Newbie here, need advice on chainsaw selection.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I go with the Dolmar 7910 78cc saw or the Stihl ms 461 76 cc for milling.

• preferences saw cc

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • parts availability

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

stillsurfing05

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Plan on doing some milling soon but what to make sure I buy a saw with enough power to mill Live Oak and Black Walnut. I had a Sacs/Dolmar for years and was impressed with the saw but the local Stihl dealer is only a few blocks away for service if needed. I have around 1k +/- for saw funds. Thanks for any advice! This is "Great" f0rum and so glad I found it.
Thanks,

Lol that's a little deceptive of me. I live next to a Forestry Service. So the owner let's me cut and take my stuff,as long as i don't take any of the money trees, ie longer than 10ft, no rot, hard wood.

Thanks for the advice all…Think I'll go with the MS461 at my local dealer, saw with 25" bar w/chain was 1059.00 out the door. Once again thanks for the help!

I'll check into that Robb. I have a 141le Husqvana that's 10+ yrs old and have had no problems with it. Are you milling with the 395xp? Your thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks,

Hi, i mill exclusively with the 395xp. I really don't think you can do better. Thats a bunch of money for a 76 cc saw!! You can get the 395 with 28" bar for the same money. I know which one i would pick. Its not even a close contest!! If u want something smaller you can get one of the bigger dolmars for WAY less money. Robb

I really like the Dolmars Rob, had one for years and it loved to eat wood. I was looking at the 7910 78cc (around 900+/-) but don't have a dealer in town and the Stihl is a few blocks away. Can a 78cc saw handle Oaks and Walnut? I just don't want to invest all this money and be underpowered. I'm in no rush to pull the trigger on anything so any advice would help.

That is a beast! Common sense would be to get the Husq over the Stihl..no tax either I assume. Also could purchase a 32" bar and still have some cash left over. Decision made.
Thanks Rob!

That is a beast! Common sense would be to get the Husq over the Stihl..no tax either I assume. Also could purchase a 32" bar and still have some cash left over. Decision made.
Thanks Rob!

You're welcome. I know a lot of these guys preach about buying local but they must have a bunch more money to throw away than me!! . Robb

Latest posts

Back