Nice Port Orford Cedar Log at Beach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thursday was the only day this week that I could get away and do some milling at the city-run log dump at the beach. However, rain was called for on both Wednesday and on Thursday, and I am getting a bit soft I suppose, so I was prepared to call it off if there was more than just a drizzle happening this morning. Despite it raining pretty hard last evening around dinner, today was another near-gorgeous day. Was milling in just a tee shirt, not even needing my jacket to keep warm.

I was in a bit of a rush today though as I did have to be downtown for a lunch at 12:30, which meant I had to be pulling out of the log dump by about 11:30. So I was not a diligent as I usually am with the pictures. I did manage to capture the sun on the light clouds over downtown as I arrived.
IMG_4846small.jpg

The plan today was a Port Orford log which had showed up late last week. The city guys had kindly identified it as Port Orford and set it aside for me. These guys are unbelievably great, I can't enough about how good they are to me and the woodcutters at the dump.
IMG_4844small.jpg

In general the woodpile has been shrinking as of late. The city has been getting dumpsters brought down at a somewhat expedited rate lately in anticipation of cleaning the area up by the end of May when summer more or less starts, and they also have a deal with a beachcomber who booms the pulp logs and hauls them away. The pile is probably well under 25% of what it was earlier this winter, and what is left is total crap.
IMG_4847.JPG

The log we were interested in was about 15' long, which is too big for us. So, the city guys cut it into two for us, then used the loader to dip the pieces in the water to get rid of most of the sand that had accumulated on the bark, then set them up at an angle on some logs so we could use gravity to help us mill. More great service!

We peeled 5 2.5" thick slabs off each of the two pieces. My original intent was to mill one in half down the pith, then flip each piece 90 degrees and mill again. Then we could get all qs pieces from those four quarters. But due to the fact I had never done that before and was tight on time in the end we just milled the log through and through as usual.
IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

Due to the knots and some rot we found we left a bit more scrap than we normally do. But once again someone was scrounging in our scrap pile before we were even gone!

One of the logs was also kind of buggy, not pinhole bugs like the birch I picked up last week, but larger caterpillar sized pale bugs in the cambium and some into the sapwood as well. Some of them I cut out before loading the wood up, but I will need to go back over what I brought home and cut the edges off most of the pieces I think in order to get rid of the bugs.
DSC01158.JPG

Do firewood cutters not show up in droves out there? Nice that the workers set stuff aside for you.

Have you thought about adding a vertical mini-mill to your tool kit?
I've been slabbing about 1/3 of the way down lately, then using the vertical mill to split the remaining 2/3 in half.

Gives you two chunks with 90° sides to q-saw from. Of course I take those and load those onto the bandmill now, but you get the idea... :)

There are often firewood cutters there. Not sure I would describe their numbers as 'droves', but they come by more often than not when we are out.

Good idea on using the vertical mill. Obviously way more accurate than doing it by hand which is what I was thinking!

Here are a few more pictures my friend who was there sent along after I posted yesterday. Him and I split the slabs.

This is one of the pieces as we were stripping the bark off. We had to shorten it as it was too long for us to carry in our vehicles, so we decided to cut off the last couple of feet on the left end of this picture as it had more knots in it.

IMG_0750.JPG

When we cut it, it actually changed the balance on the log it was resting on and it teeter-tottered over to the other side! Luckily no harm done other than the dust was blowing back into our faces as we milled. Just goes to show even if you are careful . . .
IMG_0754.JPG

This was the better of the two pieces, and we got some nice slabs from it.
IMG_0755.JPG

Here I am milling the other piece, somewhat Darth Vader-like. The cedar dust bothers me more than hardwood dusts seem to. It's almost like the cedar dust is finer, and it gets more dried out by the heat of the bar, so it is more prone to cause irritation.
IMG_0751.JPG

That's all until next week.

Latest posts

Back