Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConservationNation

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 20" Timberpro 62cc under the impression that I was going to be doing mostly light cutting. Turns out the plot of land I'm working on is mostly large felled trees that need bucking and stumping, along with some bigger standing honey locusts.
I'm getting a quality replacement chain asap, what else can I do to make sure the saw is up to the task? Does anybody have experience with Timberpro?
Thanks guys!

take it back.get a new one from anyone else. i could think of 50 good saws,from 4 or 5 manufactures.

Do all the small stuff and bucking first. That should give you a good idea what the saw can handle. In any case, if you are doing a bunch of falling, you should have a spare saw available on site anyway in case something goes wrong mid cut.

I purchased a 20" Timberpro 62cc under the impression that I was going to be doing mostly light cutting. Turns out the plot of land I'm working on is mostly large felled trees that need bucking and stumping, along with some bigger standing honey locusts.
I'm getting a quality replacement chain asap, what else can I do to make sure the saw is up to the task? Does anybody have experience with Timberpro?
Thanks guys!
Welcome to AS CN.
Congrats on the new saw. Some have had ok experiences with them but most have not. You may not have a problem with the chain as they have improved them it all just depends on who they sourced it from and out of what batch it came from as the quality can vary a lot on the AM productucts.

I would look at the purchase of the timber pro as a beginning purchase and be ready to put out a much larger outlay of cash. Just remember moving forward to get advice before buying, not after and you should be able to save yourself a lot of cash in the long run.
One thing you should be buying right off the bat is some safety gear including a set of chaps and a hardhat with hearing protection attached to it.
Then you will want some wedges both for felling trees and for bucking them up so you don't get your one saw jammed in any of the trees your bucking up(this is primarily for larger trees).
Lot's of other expenses like a nice can for your mix and some good files for sharpening chains as well as maybe a nice little guide. The files will be needed very quickly cutting honey locust.
Lots of other things, but this will get you started.
Also where about are you, there are most likely members in your area that would be more than happy to give a hand unless this is a job for you.
Be safe,
Brett

Got out in the field today. I was impressed by how well it handled; in all honesty, it cut just as well as my 362 did. Amazing for <$130 shipped.
I did have my fair share of problems though. The saw is an absolute gashog. Looking at the internals, maintenance is going to be hard. It's like it's not designed to be taken apart.
It feels solid, but it's clear that some parts that should be metal are plastic.
The spark arrestor assembly (in this case, what looks like a block of steel wire sitting in a perforated tray) broke off inside the muffler, and the resulting heat melted the chain brake handle and part of the sprocket cover. I've contacted Timberpro, and their warranty SHOULD cover it, we'll see.
All in all, I probably would have been better served with a used professional saw, but I think I can make this work.
Lessons learned.

Got out in the field today. I was impressed by how well it handled; in all honesty, it cut just as well as my 362 did. Amazing for <$130 shipped.
I did have my fair share of problems though. The saw is an absolute gashog. Looking at the internals, maintenance is going to be hard. It's like it's not designed to be taken apart.
It feels solid, but it's clear that some parts that should be metal are plastic.
The spark arrestor assembly (in this case, what looks like a block of steel wire sitting in a perforated tray) broke off inside the muffler, and the resulting heat melted the chain brake handle and part of the sprocket cover. I've contacted Timberpro, and their warranty SHOULD cover it, we'll see.
All in all, I probably would have been better served with a used professional saw, but I think I can make this work.
Lessons learned.
Someone's signature says essentially that experience is what you get when things don't go as planned. As previously stated just get some advice here before you next purchase and it may save a little bit of grief down the road.
Also if you look at my signature it says work not only to earn, but to learn. The experience you got will be as good as earnings in the future if you learn from them.
Hopefully they take care of you well. Keep us informed as to how it goes.

CN,
I have the same saw. I'll admit the chains leave much to be desired. The bars are about the same. The bar grooves are a bit to wide for the .058 chain they supply with them. I will probably try a loop of .063 chain just to see how that does.
I've put about 8 tanks through mine so far and other than my chain/bar complaint I really have nothing bad to say about it. It does use a bit of gas but I am comparing to my other saws which are 54cc or less so with a larger engine and a 24" bar of course it will use more.
I regards to the muffler issue, mine has not come apart yet but I have ordered a dual outlet non-cat replacement to help the exhaust flow for a little extra power.
Alot of people are very brand loyal and I get that China is not known for their quality products but so far I am not unhappy considering the price paid for a saw this size. I've had the 24" bar burried in oak and it did fine.
You can Google Timberpro dealers and find where to source warranty parts. I actually found one here in Ohio somewhere. Don't recall the city. Good luck and enjoy.

CN,
I have the same saw. I'll admit the chains leave much to be desired. The bars are about the same. The bar grooves are a bit to wide for the .058 chain they supply with them. I will probably try a loop of .063 chain just to see how that does.
I've put about 8 tanks through mine so far and other than my chain/bar complaint I really have nothing bad to say about it. It does use a bit of gas but I am comparing to my other saws which are 54cc or less so with a larger engine and a 24" bar of course it will use more.
I regards to the muffler issue, mine has not come apart yet but I have ordered a dual outlet non-cat replacement to help the exhaust flow for a little extra power.
Alot of people are very brand loyal and I get that China is not known for their quality products but so far I am not unhappy considering the price paid for a saw this size. I've had the 24" bar burried in oak and it did fine.
You can Google Timberpro dealers and find where to source warranty parts. I actually found one here in Ohio somewhere. Don't recall the city. Good luck and enjoy.
Where did you get the aftermarket muffler? I think the stock muffler is the weak link, as it vents hot gas right onto the chain brake. Aside from that, I've had no issues with the saw yet!

It looks like a non-cat muffler so it should flow better than the stock cat type. Exhaust exits in the same way though. I didn't notice mine shooting hot exhaust on the chain brake.

It looks like a non-cat muffler so it should flow better than the stock cat type. Exhaust exits in the same way though. I didn't notice mine shooting hot exhaust on the chain brake.
Thanks, let me know how that thing works for you. I'll have to run it some to see if the new muffler fixed the issue, hope so.

I had mine out again today, in a 24" oak trunk. She did just fine, for a clone saw so far I like it. When I get the muffler I'll let you know how it does. I'm expecting some sort of gains from a better exhaust flow and lower engines temps. Those cats get very hot, heat is not good.

I had mine out again today, in a 24" oak trunk. She did just fine, for a clone saw so far I like it. When I get the muffler I'll let you know how it does. I'm expecting some sort of gains from a better exhaust flow and lower engines temps. Those cats get very hot, heat is not good.
The new muffler on my saw seems to have fixed the heating issue, used it to do some bucking and limbing today. I have noticed very light scoring on the piston though, I wonder if that's because of me using 40:1, the crappy air filter, or the muffler issue... dunno.

Yes, the air filter isn't up to the task. Mine seems to let fine dust through. I've tried sealing the seam where the two halves connect with some tape but that only slowed it down. It's very difficult to tell where it's getting in. Every time I refill the tank I remove the air filter and clean it out and spray the carb throat with carb cleaner to flush out any fine dust that's in there. If I could figure this out I'd be very happy with the saw. That's the one downfall so far. If anyone has a suggestion is love to hear it.

i've seen some awful bad "brand name saws" too--

my guess is a muffler mod,maybe a carb adjustment , a good bar and chain are going to get whatever the TP has to give-- a sharp properly sharpened chain goes a long way.

i would not overburden that slug with an overly long bar either --

Yes, the air filter isn't up to the task. Mine seems to let fine dust through. I've tried sealing the seam where the two halves connect with some tape but that only slowed it down. It's very difficult to tell where it's getting in. Every time I refill the tank I remove the air filter and clean it out and spray the carb throat with carb cleaner to flush out any fine dust that's in there. If I could figure this out I'd be very happy with the saw. That's the one downfall so far. If anyone has a suggestion is love to hear it.
Have you tried the new muffler yet? I just melted ANOTHER chain brake assembly. Ran it in 18-25" hardwood for a few hours straight, and it did the same thing as last time.
It sucks because it's a pretty strong saw for the price. It always starts right up and cuts well.

I have the muffler. I'm going to put it on tonight after work and retune the carb. Supposed to rain over the weekend so not sure if I'll get much cutting done. I want to at least try it on a few cuts though to see if I notice the difference.

I was able to get the muffler installed today and retune the carb. It took a bit more fuel on the high end to get her to sound right at WOT so I'm thinking it could have gained a little power as a result. I did not get a chance to cut into anything today though.
You say you keep melting the chain brake. Where does your muffler exit? Mine (both of them) exit the front but the two exhaust "tubes" have an angle towards the chain brake/bar but it hasn't melted anything. When in a large cut the front of the saw isn't close enough to the log to hold that heat on the chain brake due to the bucking spikes keeping some bit of space between log and front of saw.

Back