Nicks boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are the taller heel boots like Nicks firefighter style for hiking? I would like to get a pair of non goretex boots and Nicks is local, but I am not sure about walking long distances in a boot with such a built up heel.

I'm talking about 5-10 miles a day hiking. I'm not a firefighter, I just want good boots.

Nick's has multiple heel options, as well as sole.

But the block heels are fine and dandy in most any terrain, you'll do some clomping at first and make a bunch of noise on a hardwood floor, but you'll get over it.

Haven't worn anything but block heels in nearly 20 years, except some slip on shoes, and Chuck's back when I was still trying to be a rockstar. I find flat boots to be kinda weird.

Well, got em dirty today.

It's strange not tripping on everything. And walking logs is a whole lot easier, not too sure as to why but it seems like my balance has improved as well, where as before once sticks got down to like 7" or so everything got all wiggly and not fun, now its merely a long ways down and worrisome, not a long ways down and frightening.

The soles on these bastards are something else, gonna take awhile to break them in. But the uppers man... no pinching, no sloppy bits, just a good snug fit all day.

Hoffman's, come in D and E width, Ordered mine last thurs, they arrived on tues. The E's I ordered where fairly narrow, still got a good 1 to 1.5 inches of lace gap to go. Wore em most of the week, and they still arn't broke in yes, but a lot more better on my feet then the poor ole carolina's I had on, which nothing bad about carolina, just no one carries domestic carolinas here local... so its a special order item, and we're talking an hour trip each way to get em, so I ordered the Hoffmans from home...

And to reitterate, had Hoffmans resole my ole viberg caulks 5 years ago, the soles are still holding up very well... the rest of the boots are showing thier age.

Made in Idaho, check out thier website hoffmanboots.com 10" smokechaser or whatever they call where like 235. or so plus shipping,

And before folks freak out these are intended for shop/climbing boots, the caulks are still Nick's and with luck I can give em a go Friday, got the missus mostly buttoned up today...

I wear Hoffman smokechasers as well. Been a very good boot. As you said, maybe run a touch narrow, but my right foot is wider than the left :baaa:

I know this has been asked many times, but my Whites wildland boots I've had for going on 8 years now are about at the end of their useful service life... Are the Nicks boots really better than White's? Being east of the mississippi most of the time it's hard to tell.

I am, admittedly hard on boots. I've heard the Nicks are a heavier and more solidly constructed boots.

And please note that these will be a 10" wildland boot and they'll also see some use when the terrain gets really steep. Otherwise I'm probably the biggest fan of Danner's (yeah, go on, bash them, I don't care, they work really well for me) USA Quarry 8" with the safety toe possible.

Here is my opinion. Any custom boot is almost always going to be better than any off-the-shelf boot. Whites and Nicks off-the-shelf boots are about equivalent, but Nicks cost less. By this logic, Nicks are the better value. Hoffmans are also a good value.

I bought a pair of Hoffman's corks this spring and I really like em. They were $350 bucks. I had them rush the order for another 25. They built them on the Monday I called and had em shipped out Tuesday. I had em by Thursday ( I probably paid for extra shipping.). It took a while to break those bastards in but I can tell they are on another level compared to the red dawgs I was buying. I ran Hoffman pac corks the last five winters and they did really well too.

Thanks to 2dawgs for posting about the whites bite! I thought it would just turn to calous eventually. Nope. I took out the brush guard because i thought that was the problem. Nope. I also ran band aids where the blisters were but I thought theres gotta be a better way. Tying them up different was the ticket!

Thanks to 2dawgs for posting about the whites bite! I thought it would just turn to calous eventually. Nope. I took out the brush guard because i thought that was the problem. Nope. I also ran band aids where the blisters were but I thought theres gotta be a better way. Tying them up different was the ticket!

I got my first pair of Hoffman lineman ( i spend half of my time in spurs doing residential removals, the other half in the woods cutting or operating) almost 2 months ago...finally able to wear them 12 hrs. I thought the "bite" would calous too, same thing band aids ect... cant wait to try the 2-1-3 on monday

I know this has been asked many times, but my Whites wildland boots I've had for going on 8 years now are about at the end of their useful service life... Are the Nicks boots really better than White's? Being east of the mississippi most of the time it's hard to tell.

I am, admittedly hard on boots. I've heard the Nicks are a heavier and more solidly constructed boots.

And please note that these will be a 10" wildland boot and they'll also see some use when the terrain gets really steep. Otherwise I'm probably the biggest fan of Danner's (yeah, go on, bash them, I don't care, they work really well for me) USA Quarry 8" with the safety toe possible.

I'm with madhatte on the quality, about the same from whites to Nick's, though nicks have a tighter fit, the whites have a lot more tongue room so yer foot slips in easy, the Nicks take a little work.

Also the sole on the Nicks is much much thicker.

The deciding factor for me is that White's is china owned now, Nicks is still family owned and operated. Same deal with Hoffman, just they don't offer custom boots.

2-1-3 really helps. Had a pair of red dawgs I had to cut the false tongue shorter anyways cause it just sat wrong

Anyone had experience with JK Boots? Just found them online and was considering having my hoffmans rebuilt and re-sized by them

I'm with madhatte on the quality, about the same from whites to Nick's, though nicks have a tighter fit, the whites have a lot more tongue room so yer foot slips in easy, the Nicks take a little work.

Also the sole on the Nicks is much much thicker.

The deciding factor for me is that White's is china owned now, Nicks is still family owned and operated. Same deal with Hoffman, just they don't offer custom boots.

Actually Whites Boots is owned by a Japanese corporation, not Chinese. That corporation also owns Lacrosse and Danner. Maybe more.

In White's defense, at least the Japanese care about quality and they haven't offshored White's production ... and likely won't. Japanese companies typically sell into the US market by manufacturing goods in American factories with American workers. The workers might have to do calisthenics before they start work and learn terms like "hoshin" and "kanban," but they *will* have jobs.

The worst thing I could accuse Japanese owners of American businesses is forcing their workers to sing karaoke.

Latest posts

Back