No good deed goes unpunished.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I volunteered to cut up two big blowdown pine trees, Ponderosa I think. Looked at them and figured about an hours work (at that time I thought there was only one). Sooo. readied the arsenal, MS441/32" MS361/28", MS310/20", MS210/16", MS192T/16". Didn't figure I would be using the two small ones but took them "IF". Whoever limbed and cut up those trees obviously loved to leave stubs. The 210 paid it way and more shaving logs. First cut with the 310 I heard the scrape, yep, piece of iron rod that I though was another limb stub. 310 back in the truck. 361 was a star cutting up the smaller logs but I should have had a 20" bar in place of the 28".

2 1/2 hours later I was played out, almost all the small stuf on dtree one was blocked, hit dirt with the 361 just before finished so had to 'ride' the saw for the last 5 cuts. 210 dtried to eat another iron bar on its last cut. Quite for the day.

So much for a quick job.

pine2_zpsuzbhewsp.jpg

pine_zps9k3z7bbm.jpg

I hadn't cut a pine since I was in HS. I didnt' remember that it was a rather hard cutting wood and for sure didn't remember how frapping HEAVY the rounds were.

I also made the mistake of telling them I would take my splitter down. She promised a crew. Hope so. Most of the larger rounds from about 16" up will have to be noodled to get them on the beam or I might finally surrender and use the splitter vertically.

Sharp chains tomorrow and weather supposed to be bad so the next session is to be seen.

Harry K

I volunteered to cut up two big blowdown pine trees, Ponderosa I think. Looked at them and figured about an hours work (at that time I thought there was only one). Sooo. readied the arsenal, MS441/32" MS361/28", MS310/20", MS210/16", MS192T/16". Didn't figure I would be using the two small ones but took them "IF". Whoever limbed and cut up those trees obviously loved to leave stubs. The 210 paid it way and more shaving logs. First cut with the 310 I heard the scrape, yep, piece of iron rod that I though was another limb stub. 310 back in the truck. 361 was a star cutting up the smaller logs but I should have had a 20" bar in place of the 28".

2 1/2 hours later I was played out, almost all the small stuf on dtree one was blocked, hit dirt with the 361 just before finished so had to 'ride' the saw for the last 5 cuts. 210 dtried to eat another iron bar on its last cut. Quite for the day.

So much for a quick job.

pine2_zpsuzbhewsp.jpg

pine_zps9k3z7bbm.jpg

I hadn't cut a pine since I was in HS. I didnt' remember that it was a rather hard cutting wood and for sure didn't remember how frapping HEAVY the rounds were.

I also made the mistake of telling them I would take my splitter down. She promised a crew. Hope so. Most of the larger rounds from about 16" up will have to be noodled to get them on the beam or I might finally surrender and use the splitter vertically.

Sharp chains tomorrow and weather supposed to be bad so the next session is to be seen.

Harry K
Looks like a lot of work by yourself. Good thing you didn't have to load it.

That's a fairly big project there. Big enough that you shouldn't have been the only volunteer. But sometimes extra help turns out to be anything but help and you'd wish you were alone anyway.

Those trees were blowdowns from the huge windstorm we had. Professionals fell, cut them into short logs and cleaned up the mess. Society thought they could get $100 for the wood 'as is'. No takers in two weeks (not a surprise!) so I stepped forward.

That original settlers house is amazing, rehabbed to be just like back when it was first built around 1900. Very worth preserving but the society is having problem keeping it up. Donors are dying off and the younger generations don't seem to be interested.

Harry K

Nice score and put a deposit in the old savings account for good deeds. Hope the 310 recovers :)

Spent ther morning working through the 'chains to be filed" stack, The chain on the 310 is now in the trash bin :). It was well worn anyhow, had been shortened once and needed it again. Just got back from a 60 mile round trip to the dealer for 2 new chains, tuneup on the 210 and a new rim sprocket for he 310. Now to see if I can change out that rim sprocket without losing the jesus clip.

Weasther is bad and will be iffy for the next 10 days. I can't work there unless one of the society members is on site due to insurance reasons. I do have a contact for someone to come over at pretty much a moments notice. Given a couple decent breaks in the weather I can finish in no more than two more sessions. I gotta get my "estimator" tuned up. I thought the whole job wouldn't take but a couple hours :)

Harry K

:muscle: Thats how I would Feel!

Pretty much did. Been a long time since I was so beat out. Took all afternoon and a nap to recover.

That big chunk that looks like two big logs isn't it is the butt cut that sorta forks, those two stems are joined. Butt cut is over 36". Gonna be fun with the 441 but I'd just as soon pass cutting up stuff that big.

Pretty much did. Been a long time since I was so beat out. Took all afternoon and a nap to recover.

That big chunk that looks like two big logs isn't it is the butt cut that sorta forks, those two stems are joined. Butt cut is over 36". Gonna be fun with the 441 but I'd just as soon pass cutting up stuff that big.

Haha, I completely understand. It's not as easy as it used to be, but I still get the same enjoyment as I did my first time around.

Those trees were blowdowns from the huge windstorm we had. Professionals fell, cut them into short logs and cleaned up the mess. Society thought they could get $100 for the wood 'as is'. No takers in two weeks (not a surprise!) so I stepped forward.

That original settlers house is amazing, rehabbed to be just like back when it was first built around 1900. Very worth preserving but the society is having problem keeping it up. Donors are dying off and the younger generations don't seem to be interested.

Harry K

It's a shame they couldn't get just one helper to roll away each piece and occasionally insert a wedge for the pinch cuts, the easy stuff. Good on you for bulling through it.

It's a shame they couldn't get just one helper to roll away each piece and occasionally insert a wedge for the pinch cuts, the easy stuff. Good on you for bulling through it.

One guy would be a help but he'd be mostly standing around. The stuff is fairly well spread out. Not when it gets to those big logs...

Not a good day at it today. Weather promised no rain after 10 and it looked like it was clearing up, hadn't had a drop since 7am. Called Frank to start at 9. Started to sprinkle on my way in and never stopped until I did at 10:30, moderate showers at times steady drip the rest, gloves, pants soaked. Couple failures didn't help. The chain I filed for the 310 wouldn't cut anything, Chain on 361 must have hit dirt again as I had to start riding it after the first 45 minutes. Then used up the last of the gas to fill the 361 one last time, back to it and promptly threw the chain cutting a stub off. 28" bars do not like cuttins small stuff. Figured pack tool back to the truck, grab 441 and lay into some of the big stuff. Nope, pull pull pull not a pop. Cancelled the work session and headed home.

Tried refilling the 310 - nope, teeth hardened just enough to ruin files after a few teeth, threw chain away and mounted one of the new chains.

Went to mix gas and didn't hae enough for a 1gal batch - back to town to get 5 gallons. While there I bought a 2 gallon can, one of those needing three hands and a monkeyi to pour out of... Then reality struck. The day I needed two gallon of mix ended 20 years ago.

Back home, made up gas, filled all saws, grabbed 441, two pulls and purring like kitten!

I'm sure the next session or two - hoping I can finish in two sessions - will bring more pleasures :)

The house:

house_zpsyrsvbttf.jpg

Harry K

Latest posts

Back