank is no big deal as both ends are the same size and you can use a tygon line there. The tank to carb line is a differnt story as it used different sizes on both ends of the line and the carb end had a taper on it to seal the carb box from the outside elements when it was installed.

Unless you can find a NOS line, you will have to get creative on it.

Nice find. I have some fuel line if you need it. Those were great runners even though a little on the heavy side. I haven't run one for more than 35 years. There are some clutch drums on ebay. I see them all the time and laugh because there can't be 10 saws in the country that they fit

...Bob

Last edited:
Nice find. I have some fuel line if you need it. Those were great runners even though a little on the heavy side. I haven't run one for more than 35 years. There are some clutch drums on ebay. I see them all the time and laugh because there can't be 10 saws in the country that they fit

...Bob

You might be right, but I know where one of the 10 are that uses one like that! :msp_smile:

It is a yellow Craftsman version though.

It lives! Lucked out and found an identical fuel filter at the local saw shop, and picked up some Tygon fuel line. I spent most of Saturday going over the saw and cleaning the shop, so it was about ready to try out. About six pulls from bone dry and it lit right off, and idled. It sounds a bit angry, reminds me of an older Mac :) It has good throttle response, but I'm running it pretty fat for safety until I can tune it in wood.

I'm looking for a few parts, if any of you guys have any.

The sprocket cover. It's very chewed up.
The chain tensioner is mostly stripped out.

Being as how this is my first "old" saw, is there any harm in running it on 50:1 fuel using Stihl synthetic oil like my other saws do? The manual says 20:1, but I assume newer oils don't need to be anywhere near that rich.

I'm looking for a few parts, if any of you guys have any.

The sprocket cover. It's very chewed up.
The chain tensioner is mostly stripped out.
The chain tensioner bolt should be an easy match up at your dealer from another model.

The sprocket covers show up on ebay every now and then and maybe chainsawr (link above) has one. The CS-601 cover will fit also. If you can't find one i can make you a new one from alum...Bob

Excellent find, Bob. I surfed that site and only came up with a couple things for the 701. Is the 702 similar enough that a lot of parts are compatible?

Craftsman! Never seen one. I know Kioritz made John Deere saws but didn't know about Craftsman.

The Craftsman/Echos model number starts with 271.
They used the CS-302, CS-451, and CS-701 and if i wasn't so poor in the last few months i would have all 3 of them as there has been some on ebay...Bob

The Craftsman/Echos model number starts with 271.
They used the CS-302, CS-451, and CS-701 and if i wasn't so poor in the last few months i would have all 3 of them as there has been some on ebay...Bob

Hiya Bob,

If you still want that CS451VL carcass I have, shoot me a PM. Remeber that it's a parts/project saw. The P/C are in great shape. You'll need another crancase/tank assembly, top handlebar bracket, bottom handlebar bracket, handlebar, and just about all the rubber AV stuff. Everything else is there and in good shape. Scott never got back to me, so it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Received a good used chain tensioner off of a 702 from Chainsawr.com today, as well as an ebay brand new Oregon clutch drum and chain hub for the 701 today. Fabbed up a clutch removal tool:

P5071048_1.jpg

Saw as it sits today, cleaned up and running nicely:

P5071044_1.jpg

P5071047_1.jpg

If any of you guys have a CS-701SVL saw for parts, I'm looking for a good clean clutch cover (mine obviously had a close encounter with a thrown chain at some point), and a decompression lever (the plastic is broke off of mine). Also looking for the aircleaner cover with knob (or just the knob seperate from the cover), and the rubber boot that the choke rod goes through in the carb shell.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back