newbie with question - 361 gearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to convert anything. They come with a 3/8-7 as mentioned above. I'd recommend agains a 8-pin sprocket. My saw is ported and still cuts faster with a 7-pin, by a small amount. This was determined with timed cuts in the same wood with the same chain and bar. Save the 8-pin for the 460 and bigger.

@ 2dogs

I come from a 024, running .325 chain. Happy owner till yesterday.
Pro:
- 024 being "general purpose", never had any problemss and saw was abused during 11 years.

Contra:
- 024 running out of power in big hardwood.

Want to upgrade, from site 361 looks as a good allrounder that will cope with the lack of power of the 024.

Question:
- correct that 361 is good replacement for 024?
- 3/8 chain vs .325 on small diameter branches. 3/8 works ok?
- which sprocket, which chain, advise please?

Profile? feel free to ask.

tatra805, I think the MS361 is the replacement your looking for, that saw is everything your 024 was and so much more.

I wouldn't worry to much about "gearing" purchase the saw with the 3/8's chain and the standard 7-pin rim sprocket and you will be fine. For the type of work you describe I would recommend getting both 18" and 24" bar and chain set-ups on the MS361. I would run the 33RSC chain on the 18" bar for clean wood and get a loop or two of the 33RM chain for the dirty wood. You might want to consider using skip chain if it's available (33RSF or 33RMF) on the 24" bar, less cutters to sharpen and less stress on the saw (faster cutting).

Rim sprockets are cheap and if you want to experiment you could get an 8-pin rim to try with the 18" bar, but you will need to switch back to the 7-pin rim for the 24" bar. Good Luck and cut safe, come back and let us know what you decided.

Maybe I should try a 6 pin? I don't think my 361 runs even 3/4 rpms that it should or even less when cutting a good size log.
I haven't been impressed with the performance of the saw yet.

Maybe I should try a 6 pin? I don't think my 361 runs even 3/4 rpms that it should or even less when cutting a good size log.
I haven't been impressed with the performance of the saw yet.

Sounds like something is wrong with that saw, unless you are standing on it while cutting - take it to the dealer for a checkup.

There are no 6-pin rims that will fit the large 7-spline clutch of the 361 - and it shouldn't be needed.........

I think I might take it in and have it checked out it just won't stay going as fast as I think it should.
And I don't think i'm pushing it too hard, maybe I expect to much from it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm learning...

have to say you are all active people! never saw such an active forum before! Just great.

News from today.

I was convinced and walked into my dealers place to order the 361. He almost got a stroke when i told him 3-6-1.:confused:

he has sold 5 pieces in the last year and 4 came back with carburator and ignition problems.:jawdrop:

He offers me a 440 for the price of a 361, just not to have to sell the 361.:clap:

We are living in forest area so 90% of his sales is pro-usage.
80% of his sales is 440. He likes them and seems to know a bit about them.

For me, holding the sacred 440 this morning i have to say besides a testosteron boost i also felt a future pain in my back.:mad:

I am afraid to run into the more-power-more-guts thing ending up with a tool which is only intended for 20% of my cutting.

As a lighter alternative he offers the 260 (240 not available here). So a little more powerfull and same weight as my 024. but only 40$ price difference with the 440 in the end.

I am very surprised by his negative experience with the 361 after been brainwashed here. Can there be a reason why here in Slovakia there are problems?
We used to have low octane fuel here but nowadays the 95 octane is the lowest and fuel quality is not down compared to western standards.

There is a big price difference between the Stihl 2T oil and the alternatives here, which would make me presume a lot of people are using the cheaper one.
Can this be the reason? Does it mean the 440 is more robust, or the 361 more prone to the high Q stuff??

Any comments??

Thanks again for your continueing input! much appreciated!

latest update:

i gave my Belgian dealer a call. We (the complete family) bought and buy all our equipment from him so i know his advise is mostly spot on.

again opposite information.

For him there are 3 saws which can be blindly trusted and with which he has no troubles at all:

024/240
036/361
044/440

BUT he warned for chinese production units which are sold here in europe. He was not aware that the 361 was one of the models but the farmer and wood bosses etc are. (just to get you all going now)

FYI he reports customers changing in their 441's for older 440 or 460 models. ' it is not the same Stihl anymore' as general comment.

He knows my cutting needs and behaviour and was asking me if i wanted the offered 440 to take a walk with me in the forest or if i intended to choose the tree to cut myself.... :)

Go 361 was his advise and if not sure take the 260, but it is another league although a very good saw.

so, ... now what

Anybody knows about chinese engines? i read in a topic something about german engines being better and delivered also only in certain regions.

How to check this upfront? If stihl is having 2 series with same type number for different countries, how can we as a customer check this and be sure we buy the high Q stuff????? IF i said

Also as info price of 361 in Slovakia is about 300$ cheaper as in belgium. Different engine?????

makes me think...

Back