Nicks boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fedje seems to have work out there quite a bit but these contractors that were big are nothing right now. Thing is out there you are best to stay with a Faller. You don't want to be on your own because they would just put you in the cream Falling white wood. All 40' pipes. Round and straight with not a branch in sight for 130 ft.
Its fun but my grandma can do that. Especially day lighting to the spur Roads. You need to cut up the big ugly cedar snags on the slop and not fall green trees.
It's why they pay you the money.

i just finished my own cash Job on indian island. wish i had a partner though. was anything but professional lol no emergency response procedures at all. guy made it sound like it was right at shore with a dock and all. like he had a speed boat. turned out he had a 16' skiff with a 20hp honda. took 45 minutes to get to the job and then he just dropped me off on a beach and said he'd pick me up at high tide lol. i was hungry though so did it anyways. was only 2 6' cedars and 1 12'er. to 12 was just a shell but the 2 6's were solid. 12 was the easiest to fall lol. one of those Jobs where you appreciate the big companies with all that **** in place.
That's some big wood, Big stuff out your west side.

i like the round and straight boomers lol makes for some easy cut'n. Lunn told me he's in the nasty gritty right now though. some haywire north facing blocks with windfall all over the place. he told me he's dealing with jackpots everyday.

That's some big wood, Big stuff out your west side.

took me 15 min to get the 12 on the ground. i was stoked it was hollow lol. window's in the backcut aren't the end of the world but pretty sweet when just a quick scribe on the back cuts her up enough. the 12 i left but the 2 6's i bucked into 24" shake blocks. took 7 hours and i bid $660 so i got my day rate. the other guy throwing in an estimate bid $900. i was pissed i didn't bid 8 lol. i looked at it and figured it was a days work so just bid around day rate. should have bid a little more. owell, was a good learning experience. i got more work there too but i won't go back without putting some emergency response stuff in place and make sure i got a partner next time. 12'er's all over the place over there. untouched old growth. the 6'er's were the smallest ones i saw lol

I just put on a set of White's today. Been sitting in the closet since last year. My Danners git wet yesterday and I forgot to put them on the Peet dryer. Slide them on this morning and ploosh, my socks are wet.

I hate breaking in boots. Seems like it take a good month or two till they are comfy.

I just put on a set of White's today. Been sitting in the closet since last year. My Danners git wet yesterday and I forgot to put them on the Peet dryer. Slide them on this morning and ploosh, my socks are wet.

I hate breaking in boots. Seems like it take a good month or two till they are comfy.
You must have a hole in them ? I can stand in a creek bed up to my ankles with danner super rain forest and my feet stay dry .

just plain leather, I don't do well with lined or "waterproof" boots, they get hot and very uncomfortable.

oil a pair of good leather boots up and they will be mostly water resistant, not so much for full immersion, but puddles and rain you'll be alright.

Also lined/waterproof boots seem to keep the moisture in as well as they keep it out, 7 hours of dragging 300# brush ape with 50# of brush ape gear, and its a little like stepping in warm mudd.

You must have a hole in them ? I can stand in a creek bed up to my ankles with danner super rain forest and my feet stay dry .

Washed the house and I guess the hose was leaking down my pant legs right into my boots. Didn't realize my feet were wet till I pulled my boots off several hours later.

Made it a few hours in the White's and came home to grab my Danners. They were pretty much dry. Like wearing fluffy house slippers compared to the Whites!

The Nick's tour on pg 1 of this thread is way cool. I had wondered forever about how a boot is constructed.

Bought a pair of White's smoke jumpers last year to replace worn out Redwings. My second pair of White's--they cost $59.75 in 1972.

Yes, they take a while to break in. I tried the walk-in-the-creek-then-wear-them-till-dry method, but with the oil in the leather I couldn't get them wet without standing there half an hour, and who's got time for that? I kept alternating with my old boots, which felt like slippers in comparison. Until I slipped on a hillside one day and realized those old ones had no support left in the ankle.

Yeah I have about 3 months on the Dannars but they weren't quite so bad to break in. I was really surprised on the Whites because I actually got fitted for them so I expected them to fit perfectly right out the box.

I am finding I like better a 6" boot vs the 8" I got in the White's. The 6" is still tall enough for me and I can wear regular socks vs boot socks.

Reminds me of the old dark blue jeans. Out of the store they were so stiff you could about put them up on sawhorses and setup the supper table. I made the mistake of washing 2 or 3 pairs along with other clothes, turned everything blue :nofunny:

Some Canadians make me shake my head sometimes .

While these aren't Nicks .

8614_1-600x600.jpg

http://royer.com/en/product/8614/

They are a chainsaw boot that will last .

I have a pair of Nicks Hot Shots I bought in 1996. I wore them for a season on the FS. put them away for a while. Have worn them the last 2 seasons. One of the best built boots I have put on my feet. I had to move the stick guard in the laces up one hole cause I was always getting blisters on the top of my ankle (thats why they were in hiding). Now they are perfect.

As I'm sure some of you guys know, White's Boots is owned by the same Japanese company that owns Danner. Just like other foreign owned businesses, like Trader Joes, they have a good product but it is not buying American.

Regarding break in, if you haven't owned heavy leather boots like Nick's, please Google "White's Bite" to learn how to lace these boots so you don't get a sore spot on top of your foot.

Regarding break in, if you haven't owned heavy leather boots like Nick's, please Google "White's Bite" to learn how to lace these boots so you don't get a sore spot on top of your foot.

Didn't know that, good to know now.
BTW its funny, if you just search for White's Bite, you get lots of stuff on Snow White and Great White sharks. So throw the word "Boots" in there.

I ordered a pair of the Carolina USA made narrow boots in March. They are now on their third backorder. Having narrow feet isn't too much fun. The only alternative to the Carolinas is custom. Sorry, but I refuse to pay $600-800 for a pair of boots.

I ordered a pair of the Carolina USA made narrow boots in March. They are now on their third backorder. Having narrow feet isn't too much fun. The only alternative to the Carolinas is custom. Sorry, but I refuse to pay $600-800 for a pair of boots.

Hoffman's, come in D and E width, Ordered mine last thurs, they arrived on tues. The E's I ordered where fairly narrow, still got a good 1 to 1.5 inches of lace gap to go. Wore em most of the week, and they still arn't broke in yes, but a lot more better on my feet then the poor ole carolina's I had on, which nothing bad about carolina, just no one carries domestic carolinas here local... so its a special order item, and we're talking an hour trip each way to get em, so I ordered the Hoffmans from home...

And to reitterate, had Hoffmans resole my ole viberg caulks 5 years ago, the soles are still holding up very well... the rest of the boots are showing thier age.

Made in Idaho, check out thier website hoffmanboots.com 10" smokechaser or whatever they call where like 235. or so plus shipping,

And before folks freak out these are intended for shop/climbing boots, the caulks are still Nick's and with luck I can give em a go Friday, got the missus mostly buttoned up today...

Back