Newbie question about measuring logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06switchback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Planing on cutting some hemlock and having it milled

So the whole story I built a quanset hut last year for snowmobile storage the floor is 12 inches of stone with steel cross bracing not working out well with a snowmobile skis catch the steel track spins in the stone the building is 16 x 24

The plan is to run some treated lumber the length and the flooring is going to be 2 inch rough cut hemlock boards runing the 16 foot width I built it with the intent of a 4 inch concrete floor but wood will work fine and be cheaper

I have a lot of standing hemlock I am capable of safely falling and hauling the logs but not really sure how many logs I am going to need I want to use 16 ft boards full width

Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I got some logs on the ground I cut them 17' long a couple of the tops are a little smaller diameter than I would have liked but I was able to get logs out of all 3 trees I cut this is just a start I know I need more but not sure how much
uploadfromtaptalk1440349483679.jpg

I measured all the small ends of the logs
2 x 7.5
2 x 9
10 with a slight bend
12 with a bend at the end
2 x 14

Just a rough guess after measuring I think I might have enough to cover about 20'
Does that sound right?

You have 384 square ft of floor to cover, times 2 because you'll use 2" thick lumber = 768 bf of hemlock needed. According to this calculator http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl one of your 14" dia [small end always] will have 145 bf , divided by 2 for 2" lumber will net you a little over 70 sf of floor. You can use that link to figure the rest. The ones that are crooked will have a lot of loss, depending on the amount of crook.

Thanks
I should have known there was something like that out there

The guy who was going to mill this lumber for me fell thru so got ahold of an old friend he's dropping his portable band mill off tonight and I'm makin some saw dust this should be good!

Looks like il probably need some more logs

Latest posts

Back