New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Reaction score
A very happy new Super Split HD owner...First of all I'm new here and wanted to give thanks to the following: MNGuns (Semper Fi brother), Sunfish, NHMike, KiwiBro, Guswhit, Sandhill Crane, Mr. Finn, Sam-Tip, STLfirewood, CUCV, Angelo C, NHLogga to name a few, and many others who I apologize for not listing specifically...but thank you as well. Each of you were instrumental in my decision on the SS HD.

I read and read and read, and you folks are one helluva knowledgeable group of people. I spoke with Paul and Connor (son who is the production manager now) and they are a class act group of folks. Great communication whether via phone or email and prompt...exactly the way business should be. I guess they're a dying breed nowadays, just don't get service like that hardly anymore. I purchased the SS HD on 12 Feb and picked it up with my trailer from the ABF freight terminal in Macon, GA on 20 Feb. Paul gave me a two week lead time and I had it on my trailer 8 days later. Just can't beat it. My brother and I put it together the evening of the 20th. The assembly was straight forward, no problems. This thing is built like a tank and the 6.5 HP Honda GX 200 runs like a sewing machine...fired up first pull and one pull every time since them. I went through it lightly spray-lining, lightly greasing the rack, etc, etc based on you guys advice in the threads.

I've split very little as of now... good handful of red oak, white oak, hickory, and pecan and this thing doesn't even check up. Nothing really bigger than 15" diameter at the most but just haven't had time due to daughters basketball (they made the Final Four in the GA State Championship 4-AAAA class) and the games are keeping the old man busy to say the least. Semifinal game this Sat, if they win, GA State Championship game 5 Mar. Not only that, but our fair share of rain the past week as well.

I took several pics of the hoist/build process and end product of the SS in my shop, I'll do my best to get them posted soon...gotta polish up on that skill a little (I can have the flight controls/flight control surfaces off of a C-17 GlobeMaster III in 24-36 hrs, but I can't put a pic on a thread...go figure, Lol). I know you guys are ball-busters about pics and vids and I'll do my best to get them up.

Again, thank you all for the insight, knowledge, and now a member of the SS Club...proud to be a member of it and this forum.

Jason

Send it up my way I'll break er in for ya. I've always wanted to try 1 before I'd think of buying 1 or just see what everyone is bragging about.

Sawdust, hopefully I'll get the chance shortly to get a little more action out of the SS HD... Friend of mine has three pretty good size red oaks he wants outta his back yard. After how quick it split the little I've had the chance to play with, I see now why all the SS owners say you better have a boatload to split. I never personally had seen one much less ran one before I pulled the trigger on this thing. Been saving a little on the side for over a year now for one and finally happened. I've got a hydraulic in the shop, had about 3 yrs and runs like a top...his days I believe might be numbered.

Welcome!
It took me quite awhile of watching videos and reading comments before I purchased one, but darn happy with it! I won't ever give up my hydraulic I made, even though I have had some really good offers, both splitters have there place. I really don't want to cut big wood anymore if I don't have to. The big stuff that does fall into my lap now, I breakdown with the hydraulic(it's horizontal and vertical) so then I can finish with the SS. Definitely frees up more time that you used to spend splitting!

Thanks Guswhit for the welcome aboard...and I agree both machine types certainly have their place in the splitting world. I'll certainly have to sample with the SS HD far more with 'not so straight' pieces of wood before I decide if I sell the hydro. As of now, no more than I've split, I couldn't be happier with the SS HD. Hopefully next week I can run a fair amount through the SS and make a little headway into the break-in period. Paul at SS and all you folks say they get better after a handful of cords.

Thanks Sandhill Crane for the welcome aboard...you folks are definitely the source of knowledge to tap into concerning the SS's.

Appreciate the welcome aboard Sunfish...I think the SS HD will turn out to be all I'll ever need. Like your avatar... We wear out the bream, crappie, and bass here in mid-Ga when the times are right and now it's crappie time. Can't get the fish fryers and peanut oil to 350 degs quick enough.

That SS is nice but how does the DR inertial splitter compare? My present splitter is a Fiskars but the inertial splitters intrigue me.

Oldman47...having not used the DR Rapidfire my only evaluation of that machine would be the many threads I read here on the DR unit itself and the many comparison threads between the DR and the SS. I would offer searching the DR models here on AS and compare as well as the DR website. I know I'm not much of a help with your comparison question, just haven't personally used the DR. I'll say this much, the DR was not even in the running nor any other flywheel splitter for that fact when I purchased the SS HD. It's hard to argue and gamble against 40 years of the proven thoroughbred SS. I wouldn't even consider spending this type of money on anything other than a SS when it comes to a flywheel/rack and pinion splitter.

Congrats on the new splitter and welcome aboard!! Paul and Connor are definitely solid people to work with and build a quality machine. Keep us updated after more use and don't be afraid to ask any questions about the SS, there is a knowledgeable group here that know that machine well.

That SS is nice but how does the DR inertial splitter compare? My present splitter is a Fiskars but the inertial splitters intrigue me.

I have only had mine for about a year and a half, but I had to replace a bearing on mine the other day(do to operator ignorance) and when I called up to order I got Paul on the phone, he looked up my info in the computer to check my model number, Got my part ordered and then gave me a brief synopsis of the best/easiest way to replace the bearing and get things realigned. Where else would that happen? Granted they have been making this machine or one similar for years and not a lot of other products, but my point is the customer service!

Thanks Mr.Finn for the welcome aboard...I'm sure I'll have many questions concerning the SS as I break the splitter in. I've gained a ton of knowledge from all you folks already by reading all the threads posted in the past few yrs, especially in the 'mod' department. I'm considering a swivel trailer jack mount with a 6" heavy caster mounted on the front leg to ease in the portability a little...get where the splitter will be setup then crank the wheel up and swivel out of the way. I remember some threads discussing that in the past. Other than that, I ordered the Outrigger Kit (two forward height adjustable brace legs for the very front end of the production table) from Split Second and it's here in the shop, gotta get it mounted today hopefully. By the way, Sean at Agri-Fab is top notch to deal with. The first Outrigger Kit I ordered showed up at my house looking like it had been dragged behind the UPS truck from Illinois to mid-GA, mounting brackets/all hardware missing. The only items in the, what you might consider the remnants of an attempt of a box, were the two outer and inner adjustable height legs. I took pics of the items/what was left of the box, sent them to Sean and he immediately overnighted a brand new, very nicely packaged replacement Outrigger Kit. The replacement kit didn't have a single scratch on the painted finish and all items accounted for. He was very apologetic and said he'll deal with the carrier concerning the first shipment. Great and prompt handling of the situation, two thumbs up on Sean and Agri-Fabs behalf.

USMC, Congrats on your new SS HD! I am also new here, and a proud new owner of a SS. My quest for my holy grail(of log splitters) ended last weekend. Got my tax return on a thursday, saw an ad on craigslist for a SS on saturday morning, drove from long island to connecticut sunday morning in my old suburban to pick it up. Not sure which model it is, but it has a 5.5 honda, and some welded re-enforcements around the edge of the table. Its in great condition for being an older model, but needs a few adjustments. Came with an extra ngk plug, bearing, springs, retract spring assembly, and some spacers. Been searching for a SS for years, and it was fate that this one fell into my hands. Just an amazing machine, and i share your enthusiasm!

I have only had mine for about a year and a half, but I had to replace a bearing on mine the other day(do to operator ignorance) and when I called up to order I got Paul on the phone, he looked up my info in the computer to check my model number, Got my part ordered and then gave me a brief synopsis of the best/easiest way to replace the bearing and get things realigned. Where else would that happen? Granted they have been making this machine or one similar for years and not a lot of other products, but my point is the customer service!

Guswhit, your situation with the bearing replacement and how best to deal with it talking with Paul, and no doubt would've gotten the same courteous customer service/advice from Connor, sets these guys at SS in a league of their own. It can't possibly get any better in the customer service world. Your case coupled with the SS longevity, and that pretty round sticker that says "MADE IN THE USA"...it simply made it a no-brainer as to who I was cutting my splitter check to, with a big ol grin the entire time. :)

Cneb5...congrats and as a very junior AS man myself, welcome to the SS world. All the things I've read, used SS's are indeed a rare bird and commodity to find in the For Sale world. I believe I'd pop the top on a few if for no other reason than finding a used one. Lol. Great find.

Thanks Mr.Finn for the welcome aboard...I'm sure I'll have many questions concerning the SS as I break the splitter in. I've gained a ton of knowledge from all you folks already by reading all the threads posted in the past few yrs, especially in the 'mod' department. I'm considering a swivel trailer jack mount with a 6" heavy caster mounted on the front leg to ease in the portability a little...get where the splitter will be setup then crank the wheel up and swivel out of the way. I remember some threads discussing that in the past. Other than that, I ordered the Outrigger Kit (two forward height adjustable brace legs for the very front end of the production table) from Split Second and it's here in the shop, gotta get it mounted today hopefully. By the way, Sean at Agri-Fab is top notch to deal with. The first Outrigger Kit I ordered showed up at my house looking like it had been dragged behind the UPS truck from Illinois to mid-GA, mounting brackets/all hardware missing. The only items in the, what you might consider the remnants of an attempt of a box, were the two outer and inner adjustable height legs. I took pics of the items/what was left of the box, sent them to Sean and he immediately overnighted a brand new, very nicely packaged replacement Outrigger Kit. The replacement kit didn't have a single scratch on the painted finish and all items accounted for. He was very apologetic and said he'll deal with the carrier concerning the first shipment. Great and prompt handling of the situation, two thumbs up on Sean and Agri-Fabs behalf.

Congrats! Only had mine for a week or so. I'm really loving it!

I'm going to raise mine up a few inches. I'm 6'3" and I felt like I was hunched over a little. Not a big deal for most, but I broke my back last summer and it's sensitive to that kind of stuff now.

Should be pretty simple. I'm going to take the bolts out the mount the leg and the axle and add a piece of 4" tubing and some longer bolts.

I'll take pic's if I get to it today.

Congrats! Only had mine for a week or so. I'm really loving it!

I'm going to raise mine up a few inches. I'm 6'3" and I felt like I was hunched over a little. Not a big deal for most, but I broke my back last summer and it's sensitive to that kind of stuff now.

Should be pretty simple. I'm going to take the bolts out the mount the leg and the axle and add a piece of 4" tubing and some longer bolts.

I'll take pic's if I get to it today.

I'm 6'3" as well Joesell and I've given thought to the same raise theory, whether in essence shimming like you're referring to or maybe screwing a couple of beveled-ramp ended treated 2x12's together (3" raise) with strips boxed in to act as tire chocks on the rear, and square cut 2x12's with a raised outline screwed pocket, so to speak, for the front flat bar foot to nest in. Not sure if my idea would lend to creeping and wanting to walk at 3/4 to full throttle or not but I've got some lumber in the shop I might play around with. I can adjust the add-on Split Second outrigger legs themselves to accommodate the height increase.

Back