Newbie skid steer/forestry head question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw new bobcats and skidsteers last November at the TCIA Expo in Pittsburgh. It looks like one of them could save us a lot of hard work but it would require a second trip back to base to get it, costing time and fuel. Time is definitely money. On YouTube there are some good videos to watch to help you find the machine amd accessories that'll fit your needs. I was amazed at how a guy loaded a Bobcat onto a flatbed 1-ton by backing up and using the front end loader to leverage the unit up and onto that truck. I had to watch that video three times so I could remeber that trick. It was AWESOME! A lesson I learned yesterday about my eight year old lift I bought used on eBay...buy new and know what you are getting. In the long haul it's worth it.

I'll have to disagree with your last statement.
I've got a brand new 2011 Terex PT-100 with a 2010 Tushogg head. I took delivery of the PT-100 on 02/21, and I got the Tushogg in December.
I just got back from an 800 mile trip to Lufkin, TX for warranty work on the Tushogg head. I found out that the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Spent $4500 to get it going again, which includes an hour of shop time that the mechanic spent redoing his own screw up.
The PT-100............Well, I'm just hoping their warranty is better than Tushogg's. It's got just over 125 hours, and so far the joy stick to control travel is very sluggish to non responsive, The AC quit working, and this afternoon $17 a gallon hydraulic oil started pouring out the bottom of it.
I have invested over $100,000.00 in this rig and haven't even made the first payment yet. So far I've had as much down time as working time.
So the moral to this story is that just because you buy new dosen't mean you know what your getting.

Andy

Ok, I feel a little better now. :laugh:

I like a skid steer better. You are working out in front of you, you don't run over the trees and push them down first. It cuts cleaner. Runs on side slopes better.

Lol yup that is real important for a farm owner gotta be in front:) Btw did you know it can be mounted in front:dizzy: As far as side slopes we have some serious slopes here the tractor I used I never rolled and it was a 5610 2wd a 4wd would of been awesome. Also I have a friend that picked up a kershaw and it is one bad mf.

dude... I just purchased the Diamond Forestry Head...... been in the business for over 20 years, this thing has changed the whole game for me.... absolutely off the charts... using less fuel, consumes, mulches and kicks ass. Gotta have a high flow is the only things... but it rocks.... I have the TEREX Forestry..... absolute great combo! Guy in South Dakota sells the machine and the head together great pricing! Though, I didnt buy from him... DUMB!

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 12
I'll have to disagree with your last statement.
I've got a brand new 2011 Terex PT-100 with a 2010 Tushogg head. I took delivery of the PT-100 on 02/21, and I got the Tushogg in December.
I just got back from an 800 mile trip to Lufkin, TX for warranty work on the Tushogg head. I found out that the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Spent $4500 to get it going again, which includes an hour of shop time that the mechanic spent redoing his own screw up.
The PT-100............Well, I'm just hoping their warranty is better than Tushogg's. It's got just over 125 hours, and so far the joy stick to control travel is very sluggish to non responsive, The AC quit working, and this afternoon $17 a gallon hydraulic oil started pouring out the bottom of it.
I have invested over $100,000.00 in this rig and haven't even made the first payment yet. So far I've had as much down time as working time.
So the moral to this story is that just because you buy new dosen't mean you know what your getting.

Andy

Ok, I feel a little better now. :laugh:

How time flies! I wrote my post above in 2011 and here it is 2016. I was looking for another thread on newbie and skid steer when I ran across this I wrote several years ago. I still have my 2003 Niftylift and I still do most of my mechanical repairs. I've been through a lot of study and dealt with frustrating breakdowns since then but it runs so much better since I focused on the Kohler CS6STs voltage output. I have grown in skill and interpretation knowing what every strange sound every pause and every symptom means and what the cause is. I would also say thanks publicly to the folks at Niftylift USA and UK for their support has been first class service.
Similarly I have gotten my Beeline SP-13 walk behind stump grinder running in prime condition with its Kohler CS 13 engine. It's performance like the aerial lift is so directly dependent upon solid electrical contacts and voltage output.

Back