Nielsen sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,I bought a NIELSEN chain grinder at a farm auction,anybody know anything about them?Looks to be an older unit.Seems to sharpen pretty good but I don't know how to set drag height with it yet,any expierenced users?Will try to post a picture.

russ61, This looks like a 100B grinder. My dad loves these as it's all he's ever used. I remember this grinder growing up as we had two of them and they do a great job. These were before the direct drive motors and they had a belt from the motor to the grinding wheel. They required more service as belts wore and pulleys wore and needed replacing but over all the only grinder my dad would use. When I started using the efco grinders he would not as he liked these so much more. If you ever want to shed of it, let me know. Tony

Parts for Nielson 100-B

Russ61

I got the same machine today. It needs some cleanup, a new belt, wheel and a diamond for the wheel dresser, if I don't want to hand dress the wheels.

How did you make out using your machine and did you run across a source for parts?

Nielsen

Been doing pretty well with the sharpener.Real simple to use.Havent really needed any parts although I probably should get a set of wheels for different size chains.I looked at one time for wheels ,if I remember right MSC supply had them.
Good luck with yours.

anyone know what to set the wheel angle at?(the one that has small numbers instead of degrees)

setting depth gauge

You can use the depth adjustment to set the drag height to within a mil or two by calibrating the vertical wheel movement versus the rotation of the depth knob. My efco raises/lowers the wheel by 0.005 for each ridge on the depth knob. You can calibrate by attaching a stationary pointer to measure the knob rotation to raise the wheel a known distance (use a block of known thickness under the wheel, rest the stopped wheel on the block,screw the depth adjustment to make contact, remove the block, and count the number of knob ridges required to lower the wheel by this distance. After sharpening the chain, put a tooth under the stopped wheel, lower the wheel onto the tooth, turn the depth knob until it just picks the wheel off the tooth, then dial the desired number of knob ridges under the pointer. Just like dialing in an elevation correction on a riflescope --- in my case, six 'clicks' for a 0.030" setting.

I went and looked at the old grinder my dad has and it looks exactly like that one it says 100-b on it. Anyone know what grinding wheel I need to have it sharpen my Stihl 33RSC chain.

Parts for Nielsen Chainsaw Sharpener B-100

Just a heads up guys. I had to follow up on some leads on the Nielson B-100. I tried Nielson Fastener out of Eugene OR,which led me to Burton Saw,then to a Gentleman John Brooks-Brooks Ent. Cell phone 541-343-0458. He said the part number is K163 V Belt. $8.40 shipping $6.00. Hope that helps out. This machine has been in our family 30 years. First broken belt.
Take care, Wes in TEXAS:greenchainsaw:

I was just given a 100-B and have never used any type of grinder.
Anyone have a manual ? I'm sure I can get the basic idea and angles from my BIL that has an Oregon.
My specific questions are how to use the dresser, how to know if the diamond needs to be replaced, how to hand dress the wheel if the diamonds are no longer available, and what size the drive belt might be so I can look for one locally.

Last edited:
newb

Yes, I am a newb. I saw people talking about that particular sharpener here and figured I would try to sell it here. I'm getting very sick of the mentally deficient types on craigslist, where I did have it listed.

Thanks for the advice. I will relist it properly.

Does anyone know where to get new grinding wheels for nielson sharpeners?

Biggest piece of info you need is the arbor size, either measure the old wheel or the motor arbor if you have no wheel. Overall diameter is important but you can dress a larger stone down to fit the machine. I believe the Nielsen grinders used a smaller wheel so maybe start with a 4" diameter??

Latest posts

Back