New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually was going to paint them first. I didn't want to waste the time if it wasn't the right height though.

Along with not taking action pic's, I suck at making things look "nice". I'm all go and no show!

Have you blocked the rear end yet? And how's the height for you? Hope the height increase works out for your back. Fortunately, knock on wood, I've yet to have any back issues but some days it sure feels like it. Healing now ain't nowhere like it used to be in younger years.

No doubt, USMC. U got a taste of what this machine can do. Im digging logs out from under 18" of snow, frozen to each other, just to run it for 3 minutes at a clip. Its addictive to see what tough split it will handle next. So far, for what i believe to be a J model, no disappointments. Your HD has got to be a beast! I made a quick video today, but i cant seem to upload from my phone

No doubt, USMC. U got a taste of what this machine can do. Im digging logs out from under 18" of snow, frozen to each other, just to run it for 3 minutes at a clip. Its addictive to see what tough split it will handle next. So far, for what i believe to be a J model, no disappointments. Your HD has got to be a beast! I made a quick video today, but i cant seem to upload from my phone

Glad to hear your SS is running well. As far as identifying your model, others I'm sure can chime in with insight. I believe up until about 3 yrs ago, and don't quote me on this, but both J and HD models had 75 lb/ea flywheels, only thing different was the rack carriage and bearing setup and possibly the engagement cam lever bearing(s). Since that time, the HD now sports a pair of 90 lb flywheels. Again don't quote me and I'm sure if you forwarded Paul or Connor at SS the pics you took, they could certainly tell what you've got. Enjoy splitting the dug up rounds from the snow. We wouldn't even know how to act in mid-Ga with 18" of snow on the ground...a rare few inches here shuts this entire place down, Lol.

Thanks for the pics guys. Showrguy, how many consecutive days have you done with your set-up? I ask because the plastic handle does not take enough of the shock loading of the engagement away for my liking and I tend to get some soreness after a while. This is why I like being able to swap sides and use the other hand when the scenario allows it. Also, in your case it looks like you are pretty stationary, so I guess can organise your splitting area prefect for your needs. I'll need to split on different sides of the machine depending on the location it is - I take it to different sites.

It sure would be nice to have the extra storage room on the table to accommodate the re-split bits that multiply when breaking down a large round. I'm thinking perhaps a pin on/off extension that can be flipped both ways depending on which side I'm working on.

Nice idea on the splitting table paint. I had the same epiphany when splitting largish rounds during the onslaught of a tropical cyclone here (way too much fun splitting with this machine to stop just for howling wind and torrential rain). The rounds and re-splits were sliding all over the very wet table in that rain and it took a wee while to work out a system to minimise them sliding off before being split to size. But, as you have learned, the radically less effort to do all the re-splitting is quite a joy that is hard to understand until you experience it for yourself. It sure makes for a heck less fatigue at the end of each day.

My search for slipperiness lead me to UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) sheeting. Very hard wearing, super low friction. Dropped the mounting half an inch and put on the 1/2" UHMWPE sheet, so it all sits flush with the beam. Magic outcome. Very pleased with it after a number of years and probably around 500 cords with the table on. It's showing naff-all or rather insignificant wear too.

Another benefit to such slippery tables that may not be immediately obvious is the potential for radically less wear on the rack and pinion from the engagement procedure. The easier it is to slide the wood back to the wedge for another split, the more chance we have to engage the rack and pinion at that moment when the carriage rebounds off the rubber bumpers. For that brief instant, the rack is moving in the same direction as the pinion gear, thus the meshing of the two is silent and easy. Not so hard to do on the big rounds that can take a little more time to get back in front of the wedge, but for all the re-splits and smaller rounds, it's a wonderful zone to be splitting in when it all becomes kinda zen. That sort of rhythm is one of my happy places for sure.

CUCV is the real SS mod' genius amongst us though. From extra flywheels to four-way wedges and cam followers rather than the carriage lift bearing.

Some mods still on my to-do list are:

Telescopic/sprung legs; gets it down lower when towing around job sites and allows me to set it up levelish on sloping sites.
Sorbothane sock on the handle; to see if can reduce the engagement strain/shocks.
A better grill + chute off the end of the table than what I have now.
That clip-on table extension I mentioned above.

I also had making it highway towable on my list too, but have decided I aint paying 'the man' another set of registration fees, etc.

Have you blocked the rear end yet? And how's the height for you? Hope the height increase works out for your back. Fortunately, knock on wood, I've yet to have any back issues but some days it sure feels like it. Healing now ain't nowhere like it used to be in younger years.

Yes, I blocked both ends to keep it level, just higher.

Thanks for the pics guys. Showrguy, how many consecutive days have you done with your set-up? I ask because the plastic handle does not take enough of the shock loading of the engagement away for my liking and I tend to get some soreness after a while. This is why I like being able to swap sides and use the other hand when the scenario allows it. Also, in your case it looks like you are pretty stationary, so I guess can organise your splitting area prefect for your needs. I'll need to split on different sides of the machine depending on the location it is - I take it to different sites.

It sure would be nice to have the extra storage room on the table to accommodate the re-split bits that multiply when breaking down a large round. I'm thinking perhaps a pin on/off extension that can be flipped both ways depending on which side I'm working on.

Nice idea on the splitting table paint. I had the same epiphany when splitting largish rounds during the onslaught of a tropical cyclone here (way too much fun splitting with this machine to stop just for howling wind and torrential rain). The rounds and re-splits were sliding all over the very wet table in that rain and it took a wee while to work out a system to minimise them sliding off before being split to size. But, as you have learned, the radically less effort to do all the re-splitting is quite a joy that is hard to understand until you experience it for yourself. It sure makes for a heck less fatigue at the end of each day.

My search for slipperiness lead me to UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) sheeting. Very hard wearing, super low friction. Dropped the mounting half an inch and put on the 1/2" UHMWPE sheet, so it all sits flush with the beam. Magic outcome. Very pleased with it after a number of years and probably around 500 cords with the table on. It's showing naff-all or rather insignificant wear too.

Another benefit to such slippery tables that may not be immediately obvious is the potential for radically less wear on the rack and pinion from the engagement procedure. The easier it is to slide the wood back to the wedge for another split, the more chance we have to engage the rack and pinion at that moment when the carriage rebounds off the rubber bumpers. For that brief instant, the rack is moving in the same direction as the pinion gear, thus the meshing of the two is silent and easy. Not so hard to do on the big rounds that can take a little more time to get back in front of the wedge, but for all the re-splits and smaller rounds, it's a wonderful zone to be splitting in when it all becomes kinda zen. That sort of rhythm is one of my happy places for sure.

CUCV is the real SS mod' genius amongst us though. From extra flywheels to four-way wedges and cam followers rather than the carriage lift bearing.

Telescopic/sprung legs; gets it down lower when towing around job sites and allows me to set it up levelish on sloping sites.
Sorbothane sock on the handle; to see if can reduce the engagement strain/shocks.

I also had making it highway towable on my list too, but have decided I aint paying 'the main' another set of registration fees, etc.

Good insight KiwiBro...ideas/mods discussed in the SS threads make for great brainstorming and simplifying of the wood splitting task. I always liked your UHMWPE idea and mod. I agree as well, CUCV is the ' Mod Master.' He's done some really tricked out things to his machines.

I posted 2 quick videos on youtube under the heading "used supersplit find". These are my first videos ever, so please excuse the camera work.

I posted 2 quick videos on youtube under the heading "used supersplit find". These are my first videos ever, so please excuse the camera work.

Just watched both vids Chris on YouTube and left comments per each. Nice machine and again one helluva find. Absolutely nothing wrong with the camer work. Spare parts alone that you got just sweeten it even more. Two thumbs up buddy. :)

I watched your video, very nice machine. I do have a question and a comment. #1 Are you making kindling or do you need your splits that small? Not to rile up all of the SS boys on here but watching your video I have to say I could finish those splits and rounds your were working on much faster with my hydraulic splitter. I would just wave at the splitter on my way by as I walked by it to throw each of those chunks in my OWB. Not trying to say mine is better or start a fight just an observation. Again very nice machine and may it split cord after cord in the years to come.

I also had making it highway towable on my list too, but have decided I aint paying 'the main' another set of registration fees, etc.

Kiwi,
I have used the splitter on consecutive days without any noticeable soreness....I am not splitting for 8 hrs. at a time either..
I do move my splitter around, but being able to load the backhoe bucket with rounds makes life so much easier for me.... I realize not everybody has that option..
I did look for a used SS for several years, only found 2 that were both over 20 yrs. old, and the sellers still wanted 3/4 of new price for em..
I really like the electric SS, nice and quiet..
And CUCV is the man when it comes to the SS, his videos and 1 call to SS, 5 minutes of talking to Paul, I was sold on the SS..
Btw, my table is 4 ft. X 5 ft. long, I know I've had 1000 pounds of oak rounds on it at one time...

I watched your video, very nice machine. I do have a question and a comment. #1 Are you making kindling or do you need your splits that small? Not to rile up all of the SS boys on here but watching your video I have to say I could finish those splits and rounds your were working on much faster with my hydraulic splitter. I would just wave at the splitter on my way by as I walked by it to throw each of those chunks in my OWB. Not trying to say mine is better or start a fight just an observation. Again very nice machine and may it split cord after cord in the years to come.
A lot of us have 'wood stoves' that take small splits.

I haven't felt the need to modify anything on the J model. Just split cord after cord after cord, etc... It's actually fun to split wood now. :D

I agree with that. After putting the Split Second Outrigger front stabilizer legs on, I may put a swivel trailer jack w/6" caster on the front main leg. It's not overly difficult to move so that little trick will probably get backburnered.

A lot of us have 'wood stoves' that take small splits.

Second that...I burn small, med size splits at best in my wood stove in the shop. About the same in the living room open fireplace, more towards medium splits. I prefer these sizes so I add a variable of control for the length of the burn in case anything goes on, I'm not leaving an inferno for any length of time. And no OWB/furnaces, etc that I'm aware of around this locale.

Thnx USMC, And Dogsout. What i split yesterday in the video, are in fact small splits( not quite kindling size). A back injury last year has left me short on wood this year. So what i split yesterday, are mixed in the stove today. Those rounds and 1/4 rounds are also buried behind my trailer, so i did kinda grab the easy stuff to split, in hopes of it being on the dryer side.

Kiwi,
I have used the splitter on consecutive days without any noticeable soreness....I am not splitting for 8 hrs. at a time either..
I do move my splitter around, but being able to load the backhoe bucket with rounds makes life so much easier for me.... I realize not everybody has that option..
I did look for a used SS for several years, only found 2 that were both over 20 yrs. old, and the sellers still wanted 3/4 of new price for em..
I really like the electric SS, nice and quiet..
And CUCV is the man when it comes to the SS, his videos and 1 call to SS, 5 minutes of talking to Paul, I was sold on the SS..
Btw, my table is 4 ft. X 5 ft. long, I know I've had 1000 pounds of oak rounds on it at one time...
Have been looking at 'lecky motors lately. Is yours single or three phase? Any idea what sort of HP or Kw rating it is?
Do you run it with a generator when not near a power outlet?

Any concerns running it outside in wet weather?

Have been looking at 'lecky motors lately. Is yours single or three phase? Any idea what sort of HP or Kw rating it is?
Do you run it with a generator when not near a power outlet?

Any concerns running it outside in wet weather?
Mine is single phase wired for 110, and can be converted/rewired to 220 easily. (I think it's a 1 hp. motor)
Most all of my splitting is within 100 ft or so of power, so no need for generator.....It's easier for me to bring wood to the splitter, than to take the splitter to the wood......in most casses..
No fear of operating outdoors when it's wet out.....but I ain't splittin in the rain for sure............not cause I don't wanna get electricuted ,, cause I don't wanna get wet >>..lol..

View attachment 407759

It turns out I still suck at action shots. I always get wrapped up and forget to take during pic's.

I was looking around my shop for some 4" square tubing but all I could find was 3". That's when I stumbled on some green treated 4x6. I figured it would work for now just to see if the height is right. Truth is, if it works, I'll probably never get around to putting steel in there.

It added 3 1/2" overall.

Either way, here's a pic of how it looks for now.

Joesell, how'd the 4x6 block height increase work out for you/your back? Did you run nylon/nylok nuts and curious as to any vibration increase/decrease or otherwise?

Didn't get to run it today, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. I did run it in the shop but being on concrete, the vibrations were even worse.

Didn't get to run it today, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. I did run it in the shop but being on concrete, the vibrations were even worse.

I certainly understand the increase in vib's on concrete...height feel like it's right? Maybe the weather will give you a break soon and give it a go outdoors. Strange weather down here...will be near 80 Wed, right back to lows in the 30's/highs in the mid-50's Fri thru Sun. Trust me, fluctuations like that are a sinus killer. Lol

Back