Nicks boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things of note;

Its a bloody long process, December I sent off for the sizing kit, got it in January, sent the test pair in march, they recieved Mar 23. Got the boots today. Though from the sounds of it, its party do to them expanding and moving locations in the middle somewhere.

The left currently doesn't have a sock on, cause its that tight to get my foot in (which is partly do to my smooshed and less then mobile foot) but gods damn do they fit good, not sure I've ever had boots fit like this out of the box...

Only complaints are the wait... 6 months all told, and they came with phillips nails... which through rigorous testing we all know kinda suck...

Anyhow I'll keep ya all posted as to how they do in the woods, be a few weeks, I'm currently beating my head against a bad clutch on the missus so no cutting timber until she's ready to work.

the best boots i ever owned were the Haix on hoffmans site. the bad? f'n expensive after caulking and shipping! running some meindls now but not a genuine logger boot. bought a pair of meindls hiking boots and had them caulked. light and comfy like the Haix but not quite the Haix. the Haix are nearly $800 for us canuckistanians from hoffmans. i swear a good boot means more to me then any other of my gear.

I think you are going to be disappointed I don't think the boots were the problem. Your toes point to your left flank on the one foot. Your body must have to turn 45° to go straight?
Big heel for a caulk sole eh!
I hope they are going to be awesome for you. Right on

I think you are going to be disappointed I don't think the boots were the problem. Your toes point to your left flank on the one foot. Your body must have to turn 45° to go straight?
Big heel for a caulk sole eh!
I hope they are going to be awesome for you. Right on

i don't like the heel myself but i'd caulk a running shoe if i could lol i like more ankle flexability. alot of guys suggest boots with more ankle support to avoid sprains but heck they must have a limp ankle. i hate being all stick legged. the minimum 6" requirement is what i like. the odd guys out there run 12's. like WTF! pretty well at yer knee cap. everybody's different though.

i don't like the heel myself but i'd caulk a running shoe if i could lol i like more ankle flexability. alot of guys suggest boots with more ankle support to avoid sprains but heck they must have a limp ankle. i hate being all stick legged. the minimum 6" requirement is what i like. the odd guys out there run 12's. like WTF! pretty well at yer knee cap. everybody's different though.
As though you were some kind of expert! Lol

As though you were some kind of expert! Lol

i'll be the first one to say i'm a POS trainee lol i know what i like though. i didn't just start falling when i did my course though. did the right of way of a few sub devisions in the area and cleared a few lots. you have nothing but east coast and yukon experience John. yer pretty well qualified to cut firewood lol

12" are generally the lineman boot (climbing boot)minus the caulk sole. I can't do the heel personality. Same with cowboy boots. I owned one pair in my life in the mid 90' and they had the low heel. They are hard to find Like that it seems so I never got another pair. Don't need angle support in good runner like my Keens for hiking but if you add some weight and a heel then that's a different story. I'm all about the support in the boots. No slop. I may buy the Viber 45 chockerman boot. I'm sick of wearing ski's. Need to curve with the curves.

or Viber woodsman half 'N' half?

12" are generally the lineman boot (climbing boot)minus the caulk sole. I can't do the heel personality. Same with cowboy boots. I owned one pair in my life in the mid 90' and they had the low heel. They are hard to find Like that it seems so I never got another pair. Don't need angle support in good runner like my Keens for hiking but if you add some weight and a heel then that's a different story. I'm all about the support in the boots. No slop. I may buy the Viber 45 chockerman boot. I'm sick of wearing ski's. Need to curve with the curves.

or Viber woodsman half 'N' half?

my buddy Pat just switched to the half'nhalf. he says he can run in them. he did switch from the 12" viking gummers though. ya know, the ones all the tree planters wear lol

Got the block heel cause I tend to do some climbing as well, and the spring heel just sucks at holding the spurs on.

The left foot turns outboard more then it should anyway, its not so good at turning inboard, mostly straight is about as good as it gets, and that is a little painful. Hence the main reason for the tall ass boots, protect the shin a bit its kinda knobby in all the wrong places... thought about getting 14" tall, but it got painfully expensive quick.

Last I knew Hoffman out of Idaho would put a caulked sole on anything that could be resoled... sent my vibergs there several years ago, the sole is in great shape the rest of the boots are falling apart now (they originally had drive in spikes, so like 30+years old?) and they never fit right anyway.

Last I knew Hoffman out of Idaho would put a caulked sole on anything that could be resoled... sent my vibergs there several years ago, the sole is in great shape the rest of the boots are falling apart now (they originally had drive in spikes, so like 30+years old?) and they never fit right anyway.

i haven't really found a viberg fit me right either which is why i went with the meindls. heck, couldn't find a logging meindl that really fit me right either which is why i had a hiking meindl caulked. never really owned a set that i broke in though. really just judging them on new fit feel. the ones i have now fit like a glove when new and have only gotten comfier. i went to the viberg store front and had them measure my feet even. tried a few boots they had made up but to get some custom made would have cost my left nut. pretty happy with my meindls but thinking of the next set already. tempted on another pair of Haix if i got the money handy.

my buddy Pat just switched to the half'nhalf. he says he can run in them. he did switch from the 12" viking gummers though lol
haha..funny. stands to reason. No seriously though..they are popular for sure. I know guys have been wearing them for 20yrs. They are only $340.00 plus it's only $160.00 to get them resoled if the walk on a lot of blast rock like conventional Falling. BTW I'm hitting the island again tomorrow for a Thursday flight again. Back the Ocean falls for two days then I'm flying to start a new one. Conventional too. That's nice, easier on my brain with weights. Heli is a lot of work for nothing sometimes.
Especially right now with the red cedar target. The Spruce Hemlock, Balsam and Cyprus has to be perfect or I knock it down and walk. It's tricky not to burry your logs. Lots of work courtesy bucking as its going to be grappled from 200ft above.

haha..funny. stands to reason. No seriously though..they are popular for sure. I know guys have been wearing them for 20yrs. They are only $340.00 plus it's only $160.00 to get them resoled if the walk on a lot of blast rock like conventional Falling. BTW I'm hitting the island again tomorrow for a Thursday flight again. Back the Ocean falls for two days then I'm flying to start a new one. Conventional too. That's nice, easier on my brain with weights. Heli is a lot of work for nothing sometimes.
Especially right now with the red cedar target. The Spruce Hemlock, Balsam and Cyprus has to be perfect or I knock it down and walk. It's tricky not to burry your logs. Lots of work courtesy bucking as its going to be grappled from 200ft above.

i hoping to get on some conventional as well. some second growth in a timber west TFL up cowichan lake area. really pushing for island pacific closer to home but the bull bucker says he only hires guys with minimum 5 years. kinda hoping he looks the other way to that rule. find out in a couple days. visiting one of the womans relatives on thursday to see how he's doing. he got smashed with a 100' balsam last year.

i'll be the first one to say i'm a POS trainee lol i know what i like though. i didn't just start falling when i did my course though. did the right of way of a few sub devisions in the area and cleared a few lots. you have nothing but east coast and yukon experience John. yer pretty well qualified to cut firewood lol

Hilarious vidio!
That not a Humboldt, that's an Interior Swansan and some.

i hoping to get on some conventional as well. some second growth in a timber west TFL up cowichan lake area. really pushing for island pacific closer to home but the bull bucker says he only hires guys with minimum 5 years. kinda hoping he looks the other way to that rule. find out in a couple days. visiting one of the womans relatives on thursday to see how he's doing. he got smashed with a 100' balsam last year.
That's because five years is the number. If you have four years true West coast production Falling in Cedar they won't consider you a Faller or a peer. If you are still alive after 5 years then you are a Faller. The barge I just came off of there is a pile of guys with 40+ years in. Most of us are still learning and will always be. One guy have spent five years worth on that barge alone. There are the exceptions though. It just really depends where you break in. Bubby was telling me about this one falling quarter. The guys with 10 yrs experience didn't have enough experience and guys with 15 yrs had enough experience to know not to touch it. They were thinking the engineer must had been on glue for laying it out. Then this kid that hadn't long broken in just layed it out & made it look easy. Buddy watched him and said "where in the hell did you break in"?
"Nootka Island" he answered.
His response was... "Well no f...en' wonder.

*I had to do the whole BC fallers 23 page evaluation before I could continue. Would like to find out my score. I know I answered everything right.

i am a firm believer it's what your interests are to begin with too but many other things of course. their are guys out their with 4 years that still look like little girls handling a saw lol i should call Lunn or Jason back tomorrow. They got an operation on nootka right now. apparently Fedje's trying to lay a claim though. you ever worked Mahatta river area Jamie?

i just finished my own cash Job on indian island. wish i had a partner though. was anything but professional lol no emergency response procedures at all. guy made it sound like it was right at shore with a dock and all. like he had a speed boat. turned out he had a 16' skiff with a 20hp honda. took 45 minutes to get to the job and then he just dropped me off on a beach and said he'd pick me up at high tide lol. i was hungry though so did it anyways. was only 2 6' cedars and 1 12'er. to 12 was just a shell but the 2 6's were solid. 12 was the easiest to fall lol. one of those Jobs where you appreciate the big companies with all that **** in place.

Back