new saw longevity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pond hopper

mill monkey
Reaction score
Has anyone been running a 461, 661 on a mill for any length of time yet? Wondering how they hold up compared to the last generation. Not familiar yet with the changes on them and if they r suitable to the job of milling.

No CS is designed for milling but all of these levels of saw are still designed to do 2000 hours at WOT before they need a new P&C.
It doesn't sound like much but if you work it out in hours per day of continuous cutting that's a lot of cutting time.

I agree with what your saying Bob. I've always tuned my saws a bit richer when milling and have been pleased with the amount of life I get out of them. Are we still able to tune these new ones to our liking?

l suppose it may be one downside of A/T/Mtronic saws when milling is the ability to richen up the H a little when using it for such demanding work, then again l would not be in a rush to put my brand new Mtronic saw on a mill. What Bob says is right, and to make any saw better equiped to mill oiling considerations must be taken into account i.e auxilary oiler, oil holes in bars ect. Bob is the modern day equivalent to 'Will Malloff'.....not much he has not tried/bettered.

Yeah. Bob is a wealth of knowledge for sure. Hoping he has advice on any mods to a 661 powered for milling ,if any needed. The ability to richen the mix is my concern.

l suppose it may be one downside of A/T/Mtronic saws when milling is the ability to richen up the H a little when using it for such demanding work, then again l would not be in a rush to put my brand new Mtronic saw on a mill. What Bob says is right, and to make any saw better equiped to mill oiling considerations must be taken into account i.e auxilary oiler, oil holes in bars ect. Bob is the modern day equivalent to 'Will Malloff'.....not much he has not tried/bettered.

PLLLLLLease, . . . . . . let me get some of the air out of my head.
If I can contribute 1% of what WM has done for CSM'ing I'll have done OK.

Yeah. Bob is a wealth of knowledge for sure. Hoping he has advice on any mods to a 661 powered for milling ,if any needed. The ability to richen the mix is my concern.
Hey pondhopper,
Where are you located in central Pa. ??
There's a Pa. GTG posted in the chainsaw forum.........May 9th. I gotta funny feeling there will be a few woods ported 661's showing up ??

i have a 1986 2100 it has milled more lumber than you would believe possible . and still going strong i do tear it down ever so often clean it out, i clean piston and cylinder in ultrasonic cleaner is has original rings and piston as far as i know. i bought it used in 1986 as for new saws cant help much newest saw i have is 1996 i run oil on heavy side with sea-foam in my mix . been working for me really well for years my advise is get an older model but i am no chainsaw pro bye any means .

Thanks for the input guys. I have a couple of 044/440's, 460 & 660 with more hours on the mill than I ever expected to get. I have faith in the old ones holding up. Just concerned with the new electronics controlling the saw vs manual tune. Don't really need a new saw, just itching for a new toy.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a couple of 044/440's, 460 & 660 with more hours on the mill than I ever expected to get. I have faith in the old ones holding up. Just concerned with the new electronics controlling the saw vs manual tune. Don't really need a new saw, just itching for a new toy.
So, are you ignoring me on purpose ?? hehe

Nope, I'm up bloomsburg area. Thinking about maybe checking out gtg. Only about 1:15 from your area. Will have to see what work schedule is around that date

Nope, I'm up bloomsburg area. Thinking about maybe checking out gtg. Only about 1:15 from your area. Will have to see what work schedule is around that date
Ahh, gotcha..
I actually bought a panthermill II, 2 or so years ago and have'nt milled a damm thing, I got the saws, jus need the kik in the azz to do something different.
We could set up a milling log or 3, ya know ???? Iffin a milling guy is coming..

Back