Newest addition 241c-m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested in the picco 18" semi chisel set up. I have a 339xp that I use for a brush and limber for the farm but after using a 562(with an EL46 carb), I'm sold on the electronic carbs. The only thing that worries me, it that we used to have a MS250 with a picco setup and it seemed like I was always sharpening the chain.

Well, speak of the devil. The farmer arrived the other day with a loop of picco semi chisel. Only problem is it has 63 or 64 links. Dunno what he could have been using it on. And since it seems to have never been used, I can only assume it was the wrong size to start with. I'll try and have her shortened soon and try it out. I also noticed the bar oil was going down much slower than usual. My NK shares the same .050 channel, so I went and checked out the oil passages. The hole in the picco bar is nearly half the size as is my NK bar. So I opened it up a bit just to make sure there wouldn't be any problems here since the 241 is ported.

OK, ran the semi and the full chisel picco. I think I got a pic of the ash I had to process today on another Estate friendly to ours across the River Suir in Tipperary... That is Slievenamon in the background. The mountain my Estate is at the base of is the Comeraghs.

161436140.oe9ld3T2.jpg

161436141.ZaWaPxck.jpg

You can just about see the saw in the second pic. The limb was starting to pull from from the trunk, so I set her free earlier today. It measured about 18" or so in width where I made the felling cut. A lot ff wood to process with a lil 241. Good thing it's ported.

The semi chisel lasts MUCH longer than the full picco, and it also is much more forgiving if a tooth is damaged. But I think we all knew that. The benefits were reach more than speed. Since I have a 6 pin rim, I can't really compare it to my 7 pin 325 set up(especially since it is faster on a 325 set up). What I can say is, 325 lasts much longer. Far longer. In fact, 325 cuts more, faster, longer in full chisel than semi chisel picco does on this set up. Now, bear in mind I am also taking advantage of the 6 pin picco rim by putting the rakers down to .030.

Another disappointing thing about picco is once the tooth is about half gone, the cutting doesn't improve. And if the tooth loses much more than that, the cutting degrades, even with low rakers. Whereas with 325, it is at it's best the less cutter there is until you are very low. So, I feel unless you simply do not have the torque to pull it, that 325 wins all over the place.

Back