Newbie wheel question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoker62

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Picked up a Carlton 4012 , 2011 Briggs 35 With 650 hrs. Can anyone tell me what kind of wheel and where I can get parts ? How do you know when its worn to the point of replacement 20170327_182645.jpg 20170327_182649.jpg 20170327_182645.jpg

That is a Carlton wheel and Carlton teeth. Teeth are available direct from the Carlton factory, as well as from Carlton dealers. Wow, talk bout worn out teeth. Good luck getting the nuts off those teeth. you had better have a torch handy to cut them off. The previous owner has definitely run those teeth to point of destruction.
Besides the teeth, you will need all new locking nuts to install them. You will need new tooth pockets, and, the wheel needs to be built up using hardsurface welding rod.
If you do not build up the wheel, you will be replacing the whole wheel in a couple hundred hours. It has been let go way too long. From what I see of the teeth and wheel, the previous owner did not take very good care of this machine. Better inspect those cutter wheel bearings and look closely at the poly chain and main drive belt also.
Give the factory the machine serial number to be sure you get the proper teeth. I am not sure what year they changed to the current type of teeth.

Yeah i was a litte disappointed in the wheel. The machine itself seems ok. In great shape. Bearings about 80 hrs ago. How do i know where to start and stop welds and how do you balance ?

The large smooth, flat areas on the outside face of the cutting whee,l had, when new, beads of hard surface weld running crossways. The beads covered all that smooth surface you see between the outside edge teeth. I had a welding shop do mine and they just used approx. the same number of passes on each area around the outside edge of the wheel. The Carlton factory service dept told me it is not necessary to rebalance the wheel.
Also, you will have to take several of the pockets off before you do the welding, or you will likely accidentally weld them to the wheel. You can see, if they were not so worn down, they would extend right up to where the weld is to be applied.
If you can get a good photo of a wheel on a new machine, you can see where the hard surface needs to go.

Thanks for the help . Looking into prices on all new components and will have my buddy who owns a wedding shop look at the wheel.
I also am getting info and pricing on a revolution wheel , and also an Alpine Rhino. The carbide teeth on mine look ok except where the nut side is destroyed,

Decided to go Alpine Rhino. I like the simple design and easy maintenance . Tooth replacement ease and cost is a no brainer.

Your gonna love the rhino wheel! A pain to change out the wheel but well worth it. I just put one on my carlton 5014

Latest posts

Back