New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the board test with bigger spacer. My gap is now 0.57 inches. Perfect!

e98058c496f2621565b4b9088a778369.jpg

tappa talk samsung note 2

Guys, hate to sound like an full-blown ass on this one, but... When I was taking my measurements (around and inch and three eights) end ram travel, it was with the motor at idle or just above. I thought it would be the same regardless of engine speed. Have had several things goin on lately so haven't spent a whole lotta time foolin with the splitter. Ran it 3/4 throttle, to WOT throttle this evening...put a 1x4 (3/4 thick on edge) and the x-weld on the ram made about a 1/16 impression contact with it at both throttle settings. These racks ain't got no 'stretch' to em, lol. Test your racks themselves at different motor rpm's, still just odd to me given a fixed rack length, the travel is a different length. Just throwing this out there to make sure I can read a tape measure and a known board thickness, lol.

I have been testing out my mod and really like it. Splits Ash and Elm great. But. I have had the rack go beyond the pinion three times now. Could it be as simple as adjusting the nut on the bottom of pull handle. The rack comes out of the guide and doesn't return. It pushed the modded pusher into the wedge.

I have been testing out my mod and really like it. Splits Ash and Elm great. But. I have had the rack go beyond the pinion three times now. Could it be as simple as adjusting the nut on the bottom of pull handle. The rack comes out of the guide and doesn't return. It pushed the modded pusher into the wedge.

...Doug, taking a guess here, could be the cam followers/rollers on top of the rack, where the handle pivots to engage and push the ram down into the pinion gear inbetween the flywheels. Sounds to me like the most suspect place to look. Any splitter trash, splinters, or otherwise there? Something is hindering between the end bevel of the rack from disengaging from the flywheel pinion gear, then spring return takes over, or it's followers on the top side of the rack, allowing full and then some travel, allowing the rack to 'shoot' all the way out. I'm just taking a stab at it. If you've corrected, and this was not the problem, please advise so we know possibly what to look for in the future. Thx, Jason.

My splitters is still acting up. Now I think it is because of my mod of spacing out the pusher. With the shim it provides more torque and the spring under the rack isn't strong enough to lift the rack off of the pinion gear. Used both HD and SE for 8 hours on each machine this weekend. They would every once in a while push the rack out to far. With 35 people, 2 kinetic splitters and 3 hydro we were able to split 50 cord of wood.

I'm going to buy a SS HD this July !! Can't wait !! I'm not a good welder, so most of these mods are probably out of my reach, but I am so excited to start splitting wood without a maul, wedge, and axe anymore :)
Wise choice my man...Wise choice. You'll be forever greatful to join the SS club. Trust me.

Been running my HD SS for a few weeks now. Only issue I have is that sometimes on larger or knotty pieces the ram gets stuck up against the wood, and when I try to disengage you hear a chattering sound. So what I've been doing is gently pushing the ram back off the log with a pry bar. doesn't take much force, its like it stalled out (but not literally as engine/wheels are moving). Any remedies?

I really do like it though, by myself I can split a cord an hour easily...

I have had mine stick a few times as well. I have a 3# maul with me and usually can just tap it out of the jamb. I shut the motor down first though.

I'm in the market for a new splitter and ran across the Kinetics. I also looked at the dual direction machines and faster cycling hydraulic units.

For those of you that have gone this route (kinetic) are you still 100% happy with your purchase?
I have contacted SuperSplit and I have been very happy with the speed in which my questions have been answered and the ability to to talk to a expert on the machine.

I am close to pulling the trigger but I will admit it's a lot more than I want to spend.

Thanks in advance, Rye.

Op sorry for the derail but this seemed like the quickest way for an answer.

Semper Fi 0331 Camp Pendleton Ca.

First, welcome aboard! To honestly give you any input for your choice I would need to know what you are going to be doing? I mean, are you going to be selling wood or just for personal use? I would say it is difficult to justify the cost for the SS for personnel use only unless you just have extra money you want to spend.

I heat my home with firewood and a pellet stove, and average winter I burn 8-9 chords (my home is not efficient). I understand that's not a lot to most but I hate splitting. I have plenty of areas to get wood, I enjoy felling trees and using my truck and trailer, but I hate splitting wood with a passion.

I have a old MTD/Yard machine 26/28 ton, I can't remember exactly.
It's killing my back as I get older to run the machine And I'm not sure I want to invest money in it for a table, or to raise it, etc.

Time is a huge factor as well. I have 3 small children that are too little to help but like a warm home.

Thanks, Rye.

I personally wouldn't invest the $3,000 plus dollars for the SS in your current situation. How much ever I love mine now if I only had 8-9 cord to do I couldn't justify the cost. There are plenty of other hydraulics out there that would do the job easy enough for you at a third the cost, or as you indicated, some mod's to your current one to make it easier on you body. Even if you can only do half the amount of processing finished splits your payback is going to be along time. I have 2 young children as well so I know your time constraints. I have found that I can actually get them entertained for about an hour at a crack with some stacking so the wife can get tot he store or other short time out for her. Just a couple of quick thoughts for you.

I heat my home with firewood and a pellet stove, and average winter I burn 8-9 chords (my home is not efficient). I understand that's not a lot to most but I hate splitting. I have plenty of areas to get wood, I enjoy felling trees and using my truck and trailer, but I hate splitting wood with a passion.

I have a old MTD/Yard machine 26/28 ton, I can't remember exactly.
It's killing my back as I get older to run the machine And I'm not sure I want to invest money in it for a table, or to raise it, etc.

Time is a huge factor as well. I have 3 small children that are too little to help but like a warm home.

Thanks, Rye.
Unless in very stringy or very knotty wood, do it. Do it now. You will not regret it. Yes they are not cheap. But yes, you will make better use of your very precious time and yes, you will have an heirloom to hand down to one of the kids when it's time for them to start splitting firewood for you. And yes, if you ever decide to sell it they hold their value very well (the splitter that is, selling kids is a bit hit and miss).

Best. Purchase. Ever. I only split very part time, and i've managed to pay off the splitter, a new echo cs590, and a utility trailer with mine. Put a little cash in my pocket as well. I originally thought i would only sell enough wood to pay off the splitter, and now its starting to turn into a part time gig. My SS makes the little bit of time i have, very productive, and proffitable.

Best. Purchase. Ever. I only split very part time, and i've managed to pay off the splitter, a new echo cs590, and a utility trailer with mine. Put a little cash in my pocket as well. I originally thought i would only sell enough wood to pay off the splitter, and now its starting to turn into a part time gig. My SS makes the little bit of time i have, very productive, and profitable.
Agreed. I really love mine. You really see the value of the speed of the machine if you have an assistant to feed you the wood.

I'm in the market for a new splitter and ran across the Kinetics. I also looked at the dual direction machines and faster cycling hydraulic units.

For those of you that have gone this route (kinetic) are you still 100% happy with your purchase?
I have contacted SuperSplit and I have been very happy with the speed in which my questions have been answered and the ability to to talk to a expert on the machine.

I am close to pulling the trigger but I will admit it's a lot more than I want to spend.

Thanks in advance, Rye.

Op sorry for the derail but this seemed like the quickest way for an answer.

Semper Fi 0331 Camp Pendleton Ca.
I bought the SS J model over 6 years ago and love it! At around $2500 it was well worth the price! I'd do it again in a heart beat. I process between 8 - 15 cords per year.

Latest posts

Back