newbie with a problem! imagine that

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonestar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i just got one of my new projects running today . a poulan 3800. I saved it from the scrap pile. after some tlc it cranks and runs fine but when i put the b&c on it binds , thechain wont stop and wont idle down enuf to stop without dying. the sideplate was lying next to the saw when i got it and the bar was in a seperate pile so does anyone have pics i can compre to to see if im missing parts?? thank you

sounds like the clutch is bound up. its not letting the drum "freespin" ? i would try to tap on the clutch/ drum and see if you can get it to slip free. if that does not work then you might need to use some pb blaster or such which might not be the best idea because then it might not grab when it needs to which is when you crank up the rpms

Not a poulan guy so you'll get someone along that knows much more than me. If your problem is that the chain will not stop even at idle then I'd say you have a clutch spring problem, not pulling in the clutch at low RPM's. Bound up? If your chain, bar and all are in good condition but won't spin without binding up then I'd say your bar, chain, and or sprocket setup doesn't match.

with the sideplate off, everything spins freely as "i think" it should. with everything bolted up "loosely" and the chain with slack it moves easy. but. torqe down the sideplate and then problems. i was wondering if there is a spacer im missing?

yes, the sprocket/ drum spin freearound the clutch. this b&c setup was on this saw working before the previous owner took it aprt and put it in the scrap pile.

Do you have two different chain pitches? Could you sprocket for example be .325, and you bar 3/8? I got a saw once, and that was its problem.

Post some pictures of the setup you have on that saw. Then maybe we can tell what you need or have that you don't need. ;) As far as the bar goes, most common is the D176 Oregon mount bar for them. No spacers involved. There is a "inner" bar plate that goes on the saw first, with the oiling slot, then the bar, then an "outer" bar plate. Then the cover and bar nuts.

Another bar often used on those Poulans was a Windsor made bar, those used a S-clip spacer that slipped over the bar studs. The slot in those are slightly larger than the studs. The s-clip just take up the space. There should not be any kind of spacer "sandwiched" in anywhere.

Gregg,

Back