New shop heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, it's not a wood burner but I wish I had built it years ago. I took an old wood stove I had and turned it into a waste oil burner. It took about three hours to start to running and I couldn't be more impressed with it. I ran it for 14 hours strait yesterday and only used 4 gallons of waste oil. My uninsulated shop was in the 70's and maintained all day without hardly any fluctuations in stack temp. Keep in mind it's only a 16x24 building but it's also in a wind tunnel on the Nadian border. Having a small hobby farm keeps me in waste oil all the time.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

May I ask, what is waste oil?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Just used motor oil from oil changes, hydraulic fluid changes, even used cooking oil.

And it can be an excellent source of heat. They make stoves/heaters just for burning this kind of thing. My mechanic heats his 4-bay shop with waste oil he collects from his oil changes.
There's a neat Youtube channel for that as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/glumpy10/videos

And it can be an excellent source of heat. They make stoves/heaters just for burning this kind of thing. My mechanic heats his 4-bay shop with waste oil he collects from his oil changes.
There's a neat Youtube channel for that as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/glumpy10/videos
I do HVAC work for a living and get to work on many used oil furnaces. Quite a bit goes into those style heaters, glad I made a low tech burner. No preheaters for the drawer assembly and if a little water happens to get in the oil, it's not a big deal.

Nice job! Can you make a video of lighting it?
I assume you have a shut off valve so you can go to bed without it burning?
What's the plan for when the blower craps out?

Nice job! Can you make a video of lighting it?
I assume you have a shut off valve so you can go to bed without it burning?
What's the plan for when the blower craps out?
I'll get you a video of lighting it. The shutoff valve is how I control temp as well as shut it down for the night. I have a backup blower if it craps out and pretty much an endless supply of old inducer assemblies I can fab up to fit the drawer assembly.

I started building a sawdust burner tonight. By the time the weather is good enough to resume work on the barn I'll have all the heating systems built. I even have enough hydronic stuff kicking around to make a heating system for a lumber kiln I plan to put in the barn. I love building crap.

Great job bet it works wonderful too. I do have a question though, why was there a " scarf cut" in the copper tubing where it enters the black iron pipe ? Is it there so the air passing the tubing causes a draw on the oil flow and atomize it?

Great job bet it works wonderful too. I do have a question though, why was there a " scarf cut" in the copper tubing where it enters the black iron pipe ? Is it there so the air passing the tubing causes a draw on the oil flow and atomize it?
The copper hasn't been cut at all. I drilled a hole diagonally through the black iron pipe to run the oil line through. I did that to keep an envelope of cooler air around the oil line to keep the end of the oil line from sooting up.

Interesting concept. I had a buddy that was a mechanic. He used a barrel stove to heat his garage. He like working on cars, but wasnt much when it came to cutting wood. He cut the top out of a 5 gal metal can. Brazed in a copper line with a needle valve to cut the oil on/off with. He ran a copper line from the can to the small bung hole in top of his barrel stove. He would take the biggest stick of wood he could find and put inside the stove and let the oil just drip onto the wood. Soak a rag in Safety Kleen and throw on top of the log where the oil was dripping. Light it and close the door. The big bunghole of the barrel stove was where air entered the stove. Open it all the way up and it wouldnt be long until the stove was shooting flames out of the hole. No need for any fans. He could turn the barrel sides red hot by just opening up the draft. funny thing was that big stick of wood never seemed to burn up because it would be days or even weeks before he had to add anymore wood. The needle valve controlled oil flow. cut off the oil and close the draft and the fire would eventually die out, but for some reason the wood just never seemed to burn up.

Latest posts

Back