New to me Stihl 036.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean.nickelson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
New to the site. This is my first chainsaw. My BIL gave me an 036 for a couple of reasons. First, I needed a saw and second, it needed work.

Issues I know about so far. 16 inch rollomatic es bar needed a new nose, I've already fixed that. The major problem with the saw is that the crankcase is busted. There's a big hole in the oil resivour, about 1/2 dollar size. Somebody tried to fix the hole with jb weld and a piece of license plate... it still leaked oil.

I found a used crankcase on Fleabay and it should be here tomorrow. I have a gasket and seal set already. I have a new spark plug and fuel filter. It has good compression. No scoring on the piston that I can see through the exhaust or intake ports.

It ran when he stored it. I'm not sure how long it was in storage. I've had it for about a year and I'm finally getting around to working on it. Is there anything I need to know about the disassembly process? Any tips to make it easier?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sean

Welcome!

Honestly, you have a lot if reading to do. You will need to buy or fab up a case splitter and seal puller. Again read, read, read and read some more. Get ready because you exhibit the early stages of CAD.

I've been reading and I'm a pretty handy shade tree mechanic. I just finished building a smoker, from scrap, thus the need to fix the saw. I need to be able to cut my own wood.

I took some more of the saw apart after posting earlier. I'm down to the flywheel and splitting the case.

Other than some carbon build up the piston and cylinder look pretty good. They also look to be original parts. Bearings feel smooth and there's no play.

I'll post pics tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

CAD must be Chaisaw Addiction Disease. If so I've already been looking for a small limb saw.... yep I've got symptoms.

It may be easier to find someone that welds magnesium to weld up the hole.
Splitting the case requires some tools and knowledge.
A case splitter, heat gun, flywheel puller, pressure/vac gauge, seals, gaskets, and you may as well replace bearings while you are in there.

If the flea bay crankcase has the crank installed and sealed you could put some crank seals in that one and swap parts and jug. If that works out then split the case with the hole in it to learn on.

You have a lot of options and the 036 is a solid saw that is an easy, simple saw to start on. The only pain is the oil line but the second one will be easier.

i have a good low end (crank, bearings casses and new seals ) if you need it ......it is from a 036 pro and all you will need to do is bolt everything on .....pm me if you need it (i can send you pics from my phone )

If u have patience and mechanical skill u can do this.
All u have to do is google any part of the strip down and it's usually there on utube lolol .
And if u have any questions on the build just ask this site and u will get use running over each other trying to help u. The stihl 036 is a great saw to rebuild. A hole lot of parts on eBay to rebuild it a very good prices. U can rip though a lot of hard wood with a 24inch bar. That saw can eat. Good luck !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the flea bay crankcase has the crank installed and sealed you could put some crank seals in that one and swap parts and jug. If that works out then split the case with the hole in it to learn on.
This. If the bearings feel tight just clean it up and replace the seals. Remember the clutch is left hand thread. That's lefty tighty. ;)
The tank swap isn't too bad to do. If you have any questions just post em here.

New smilies! :muscle:

Here are the pictures of my progress.

Here's the hole and the repair attempt.
20141209_215625.jpg

Here's the piston and cylinder.
20141209_222537.jpg

20141209_222543.jpg

Now for a question. What's the best/easiest way to clean the carbon off the piston face and out of the cylinder?

I'm going to try my hand at fabricating up some specialty tools tonight.

New to the site. This is my first chainsaw. My BIL gave me an 036 for a couple of reasons. First, I needed a saw and second, it needed work.

Issues I know about so far. 16 inch rollomatic es bar needed a new nose, I've already fixed that. The major problem with the saw is that the crankcase is busted. There's a big hole in the oil resivour, about 1/2 dollar size. Somebody tried to fix the hole with jb weld and a piece of license plate... it still leaked oil.

I found a used crankcase on Fleabay and it should be here tomorrow. I have a gasket and seal set already. I have a new spark plug and fuel filter. It has good compression. No scoring on the piston that I can see through the exhaust or intake ports.

It ran when he stored it. I'm not sure how long it was in storage. I've had it for about a year and I'm finally getting around to working on it. Is there anything I need to know about the disassembly process? Any tips to make it easier?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sean
What is the compression reading?

For removing the flywheel, I spin off the nut with a butterfly impact (using a 1/2" deep well socket) and then screw the nut partially back onto the crank leaving some space between the top of the flywheel and the bottom of the nut. Then I put the deep well socket back on the flanged nut, grab a flywheel fin close to the center of the flywheel with a sturdy duck bill pliers, lift the saw with the pliers about 2" off the bench and whack the socket with a 12oz brass hammer. Any hammer will work but not a soft one. Usually one good crack with the hammer will separate the flywheel from the taper of the crank. I have done this many many times and never had any poor results other than breaking off part of a flywheel fin once (in the learning curve stage)
A butterfly impact ratchet is a vital piece of equipment for me when I work on saws and use it daily. Works especially well on getting clutches off. No piston stops or rope stuffing, no need to have the spark plug installed, it just easily spins clutches off.

i have a good low end (crank, bearings casses and new seals ) if you need it ......it is from a 036 pro and all you will need to do is bolt everything on .....pm me if you need it (i can send you pics from my phone )

Rich I sent you a PM.

Thanks for the tip Fear. I'll try that tonight.

Edit to the above post. I worked on an 026 (later version) this afternoon and the flywheel nut was not flanged. This precludes the use of the socket on the nut. So I just hit the nut itself. It's a little harder to target but it worked ok. I think in the future, I would pull a flanged nut off another saw or out of my hardware supply and use that as it works better. The 036 is a close cousin of the 026 so not sure if your nut is flanged or not.

Yes the nut was flanged. It worked like a charm. I got the flywheel off in a few good whacks.

IT'S ALIVE!! I've got it back together and running. My stock oil cap doesn't fit... I wonder if this is a newer crankcase?

I need a chain, bar oil, and an oil cap. So close to being done.

Rick, I still want your crankcase assembly as a backup.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Awsome dude
Who's crankcase is it
It may be a newer stile cap on it if the crank case was listed for 036 OR 360 crankcase
I'll send pics of both
Good job dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back