No Crane? No problem!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Redneck Loggin' in Shoreline, Wa. 3rd windstorm in less than 3 weeks....

Now maybe if it had been a Ford 4x4, it could have been driven off to the mill with the log...Ya think??

View on YT, HD and full screen

Yawn. That would be me, buzz.... and I've been an arborist for over 40 years. I think I know how to run a saw..... but the video production guy in me said he wanted to see more of my pretty face.

I did edit out the parts where my plunge cuts went all wrong and the saw went over my shoulder, barely missing my helmeted noggin. I let you guess how many times I had to retrieve it from the forested flooor behind me...

Finally, my only job from the latest storm involving trees on house..... Lady quit dragging her feet simce Monday Am, and called this am..I'm headed over shortly to prep it, get cameras ready, then Pat and his crew shows up in about 3 hours. Should be easy, just have to fine tune some details with a method I've never done, which I'll document and post...... I have sold several leaners and a couple partly broken tree jobs.....

IMG_0049e.jpg

My online photo site

Two small hemlock uprooted and fell onto my client's Shoreline home, taking the top half of a stone dead hemlock with them. The driveway was too steep for a crane, and I figured out a method to get them removed with no further damage.

First I set a line at a mere 15-18 feet in the dead hemlock and did a pull test--which revealed my fears that it could be pulled over with a bit of effort, so we weren't able to use it as a means of back supporting each of the fallen trees. I did set a line in a live hemlock, which , was 15 feet off to the side, so not the best angle. I tied it to the smaller of the two live failed trees, and then to the other one, as a means of somewhat balancing the support. The other tree would be cut after the smaller one. We also used some smaller sections from the fallen dead tree as props. Then, we tied the one to be cut on either side of where the cut would be made, which was about eight feet from the roof. We used simple wraps as a means of allowing some movement when the tree was cut. All went well, though I believe we could have done a better job of securing the tree pr ior to the cut which would allow the top to lay down onto the roof. A false crotch and friction device would have been better to limit the movement, but it all went well, not even close to doing any damage when the tops came down totally onto the roof.

The camera is set up on top of a much larger western white pine trunk (see the close up of the roots) which fell onto their chain link fence, and 30 feet further away it was still ~14-16" diameter where it impacted the freeway privacy wall. I don't think the wall is that close to the traffic lanes, but......

I had also been called to look at three trees on a house a mere three doors down. A 100 foot western white pine fell from the yard of the person who called me onto the neighbor's house and carport. It took two smaller hemlock with it. That homeowner had called a different tree service, who got all three trees on the ground, with a crane assist, cleaned up and hauled the wood, all that Monday. I'd told my potential client a mere $800 to do her side... but I did bid $2000 for each party for the two tall white pines that were in each of their yards.

Now maybe if it had been a Ford 4x4, it could have been driven off to the mill with the log...Ya think??
Yes, if you put it in the back of a Chevy:).
Yawn. That would be me, buzz.... and I've been an arborist for over 40 years. I think I know how to run a saw..... but the video production guy in me said he wanted to see more of my pretty face.

I did edit out the parts where my plunge cuts went all wrong and the saw went over my shoulder, barely missing my helmeted noggin. I let you guess how many times I had to retrieve it from the forested flooor behind me...
I was wondering about all the parts edited out, thanks for explaining lol.
I think you need to stick with running the saw and let others vote on the title for the thread.
I say Yoda skidding.

Thanks for sharing always enjoy your teaching/giving us a laugh:cheers:.

I thought ladders where a no-no? I'd also like to know how you don't have to be OSHA compliant? Improper ladder use x3, no tie off on the roof / falls from elevation, etc. I work construction and we get hammered on being compliant. How do you, as a business, get to work outside simple safety guidelines?

Very funny. I've been working with orchard ladders for 45 years, bub. And will continue to do so. A stick saw would have only allowed the cutter to be further away, as a ladder would have still been needed to get horizontal hinge wood

As far as a roof tieoff....on that low pitched roof,why? And, tie to what? The tree? It would have been a nightmare, A, finding a tie off spot, and B, maneuvering around the tree stuff to actually get some work done.....

Logistics of getting a crane in for those easy trees would have been complicated due to the slope, and added $1000 or more to the bill. And taken the challenge out of it.

It's a situation like when my boss was on site. We were set up to pull some 12' drywall in the 3rd story. He pushed the cart up to the drywall and was goig to start pulling it in. I told hm to stop because he didn't have a harness on and could get fined, fired, or both. Then I started pulling it in and he said but you don't have a harness either, I told him I do this all day, just go back to the shop, he laughed and went back to the shop.
When RB started they probably didn't have all the different ratings on ladders or tie offs:popcorn2:.

[QUOTE="Agent Orange,
I'd love to hear you explain your reasoning to an OSHA inspector.[/QUOTE]

Only ever had one stop by once...... 20 years ago.....He was at a large construction site and came over, acting all important and stuff. I was aloft. He asked where my chaps were. I replied that chaps are not required to be worn when cutting aloft. We also had no signage. I apologized, explaining that I had just borrowed a truck as mine had broken down... he said OK and ambled off.

Next time I have one like this, you're welcome to come over and set up a roof tie-in system that won't triple the time required to do the job. Still laughing about the ladder kibbitzing........that just happens to be the way orchard ladders are designed to be used....and, at no time, was there any risk to Patrick, as the trunk sections were tied off belowthe cut, and propped for good measure.

Thanks, Billy. I was there an hour before Patrick arrived. I asked him how he'd do the job before I explained my plan. His way would have been more difficult. Of course, he always defers to my experience and technical expertise.... which is rather voluminous. (Check out some of my other youtube vid's or tree sets at flickr, of you haven't.

Pat got careless with a locust Tuesday. Getting it off the house he did a bit of extra damage plus whacked a fence. But insurance covered the extra as they didn't know about it. He told me he should have called me, to see if I could have brought over the GRCS. I was out bidding, but would have dropped everything and motored right over....

The name is Rich. Treebilly was a name I came up with at a bar. After a long day of tree work I stopped for a couple and some one decided to call me a hill Billy. I called bull ****. I'm not from West Virginia, I'm an Ohio boy and a tree climber, I'm a treebilly. Kinda got stuck with it

Latest posts

Back