Newest addition 241c-m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The higher compression shouldnt make the mtronics compensate to the point of detonation? Ive heard of people running 441c at 220psi. How about retarding that timing back to where it was and trying it?

I had heard that it was not a good idea to adjust the timing on a M-Tronic saw, since the adjust on their own.

Maybe with UR adjustment, the M-Tronic is messed up and does not know where it is, and is causing the problem.

I would return the M-Tronic timing back to the factory setting first and see what happens.

Oh, she was messed up a bit to start. She sorted herself eventually. But after a few long cuts, she is not happy.

She has the classic signs of detonation. She starts fine. Runs eager, then leans out a touch before she starts to buck/stutter. And when she stops you get that whiff out of the exhaust that smells of detonation, and the cylinder is hot as fk.When she starts to detonate, the MTronic goes a bit bonkers, too. It starts to studder badly.

I'm not gonna fight it. Why bother. Gonna put the gasket back in. This is a work saw, so no need to make her nervous or require more octane. The minimum here is 95 anyways. If she won't run on that, then she's not gonna be happy on much else. 98 and 100 are only available in select places in Dublin and the UK.

I never modified the timing at all. It is factory. I never mod the timing on MTronic saws.

The higher compression shouldnt make the mtronics compensate to the point of detonation? Ive heard of people running 441c at 220psi. How about retarding that timing back to where it was and trying it?

It may have as much to do with the missing fins as the compression. Timing was never changed. When I mentioned timing - I meant port timing.

Reindeer I looked at Brads photos of his first 241 and his squish was .024. His compression was only like 155 though. Mine is making a good bit more compression in stock form

Bear in mind, it takes a lot of long cuts before she starts acting up and over heating. I think people have also forgotten I am missing the first 3 cooling fins at the top of my cylinder(the part that does the most work cooling the saw). This may be the main culprit. Also bear in mind that this saw was made long before they were available in the states(2012). It can be a bit different than the newest versions.

158539728.HMINdfql.14ad4e394e_ef74b9.jpg

I'm not. ;) I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see how she does. If she works, I am just gonna run with it. I already have a temperamental 044. I don't need another one. In fact, I may do the beer can thing for my 044. I'll try and find a big chunk of chestnut so we can sort of compare it to my 261 vid I did in chestnut. I got work to do here on the estate. We've 2 huge beech's, a large oak, and several other trees down. I dunno if I can even make a vid tomorrow. I am only awake because I was thirsty. I had the fire roasting.

OK, the vid is up. She runs well. That bar is very worn, tho. I was hoping my new bar would arrive before this vid, but it will just have to wait. So sometimes that thing binds a bit. I think I found my problem, though. She was having difficulty idling for any real length of time today off of 'start'. I think maybe sumfin's obstructing the impulse lines or carb. I'll pull her apart again soon here. It might explain the bog, which she still has to some degree.

Crank it up(this Ash is quite hard, th0):

Gonna play with the metering arm and maybe the set screw for the butterflies tomorrow and see if she improves off idle. She is still having idle issues. I found a few old posts were 441's were having the same issues. SOme of them would also die at idle, too. Mine is having the same issues.

My 441 never didnt idle, mine woulnt like to start after it had gotten up to operating temperature and used for awhile.

Latest posts

Back