Newbie Looking for Advice (or reassurance)....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtt485

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off I want to say that I am aware these kinds of questions have been asked plenty of times by people looking to buy a first or new saw but I felt some of my reasoning behind the direction I am leaning was unique to me and therefore wanted to see what input I could gather from this crowd and appreciate your thoughts in advance.

I am in my mid-thirties with 2 young kids. I live outside of Boston, MA and have no need for a chainsaw at home, however, I do own 75 acres in NH where we hunt, camp, maintain, etc... I have minimal time operating a chainsaw though it is something I have done before. I am handy, mechanically inclined and like buying the right tool the first time (budget conscience of course). That said here is where I am at:

I want an all around chainsaw, firewood, limbing, occasional felling/trail clearing and cutting. I want something light and easy to carry and maneuver. I like technology so the AutoTune/M-Tronic features are of interest. I have used a handful of 455 Ranchers, local friends and my father have that saw. Seems like a fine piece of equipment but my research here has led me to believe that a saw from the 'pro lines' is more likely to yield a lifetime tool I can use 15 years from now and beyond or can hand down to my son for his use.

So, my research and $600 budget have led me to the Husky 550XP and the Stihl MS 261 C-M. I originally had planned on a 20" bar but I have started leaning towards an 18" bar, also based on reading I have done on this site so any input there would be great as well. I know the Stihl vs Husky debate is akin to a Ford vs Chevy debate so that isn't what I am looking for. I am more interested in the features unique to these saws and if anyone has any reasoning as to why those features make one of these saws a better fit for me over the other. Keep in mind, the saw will more than likely stay in its stock form for its entire life.

Or, am I way off base and in need of considering other saws!!!

Given where I live, and the calls to local dealers I have made so far, I am not overly optimistic that either my Stihl or Husky dealer is going to sway the debate.

Thank you again in advance.

I like Stihl, and would recommend the MS261C. Also take a look at the Echo CS590 and CS620P.

The fact that when I called my local Stihl dealer, which happens to simply be a hardware store, he asked me what the "C" and "M" stood for in MS 261 C-M didnt give me a warm and fuzzy. I will look at the Echo's. I have obviously heard of them but they dont seem to get the love on here like Stihl and Husky. The CS590 doesnt look like it has a mag crank case and neither has an equivalent to AutoTune or M-Tronic, is that correct?

Neither has an autotune, but both are good saws. The 620 will set you back a little more than the 590, but there are at least two Echo dealers here who will make you a good deal.

The fact that when I called my local Stihl dealer, which happens to simply be a hardware store, he asked me what the "C" and "M" stood for in MS 261 C-M didnt give me a warm and fuzzy. I will look at the Echo's. I have obviously heard of them but they dont seem to get the love on here like Stihl and Husky. The CS590 doesnt look like it has a mag crank case and neither has an equivalent to AutoTune or M-Tronic, is that correct?

Whoever that "dealer" is needs to not be one.

There's an Ace Hardware in Los Anchorage that somehow became a Stihl "dealer".

Sounds similar to your situation.

Stihl needs to not be in box stores. If you walk into a Stihl dealer and it smells of lavender and fru-fru coffee and not 2 stroke exhaust, dirt and man sweat... somethings wrong!

Whoever that "dealer" is needs to not be one.

There's an Ace Hardware in Los Anchorage that somehow became a Stihl "dealer".

Sounds similar to your situation.

Stihl needs to not be in box stores. If you walk into a Stihl dealer and it smells of lavender and fru-fru coffee and not 2 stroke exhaust, dirt and man sweat... somethings wrong!

Unfortunately in this part of the country that's what you get. I found this to be the case on most items/hobbies/tools in my area. There isn't enough demand from city folk around here to support real outdoor equipment dealers, unfortunately for me. Same story with Husky, Echo and others. There is a well known hardware store in the area that sells all 3, I called them and asked to talk to THE chainsaw guy, well, if that was their chainsaw guy I might as well just head to ebay.

Welcome, your heading in the right direction. But your need is alittle different than the guy who wants a saw for backyard work or just moved to the country. You are traveling a distance to a remote site ! You need TWO saws ! If your trip is saw specific and it won't start or breaks you are done, hang your saw in a cut you got to get help, rent a saw, call bil, waste half a day and maybe even lose your new $600 saw to a thief before you get back. Split your money anyway that works but get two saws. Spike60 would be a good bet. Ken

Welcome, your heading in the right direction. But your need is alittle different than the guy who wants a saw for backyard work or just moved to the country. You are traveling a distance to a remote site ! You need TWO saws ! If your trip is saw specific and it won't start or breaks you are done, hang your saw in a cut you got to get help, rent a saw, call bil, waste half a day and maybe even lose your new $600 saw to a thief before you get back. Split your money anyway that works but get two saws. Spike60 would be a good bet. Ken

This is a good thought, and not something that crossed my mind. I own the land with a friend who has a Poulan we leave up there. Not an ideal backup saw, but better than nothing I suppose?

Unfortunately in this part of the country that's what you get. I found this to be the case on most items/hobbies/tools in my area. There isn't enough demand from city folk around here to support real outdoor equipment dealers, unfortunately for me. Same story with Husky, Echo and others. There is a well known hardware store in the area that sells all 3, I called them and asked to talk to THE chainsaw guy, well, if that was their chainsaw guy I might as well just head to ebay.

The dealer makes all the difference, I've found. Maybe there's a good one near your NH property or on the way there? We're fortunate in Uxbridge (MA) to have two good dealers in town; one sells Stihl and the other sells Husky & Echo.

I own a non-Mtronic MS261 and have demo'd a 550xp at the Husky shop and would be happy with either one. The MS261 is one pound heavier, has a great air filter system, runs reliably with excellent power, and not required repairs in the two years I've owned it, except for a broken chain brake lever after it got clipped by some falling wood. The 550xp handles like a dream and spools up quicker than the MS261. I like the Husky oil/fuel cap design better; the Stihl caps can be fussy and the fuel caps tend to leak after awhile. My preference for 50cc saws is a 16" bar/chain for all-around balance and handling for limbing, bucking and felling. 24"ø Oak is doable if need be.

Also, you will need a backup saw for the inevitable pinched bar or breakdown. 75 acres isn't exactly a carrot patch...

if i didn't have the non m-tronic ms261 i would have bought the 550xp both are great saws another option is the new echo 490 it looks good and i really like the two 590s i have
they are around 350.oo with a five year warranty.

First off I want to say that I am aware these kinds of questions have been asked plenty of times by people looking to buy a first or new saw but I felt some of my reasoning behind the direction I am leaning was unique to me and therefore wanted to see what input I could gather from this crowd and appreciate your thoughts in advance.

I am in my mid-thirties with 2 young kids. I live outside of Boston, MA and have no need for a chainsaw at home, however, I do own 75 acres in NH where we hunt, camp, maintain, etc... I have minimal time operating a chainsaw though it is something I have done before. I am handy, mechanically inclined and like buying the right tool the first time (budget conscience of course). That said here is where I am at:

I want an all around chainsaw, firewood, limbing, occasional felling/trail clearing and cutting. I want something light and easy to carry and maneuver. I like technology so the AutoTune/M-Tronic features are of interest. I have used a handful of 455 Ranchers, local friends and my father have that saw. Seems like a fine piece of equipment but my research here has led me to believe that a saw from the 'pro lines' is more likely to yield a lifetime tool I can use 15 years from now and beyond or can hand down to my son for his use.

So, my research and $600 budget have led me to the Husky 550XP and the Stihl MS 261 C-M. I originally had planned on a 20" bar but I have started leaning towards an 18" bar, also based on reading I have done on this site so any input there would be great as well. I know the Stihl vs Husky debate is akin to a Ford vs Chevy debate so that isn't what I am looking for. I am more interested in the features unique to these saws and if anyone has any reasoning as to why those features make one of these saws a better fit for me over the other. Keep in mind, the saw will more than likely stay in its stock form for its entire life.

Or, am I way off base and in need of considering other saws!!!

Given where I live, and the calls to local dealers I have made so far, I am not overly optimistic that either my Stihl or Husky dealer is going to sway the debate.

Thank you again in advance.
there is a really nice Husqvarna 61 in the TP for a lot less than 600. Just saying..............:innocent:

I wouldnt disregard the Husqvarna 555. Similar to the 562xp but for a closer price to the 550xp. I have the 555 and while I like the inboard clutch of the 261, the 555 revs faster and I think holds the speed better through the cut. For the limited time that I am dealing with the outboard clutch in the 555 it does not bother me. I have bucked up a 34 inch maple using mine with a 20" bar. I know it would be faster with a larger saw but I only would need a larger saw once or twice a year.

That said you would be fine with either of the saws that you mentioned.

Very first saw I bought was back in 1994, a Husky, and it cost me a little more than $400. I remember that as my wife was furious over how much I spent. My BIL still has it running.
I bought off ebay because the Husky dealer here didn't know anything about larger pro-grade saws. It wasn't a case of being rude or laziness, they just never sold a saw larger than 50cc I guess. People around here don't have a lot of money, so a small less-spendy saw sells.
I bought a trashed 394 that still ran, bought some parts off Partree.com, and found this place. I lurked for a year or two but by then CAD had bittten.
You don't really need a dealer; though they are useful if you need parts and they have them in stock.
Just get a saw, get the repair manual (Husky has them online), and get to cutting. Anything happens, you can get the answer on here.

It sure sounds like the dealer you spoke to was a certain TrueValue hardware store north of Boston and IMO you'll be better off calling dealers along the I-93 corridor between Salem and Manchester NH. If your property is somewhere near the Lake Sunapee area there is also a Husqvarna dealer around Chester VT that a few locals I'd met swore by although I've never been there or dealt with them personally so take that with a big grain of salt.
What's the typical size and type of tree on your lot?
I have 2 x 550XP and while I have both 16" and 20" bars I almost always use the 16" because the balance of the combo is so good and don't find much use for the longer bar unless I am limbing. With a $600 budget I'd suggest you look at a 545 instead of a 550XP and use the $100 saved to get some proper PPE. You should have just about enough left over in your budget to be able to also pick up a 20" bar with chain if you really wanted one.

Back