New (to me) 084 - Cracked decomp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowbeard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My new 084 parts saw showed up today. Surprisingly, when I pulled it to check to see if I could figure out what the compression was it turned over and caught for a second (guess the seller didn't totally empty it).

So, I took things apart to take a look at the crack I knew was in the decomp valve. It was worse than I had expected. I was able to take the decomp out just with my fingers. I did so and took some pictures. Then I put it back in. I thought I might tighten it down a turn or two and see if I could actually get the saw to start. That turned out to be a mistake; one partial turn with a wrench and the whole decomp screw section came off as shown below (stupid me). I am assuming, however, that this means it was probably too far gone to weld anyway, though I would welcome opinions.

However, as you can see, overall the saw is in pretty good shape (maybe better than the one I am currently running, just looking it over - minus the cracked jug, of course, which is a killer). In any event, I think it may be worth putting a new jug on and running. It even has a full wrap handle, which I would want in a saw I might use for felling.

Any thoughts or advice are VERY appreciated. Do I just go ahead and order the jug/piston set from Cross and replace? If so, how hard is that job? I am pretty tempted to use my cheap but reliable saw mechanic instead of trying to do it myself - would rather be out using my other saw than in trying to fix this one.

BTW - got the whole thing from Canada for $260 plus $80 shipping, which I though was pretty good from FEEbay considering the shape it's in.

2015-05-08 17.17.58.jpg
2015-05-08 17.17.22.jpg 2015-05-08 17.20.43.jpg 2015-05-08 17.09.38.jpg 2015-05-08 17.20.48 HDR.jpg 2015-05-08 17.10.37.jpg 2015-05-08 17.15.21.jpg

Send Shaun a message. He should be able to fix it. Might have to build it up and re tap it or weld it shut if you don't want a decomp.

Send Shaun a message. He should be able to fix it. Might have to build it up and re tap it or weld it shut if you don't want a decomp.

OK. Assuming Shaun is Srcarr on here?

Since you undoubtedly know a lot more about this (and probably all) models of saw than I do, what is your general overall impression of the shape of the rest of it? As of this moment I am feeling like I got a decent deal on accident. I also am realizing that I had better build a house with a garage fast because I feel early-onset CAD coming on.

Yeah he is srcarr52

Doesn't look too bad. It has the smaller filter which won't be as good for milling. A velocity stack set up might be the way to go on it.
%

Well, I actually would like to just use this saw for felling and sawing up big stuff. Originally I bought it to get the chain brake handle off of it after breaking the one on the saw you sold me (which is still performing GREAT by the way - especially after I put a max-flow on it). The only other saw I have is my dad's old 028 woodboss. Don't get me wrong, it's still a hell of a saw, just a bit small for some work.

So, anyway, I bought this one to part it, but when I got it it seemed like it was in pretty good shape, and it had a full wrap handle, which I have felt like I needed when felling other big trees, so I decided that if it was in good enough shape, maybe I could just fix it up to use as a free-hand saw when I needed a bigger one and then just leave the chain break off of the one you sold me and leave it attached to the mill more or less permanently - especially if I consider re-designing/building my mill in a bobl design of some kind.

If I still DID want better air flow on this saw, is there a way to change that out? It seems like a totally different system than the one that was on the saw I got from you. Assuming from what I have seen that there are a couple of different air intake setups for the saw. What I don't know is if that requires a couple of different carbs.

Good deal.

I wouldn't worry about a brake on the milling saw.

A velocity stack set up would be able to work with what you have and a small thin piece of UHMW or something like that. I've got one on my 046 now.

70841e6a88d2f3dd856d77598ac0cc40.jpg

Thanks to srcarr for fixing my cylinder and mdavlee for recommending him. Looks pretty clean inside. I couldn't have asked for better work from srcarr. Dropped the cylinder off about an hour ago at the mechanic and I'm hoping to get the saw back later this week so I can do some work for a client and cut up a giant maple I found recently. I'll let everyone know how the saw works, but the mechanic says it appears very little used - only fair as the last saw I bought on Feebay was not in all that good of shape.

IMG_4568.JPG IMG_4575.JPG IMG_4578.JPG IMG_4577.JPG

Latest posts

Back