No good deed goes unpunished.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. turnkey's a pretty generous old guy. I don't know if he roots for the Cougs, though.

Nope, don't follow sports but I do keep an eye on them to see how badly they can coug it. I was a county jailor back in the 80s when they went to the Rose Bowl. Same year the Colfax county jail was ranked by someone in a top 10 list. That was because we had so many cougs as inmates. They tended to let things get a bit out of hand back then when partying.

County jailer? I don't suppose you know Chad Connors? He was a cop in Colfax some 15 years ago. I think he was in Juvenile Detention. Went to college there with his wife in the early 90's.

Yep, worked with him on some of his cases. I was there 1985-20?? Sorta retired late 90s but they kept pushing me to come back part time and then as a 'fill-in'. I even got an award for burning down the jail. Had a couple minor fires and then what seemed like a major fire, heavy smoke everywhere, couldn't locate the source so I evacuated the entire population. Turned out to be nothing more than a drier fire with the air handler nice enough to distribute the smoke everywhere. All the fire sprinklers went off...except int he laundry room - seems no one thought that area needed one.

Harry K

Another 2 hour stint and finished up the 2nd tree. I had most of the small logs already worked up...I thought. Just ready to pick up the 441 to lay into the big log when I looked over the top of it and saw 5 more smaller logs over there.

tree2_zpsaoposixa.jpg

Was a good day except the 310/20" failed me. Couple cuts bunping knots and died. Started it and died again befoe I could even get on the wood. Okkkaaayyyy. So I wound up bumping knots with a 28" bar - not fun but effective.

441/32" bar was nice eating that log. Would have been faster work with a helper to clear each round out of the way as I cut.

I was pretty well fagged out after finishing that and moved over to sdtart on that twostemmer. One cut and the 32' bar was loose, bar nut gone. Definitely not in the mood to pack it back to the truck to retighten and put on a new nut so I quit. Estimate 1 1/2 hour to finish up bucking that big monster plus the smaller logs it is laying on.

Back home I tried one more time to fire up the 310. Yep, start/die, start/die. A check showed something odd. Did you all know that a saw will not run unless there is fuel in it?

Weather looks good to finish up tomorrow. Talked to Theresa, the society member who is organizing this cluster. She will see about getting a crew to stack the smaller stuff and clean up all the chips and the knots/stubs laying all over. The big rounds can only be moved by rolling them. Told her I would still take my splitter down when weather permits but only if there are two helpers with strong backs.

Those big logs are in the 36" range. I don't think I could even get one of those rounds tipped back up if they were layin flat on the ground.

Harry K

Harry K

So much for a 1.5 hour to finish. Almost made it until I discovered that the 5' of butt end was laying on a rock pile. Yes I discovered one rock by attempting to cut it. So much for a freshly sharped 32" loop. I got it all done except the last 3 cuts on the butt. Had to clear room, rig cable, snatch block etc. to roll the butt end clear of the rocks. Time I had that done I was beat out again and quit. Be another hour or so finishing up.

Next time I start to volunteer for something I hope somebody slaps me upsidadahead...but then why complain, I was in it for the exercise (getting plenty of that!) plus something to do.

Back to the bench tomorrow for more sharpening.

Harry K

I just read the post, I get tired just reading it but things like that keep a person young.. Just don't over do it.. Great Pictures!! I think pine is one of the worst things to cut unless it's frozen. I was going to go outside this morning and work on my wood pile but I'm thinking I'll take the day off and run a file through a few of my chains..

I just read the post, I get tired just reading it but things like that keep a person young.. Just don't over do it.. Great Pictures!! I think pine is one of the worst things to cut unless it's frozen. I was going to go outside this morning and work on my wood pile but I'm thinking I'll take the day off and run a file through a few of my chains..

Wife tried to tell me to quit cutting wood 20 years ago. I explained that I cut wood so I would be in shape to cut wood but it didn't sink in. Admitted that my work "day" had shortened up to about 3hours now but I am still out there.

Turns out that the trees are Red Fir. Had I looked at the bark I would have known it wasn't Ponderosa.

Harry K

Looks like I might get a chance to finish tomorrow. Rain should be stopping about 10:30am and stay dry until about 3. I'll contact Frank (the society monitor) in themorning and figure to start about then. Supposed to be very windy (gusts to 60) but the site is in the bottom of a canyon, in town and lots of trees around so that should bother.

Spent the morning sorting out saws/chains. Finally have all the chains but one sharpened. Had to thwo away two that some ham handed sob had overheated and hardened on a grinder.

The 32" loop I rocked out the other day may be a loss. I tried sharping it but my eyes don't see detail very well so I go by feel. The few teeth I did file didn't feel right but I can't see anything wrong. I'll take it to a dealer in Lewiston who reportedly hand files.

Put in an hour after chain maintenance hand splitting/stacking on the wood pile. Felt good.

Harry K

It's done...with another rocked chain. Cut just that last little bit too far and hit sidewalk. Not too bad this time but I'll add it to the other one for the Lewiston guy to sort out.

Had a brilliant idea on how to handle that big log. Cut most of the way through it and THEN roll it off the rocks. Too bad that idea came after I rolled it.

total time about 9 hours for 2 big red fir trees. I'll still stick with my offer to use my splitter provided they have a crew to help.

Had a guy and wife stop and ask about the wood, told him they were trying to sell it but if not will give it away. He says he can't afford to buy it but has 6 kids and needs wood. 6 kids? really? In this day and age? Even Catholics have stopped doing that.

Harry K

Wife tried to tell me to quit cutting wood 20 years ago. I explained that I cut wood so I would be in shape to cut wood but it didn't sink in. Admitted that my work "day" had shortened up to about 3hours now but I am still out there.

Turns out that the trees are Red Fir. Had I looked at the bark I would have known it wasn't Ponderosa.

Harry K

So how about the last 20 years, any regrets? There is an easier way.

No regrets at all but I must admit your post has me puzzled. Easier way referring to what?

Harry K

As for as heat, turn down the thermostat, bundle up and burn a truckload of dollar bills to keep from freezing. LOL
As for as activity, many complain about how exhausting a round of golf is while riding a cart or mowing the grass on a rider or raking a few leaves in the fall. The same wouldn't even consider shoveling snow, pay the kid next door to do that.

I am being sarcastic of the easy and lite lifestyle here. It is funny to see the mystified look on people's face when they learn my main heat is wood and I cut it all and I enjoy it. Those same people are sitting on upholstered furniture near a TV while I am processing firewood, "a hobby that heats my home". Personally I think the human body is not designed to do well at continuous idle. It's OK if we don't understand the other guys lifestyle though.

I have chosen to stay active and no BS, you are an inspiration.

Personally I think the human body is not designed to do well at continuous idle.
You've got that right. When I look at my older relatives and family friends, it was the ones who never slowed down that lived to be the oldest.

My aunt was walking the neighborhood and mowing her lawn into her 90's. Her mind went before her body though, she lived 6 more years in a retirement home not even knowing her family.

We had another friend who canoe camped until age 90. But once he couldn't get out in the woods, he went quickly.

You've got that right. When I look at my older relatives and family friends, it was the ones who never slowed down that lived to be the oldest.

My aunt was walking the neighborhood and mowing her lawn into her 90's. Her mind went before her body though, she lived 6 more years in a retirement home not even knowing her family.

We had another friend who canoe camped until age 90. But once he couldn't get out in the woods, he went quickly.

My younger brother quit cutting wood about 20 years ago and since has had 2 back surgeries, 1 shoulder and 1 knee surgery. He takes about a dozen prescription medicines a day.

I used to cut wood with my uncle when he was in his 80's. When my aunt got Alzheimers my uncle followed her into the nursing home although he had no health issues. He pushed her around the hallways to get his exercise. 4 days after my aunt died, my uncle died, once again to follow her. He was 97 and still not taking any prescription medicine.

Cutting wood is not the fountain of youth but a machine rusts when not in use, in my opinion.

Back