Newest Toy... The 084!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty540

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Randomly was browsing CL and came across this monster. Needless to say I have caught the milling bug and view all trees as potential slabs now. Looking forward to testing out this 122cc monster on the mill!

Any suggestions for mods or areas to keep an eye on for maintenance?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
I may have just gotten a saw that was too far gone to salvage so take my experience with a grain of salt..

I spent about 3 months constantly repairing a stihl 056. I'll save the whole story and sum it up into 2 major groups. One area that kept coming up was plastic/rubber failure. Wire insulation, impulse lines, rubber vibration dampers, gaskets, they were all bad on my saw. I discovered each problem one by one, when really I should have just gone over the whole saw in the beginning. The second is cheap replacement parts. What killed my saw was the retaining clip that holds the piston on the wrist pin. It popped off at high RPM and bounced around in the chamber. Destroyed everything beyond repair. My just reward for buying cheap parts off ebay.

Just like with a car really. If you want it to run like it's new, it needs all new parts. Quality parts that can handle the heat, vibration and rpms of a big bad ass saw. Hopen it works out for you buddy:) I loved my 056 and miss that grumble and torque. If it doesn't pan out I know where you can get a 90cc dolmar for cheap!

Cheers

I love my 084, although I rarely use it. I bought it for quartering large logs to fit on my band saw mill. I fired it up over the weekend for the first time in a couple years, and it started in just a couple pulls. I split a 20" south TX mesquite in a few seconds, like it was butter. The log was just under 4' long so it wouldn't quite fit on the mill bunks. Splitting it allowed me to screw a board to the flat and make it fit the mill. Until then, the last time I used it was quartering a nearly 3' diameter white oak log. Took just a few minutes to split the giant into 4 pie shaped logs. I can't speak to maintenance or issues, as I have never had to do anything but sharpoen the chain & keep the saw topped with oil & fuel. It's a dependable workhorse for me.

My 084, same here only comes out to play on the really big stuff, not had any issues so far. Pounding the x out of it on a mill, that,s a whole nuther can of beans. I have 42" 404 blade on mine so it is a unit that commands some serious respect ( well they all do , but this is just a bit intimidating).

I love my 084. Its the saw I use for milling the most. It pulls through anything with power to spare. I recommend using square filed full chisel chain for some amazing cuts. As for maintenance, they are pretty solid keep them topped off and full of gas. I run 40:1 mix non ethanol.
Good luck!!!!!

I've got two. Blew one up on that log I am laying on over there <--- and am sending it in to get a re-build. PM me if you want info on that - it seems like a great deal. I love both of 'em.

Getting parts is a PITA, though. Also it's a heavy SOB.

Latest posts

Back