Newest addition 241c-m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest difference you can make with an exhaust mod on a 261, 241, and a 362 is removing the baffle. The largest gain I have ever seen from a muffler mod was from removing the baffle on a 261c. It went from cuts in the 26 second range to 16 seconds in the same wood. No other mods. If I got a 261c, I wouldn't bother porting it if it came alive like that.

Reindeer ... Thanks for the info, but I have a few questions/comments:

1) A 362 C does not have a baffle.

2) Was the saw brand new when U first tested it, or was it already broken in?

Thanks.

I doubt they've removed the baffle. In fact, some people miss the fact the 261 and the 241 have baffles. All you have to do is look at the exhaust outlet - if you can not see the inlet from the outlet, there is a baffle. The 362 becomes much louder when the baffle is removed, so I doubt they've removed it on recent versions. In fact, the 261 becomes so loud it caused distortion in one of my videos.

The 261c was well broken in over a couple of years.

158364757.gbjFojnk.jpg

Another very hard piece of ash ^

Reindeer,

OK, I though you were talking about a baffle like the 046/460 and 066/660s have.

I just consider that enlarging the outlet hole. On the 046, I enlarged the outlet hole, removed the baffle, and added the dp cover.

Reindeer,

OK, I though you were talking about a baffle like the 046/460 and 066/660s have.

I just consider that enlarging the outlet hole. On the 046, I enlarged the outlet hole, removed the baffle, and added the dp cover.

Nope, there is a baffle inside the muffler not much different from that of the 066/044. It causes the exhaust to go all the way to the front of the muffler, bounce back and up into the corner where the exhaust outlet is. When you remove this baffle, the exhaust then has a straight shot from the cylinder port to the muffler exit port. But the increase in dB is quite a lot as you now have a direct line from the exhaust to the outside world of less than 2". Just because it isn't directly in front of the cylinder exhaust doesn't mean it doesn't have the same effect of choking the saw. It's just as restrictive, only it is right before the muffler exit port.

Next time I take one apart, I will give it a closer look, but the 046 has (make that had) a baffle that the 044 does not have.

I meant to say 046. Sorry.

The thing is, to some, it doesn't look like a baffle. But, to make it all very clear, ANY thing inside of a muffler that is not the muffler housing, is basically installed as a baffle. Removing these things, more often than not, means better flow out the muffler. On the newer MTronic saws, you can easily dismiss it since adding another outlet by passes it some. But when you remove that baffle instead of simply adding another port, you get HUGE gains.

Here we go. Check this post out:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms-362-muffler-mod.198334/page-2#post-3602256

His quote : "No baffle"

But there is obviously a baffle right in front of your face there. See it on the image on the right?

100_1180.jpg

Now why does it make such a difference when you remove this baffle VS simply adding another port out the front or side? It's because on the 241-362 models, the stock muffler port can be made huge enough, and then the distance between the cyl outlet and the muffler outlet is as short as I have ever seen on about any saw ever. It's like 1.8". That allows a huge amount of pressure to escape the moment the piston drops below the exhaust port. I also think the design of the muffler overall helps to make a bigger difference.

Check this vid out again - that is NOT poplar or pine like you see in other vids. It's hard unseasoned ash. When I am cutting at the sheds in my vids, it's for firewood. That means it's hardwoods. That saw has only had a muffler mod and small timing advance. No porting at all:

Is it totally open? I see a baffle in the upper left. How open is it up there?

As I stated previously, you can add a port to the muffler, but the flow still builds pressure before it leaves the front part of the muffler. If you remove the baffle in the upper left of that muffler, I bet the gains are far better, as the exhaust doesn't have a chance to build pressure. It bleeds off the moment it hits the muffler.

If I recall earlier, you had added a port to a 261 and saw no effect on performance.You had to go further.

When you remove the baffle and open the exterior muffler port, you get astounding results. Unfortunately, you also get astounding dBs.

That's a different muffler design Wes. The 362C has a totally open muffler...

Just for reference, here's both a stock and ported 241. There is no break in time on this saw.

Stihl MS241C Stock:

Stihl MS241C Ported:

I notice my 241 revs higher and higher the more I use it. It revs a good bit more than yours does in the vid. I wonder how yer saw is doing now after some break in.

Latest posts

Back