New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less talk and more pictures/videos of it in action :)

Raganr...I agree with ya. I'll try to get the pics uploaded this wknd at some point, my son knows how to do it I believe. We've got to set sail on a 2.5 hr drive here shortly above Atlanta for my daughters 4-AAAA high school basketball semifinal state championship game.

As far as any vid, I'm out of wood here with what little I tried the SS out with after we assembled it, everything else is split already. I'm not a logger or woodsman by trade so I don't have anything readily avail to split at the moment...but I have a friend who wants three red oaks down in his yard. We've got it lined up for next weekend weather permitting and if daughters team wins today, the Ga state championship game is this coming Thurs evening, so ball won't be a factor for getting the trees on the ground, cut up and back to my property. He has a gas fireplace so I get all the wood and there should be a plenty.

Appreciate the welcome aboard Sunfish...I think the SS HD will turn out to be all I'll ever need. Like your avatar... We wear out the bream, crappie, and bass here in mid-Ga when the times are right and now it's crappie time. Can't get the fish fryers and peanut oil to 350 degs quick enough.
We start gettin after the Crappie late March/April & the Bluegill a month later. But May is THE month here!!! :)

We start gettin after the Crappie late March/April & the Bluegill a month later. But May is THE month here!!! :)

Pretty munch same timeframes here as well. My buddies have been heading about 2 hrs west of mid-Ga over to Lake Eufala (Ga/Ala state line) and beating them to death the last two/three wknds. And I'm talking slabs by the pics I've seen. Catching em on minnows and trolling. Seems that lake produces the slabs earlier than other lakes, even West Point Lake which is not too far from Eufala. The best times in the central Ga lakes are ballpark you guys best times as well. And when the bream start bedding afterwards, it's on then. I've got an '07 Bass Tracker Pro Crappie 175 that lives in the water during these times. I wish I could make the trips recently with my buddies over to Eufala but daughters b'ball got me leaned out now. Peanut oil and fish fryers are itching here. :)

I'm 6'3" as well Joesell and I've given thought to the same raise theory, whether in essence shimming like you're referring to or maybe screwing a couple of beveled-ramp ended treated 2x12's together (3" raise) with strips boxed in to act as tire chocks on the rear, and square cut 2x12's with a raised outline screwed pocket, so to speak, for the front flat bar foot to nest in. Not sure if my idea would lend to creeping and wanting to walk at 3/4 to full throttle or not but I've got some lumber in the shop I might play around with. I can adjust the add-on Split Second outrigger legs themselves to accommodate the height increase.

I thought about a ramp too. I don't know about yours, but mine vibrates a little. I'd hate to have it fall off the ramps. Not to mention, it would be a pita to set up all the time.

I'm also not getting any shorter, so a permanent fix is what I'm looking for.

20150228_141920.jpg
I thought about a ramp too. I don't know about yours, but mine vibrates a little. I'd hate to have it fall off the ramps. Not to mention, it would be a pita to set up all the time.

I'm also not getting any shorter, so a permanent fix is what I'm looking for.

It turns out I still suck at action shots. I always get wrapped up and forget to take during pic's.

I was looking around my shop for some 4" square tubing but all I could find was 3". That's when I stumbled on some green treated 4x6. I figured it would work for now just to see if the height is right. Truth is, if it works, I'll probably never get around to putting steel in there.

It added 3 1/2" overall.

Either way, here's a pic of how it looks for now.

Congrats to a neaw SS owner..

I got mine last fall......... Kinda pisst about it though................Pisst that I did'nt order one many years ago !!

I built an attached custom splitting table for mine,,, works great..

Did'nt sell my hydraulic yet, but it's gonna go this year..

Yeah, I cut 2 pieces the same. Got 5" bolts to replace the shorter ones that came with it. I could've gotten away with 4 1/2", but I already bought the 5's to go with the elusive 4" tubing.

View attachment 407759

It turns out I still suck at action shots. I always get wrapped up and forget to take during pic's.

I was looking around my shop for some 4" square tubing but all I could find was 3". That's when I stumbled on some green treated 4x6. I figured it would work for now just to see if the height is right. Truth is, if it works, I'll probably never get around to putting steel in there.

It added 3 1/2" overall.

Either way, here's a pic of how it looks for now.

Not a bad idea Joesell...I'd like to know if after everything is cranked down and tight, if the wood helps absorb some of the vibration at higher rpm ranges. Might be just the trick. Are you going to use nylon nuts on the longer bolts now since the wooden, vice steel theory? Might help from the wood 'compression' standpoint after everything is drawn down tight, keep regular nuts from possibly vibrating loose. Just thinking out loud. Definitely let me know the turnout. :)

Not a bad idea Joesell...I'd like to know if after everything is cranked down and tight, if the wood helps absorb some of the vibration at higher rpm ranges. Might be just the trick. Are you going to use nylon nuts on the longer bolts now since the wooden, vice steel theory? Might help from the wood 'compression' standpoint after everything is drawn down tight, keep regular nuts from possibly vibrating loose. Just thinking out loud. Definitely let me know the turnout. :)

Yeah, just about the time I got everything tightened down, and the splitter back on the floor, I realized I should've used lock nuts. It's not to late. It's still in the shop and it's supposed to snow tomorrow.

Appreciate it showrguy...I'll be saying the same 'why didn't I buy this thing yrs ago' theory as well, I know it. I first saw an article on one several yrs ago and kinda just said that's neat. The last yr and a half I've been steadily on the saving money on the side trail. Just glad the trail has come full circle now. It's a helluva machine no more than I've put through it. Hope to have plenty of red oak on the ground next wknd.

Can you snap a pic of your custom built tableand post? Be interested in seeing it. I purchased the production table with mine but like to see others fab ideas.

Appreciate it showrguy...I'll be saying the same 'why didn't I buy this thing yrs ago' theory as well, I know it. I first saw an article on one several yrs ago and kinda just said that's neat. The last yr and a half I've been steadily on the saving money on the side trail. Just glad the trail has come full circle now. It's a helluva machine no more than I've put through it. Hope to have plenty of red oak on the ground next wknd.

Can you snap a pic of your custom built tableand post? Be interested in seeing it. I purchased the production table with mine but like to see others fab ideas.
The pictures are in a thread on here somewhere, but I'll try and repost what I have on the camera card......

That is slick Showrguy... Nice fab work. I like the quick-release pin on the legs theory. As well, the lack of angle (square side all the way) on the opposite side of table of the operator. I enjoy seeing others fab work...seems I get to looking at ideas to fab at times and it's like I get stuck on one way and one way only and can't get any other ideas in my head. Probably called 'being hardheaded.' Lol. Cadillac of a production table!!

Yeah, just about the time I got everything tightened down, and the splitter back on the floor, I realized I should've used lock nuts. It's not to late. It's still in the shop and it's supposed to snow tomorrow.

Joesell, just a little food for thought. If the blocks work, maybe look at a quart, I'm sure that would handle two-coating both blocks and then some, of exterior oil base gloss or semigloss black. Just thinkin out loud again but would help the treated blocks weather a little better as a helper sealer as well...match the black undercarriage of the machine as well. Sometimes I think I think too much...Lol

Joesell, just a little food for thought. If the blocks work, maybe look at a quart, I'm sure that would handle two-coating both blocks and then some, of exterior oil base gloss or semigloss black. Just thinkin out loud again but would help the treated blocks weather a little better as a helper sealer as well...match the black undercarriage of the machine as well. Sometimes I think I think too much...Lol

I actually was going to paint them first. I didn't want to waste the time if it wasn't the right height though.

Along with not taking action pic's, I suck at making things look "nice". I'm all go and no show!

That is slick Showrguy... Nice fab work. I like the quick-release pin on the legs theory. As well, the lack of angle (square side all the way) on the opposite side of table of the operator. I enjoy seeing others fab work...seems I get to looking at ideas to fab at times and it's like I get stuck on one way and one way only and can't get any other ideas in my head. Probably called 'being hardheaded.' Lol. Cadillac of a production table!!

Well, I gotta be honest,, the fab work was my idea, but I had some other guys actually do the work.......I did the design for the most part..
Actually, My buddy Jile who is a Timberwolf dealer did alot of the finish work (he's really good with that stuff),, Of course, I was jabbin him the whole time about my splitter being better than the one's he sells...hehehe..
I did convince him to join here but have'nt seen him post anything...I think his screen name is MrTimberwolf...

The table was not real easy to slide logs on, so I went searching...
Ended up buying some paint from tractor supply that has a ton of graphite in it,......stuff slides now with VERY LITTLE effort....

Well, I gotta be honest,, the fab work was my idea, but I had some other guys actually do the work.......I did the design for the most part..
Actually, My buddy Jile who is a Timberwolf dealer did alot of the finish work (he's really good with that stuff),, Of course, I was jabbin him the whole time about my splitter being better than the one's he sells...hehehe..
I did convince him to join here but have'nt seen him post anything...I think his screen name is MrTimberwolf...

The table was not real easy to slide logs on, so I went searching...
Ended up buying some paint from tractor supply that has a ton of graphite in it,......stuff slides now with VERY LITTLE effort....

Good deal, must be some tough paint. The table shows no wear across it. How do you like the electric? Wired for 110v or 220v? I'm already thinking of doing the electric add to mine and have the option of both when needed, splitting outside or inside the shop.

Back