Newbie rope q???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdukey

Reaction score
My boys experienced tree climbing last fall utilizing the double ropes (blakes hitches). I have read as much as I can on the 'net and am still confused on the best rope to get. I would love to be able to utilize a static kernmantle but have read mixed info on this. Thanks for any info.

pdukey, I very often use a 120 foot hank of New England KM-III (Static Kernmantle) to establish an adjustable false crotch at my tie in point, running ArborMaster Blue Streak through a 2-3/8" pulley on the end of the kernmantle for a "Friction Saver", and then climbing the Blue Streak in a dynamic system. I get the benefit of the Kernmantle abrasion resistance at the crotch, I don't have to worry about isolating limbs with my Blue Streak, I get the mechanical advantage of the doubled line dynamic climbing system and the friction saver, and I get practicaly no wear on the Blue Streak except for my friction hitch. Any wear on the Kernmantle is limited to the end where the pulley is tied. The Adjustable False Crotch also saves wear on the tree cambium, especially important in recreational climbing (as someone pointed out in another thread).

The Kernmantle I have is too stiff to use by itself in a dynamic system, as it sounds like you are useing from your reference to the Blake hitch. As the name suggests, it is designed for Single Rope Technique (SRT) or double rope static technique (DbRT) rather than Dynamic Rope Technique (DRT or DdRT).

pdukey said:
My boys experienced tree climbing last fall utilizing the double ropes (blakes hitches). I have read as much as I can on the 'net and am still confused on the best rope to get. I would love to be able to utilize a static kernmantle but have read mixed info on this. Thanks for any info.

A traditional 16 strand arborist rope is a good place to start for DdRT using a Blake's. There are many brands available, the Samson Arbormaster (Bluestreak) that Fireaxman mentioned would work well. New England Ropes 1/2" Safety Blue would also be an excellent choice for you and your kids to climb on. It's easy on the hands and hold's a Blake's very well.

A static kermantle would be used for SRT and mechanical ascenders. There are some newer 24 strand static kermantles designed for tree climbing that can be used for DdRT or SRT but you should have a reason for using these ropes. They're all smaller diameter than traditional 16 strand ropes and are more difficult to grip. My experience is that they require a more finely tuned Blake's hitch which disqualifies them for beginner DdRT use IMHO.

Be aware that there is quite a bit of skill and experience involved in setting up and conducting a safe roped climb for your kids (and yourself). You might want to consult with whoever led your kids on their first climb if that is possible.
-moss

Last edited:
I think Moss is right on. See if you can contact the person who taught your kids to climb, call em up, and "hang out" with them for a day.

thank you all, my original post was hoping to use a one kernmantle for all outdoor activities but that idea is mute now. It will be quite awhile before my feet leave the ground until I am "turned in"
thanks again
robb

Back