No good deed goes unpunished.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 days after my aunt died, my uncle died, once again to follow her.

That is definitely true love, I have seen that a few times here locally as well where the second spouse will go days to weeks after the first.

My grandma's sister, at age 84 determined that she had seen everything that she needed to in life and several weeks earlier declared she would die on Easter, which she did. My uncle did hang on a little while, passing on election day. This was several years ago when 84 was still considered "old" but they were living at home and in decent health up to the point that my aunt made her declaration. My uncle went into a nursing home shortly after that and continually asked his closest grandson to bring him his pistol in so he could get to see grandma sooner.

That is definitely true love, I have seen that a few times here locally as well where the second spouse will go days to weeks after the first.

My grandma's sister, at age 84 determined that she had seen everything that she needed to in life and several weeks earlier declared she would die on Easter, which she did. My uncle did hang on a little while, passing on election day. This was several years ago when 84 was still considered "old" but they were living at home and in decent health up to the point that my aunt made her declaration. My uncle went into a nursing home shortly after that and continually asked his closest grandson to bring him his pistol in so he could get to see grandma sooner.

Almost 2 years ago my parents died, 49 days apart.

Almost 2 years ago my parents died, 49 days apart.
On the other side of the spectrum my wife's grandma passed in February of '08. Her grandpa has literally nothing since that point except in his words "wait for time to pass". He is almost 90 now and still in quite good shape considering his lack of activity.

As for as heat, turn down the thermostat, bundle up and burn a truckload of dollar bills to keep from freezing. LOL
As for as activity, many complain about how exhausting a round of golf is while riding a cart or mowing the grass on a rider or raking a few leaves in the fall. The same wouldn't even consider shoveling snow, pay the kid next door to do that.

I am being sarcastic of the easy and lite lifestyle here. It is funny to see the mystified look on people's face when they learn my main heat is wood and I cut it all and I enjoy it. Those same people are sitting on upholstered furniture near a TV while I am processing firewood, "a hobby that heats my home". Personally I think the human body is not designed to do well at continuous idle. It's OK if we don't understand the other guys lifestyle though.

I have chosen to stay active and no BS, you are an inspiration.

Ah! That's my philosophy and at my age it is for sure a case of 'use it or lose it'. Every spring my work 'day' gets shorter and it takes longer to get everything back in some sort of shape.

Harry K

My younger brother quit cutting wood about 20 years ago and since has had 2 back surgeries, 1 shoulder and 1 knee surgery. He takes about a dozen prescription medicines a day.

I used to cut wood with my uncle when he was in his 80's. When my aunt got Alzheimers my uncle followed her into the nursing home although he had no health issues. He pushed her around the hallways to get his exercise. 4 days after my aunt died, my uncle died, once again to follow her. He was 97 and still not taking any prescription medicine.

Cutting wood is not the fountain of youth but a machine rusts when not in use, in my opinion.

I've been incredibly lucky health wise, only serious thing was two hip replacement surgeries. I followed the physical therapy directions religiously except for doubling the number of reps and number of times/day. I was even out cruising my woodpatch planning the seasons work while still using a cane. Everyone I have talked to who had problems after joint replacement were ones who did nothing in the way of PE afterwards.

Harry K

Ah! That's my philosophy and at my age it is for sure a case of 'use it or lose it'. Every spring my work 'day' gets shorter and it takes longer to get everything back in some sort of shape.

Harry K

I thought that was your mindset but intentionally left my question open ended to hear it in your words. Thanks.

I've been incredibly lucky health wise, only serious thing was two hip replacement surgeries. I followed the physical therapy directions religiously except for doubling the number of reps and number of times/day. I was even out cruising my woodpatch planning the seasons work while still using a cane. Everyone I have talked to who had problems after joint replacement were ones who did nothing in the way of PE afterwards.

Harry K

My uncle in my story had a heart attack when he was about 65. The doctor lined out his new diet and exercise program. As you, he followed it religiously and started a new life. Many people never make an attempt at recovery or therapy and their path is predictable.

My dad is 92 and still enjoys his life. When my mother died he was about 70 but he has remarried and continued to live his life. He worked hard most of his life as a carpenter and as recently as 2 years ago was still building projects, although they were less ambitious than the ones he took on at 80. So far he still has use of his faculties but he is starting to slip a little. OTOH my MIL is in her mid 80s and hasn't known my wife for at least the last 5 years.

It's done finally...at least the most of the cutting is. Just got back from 3 hours of noodling the big ones down to where two people can move them .3 full tanks of fuel. Also noodled the smaller ones that were too heavy to lift. Waiting now for the call to take my splitter down. It doesn't go until there is at least a two man crew to help. May hae to noodle the big halves but that won't take long.

The 441cm with a new 20" skip tooth chain was awesome, not one chip jam but the fir was spitting out more chips than noodles and what noodles there were were short. End of the session the 441 didn't want to start so I switched to the 361 with a 25" skip tooth, not quite as fast but still no chip jam.

A few smaller logs that are stuck in the ground and will take some manpower or horsepower to extract

Harry K

It's done finally...at least the most of the cutting is. Just got back from 3 hours of noodling the big ones down to where two people can move them .3 full tanks of fuel. Also noodled the smaller ones that were too heavy to lift. Waiting now for the call to take my splitter down. It doesn't go until there is at least a two man crew to help. May hae to noodle the big halves but that won't take long.

The 441cm with a new 20" skip tooth chain was awesome, not one chip jam but the fir was spitting out more chips than noodles and what noodles there were were short. End of the session the 441 didn't want to start so I switched to the 361 with a 25" skip tooth, not quite as fast but still no chip jam.

A few smaller logs that are stuck in the ground and will take some manpower or horsepower to extract

Harry K

Good information here. I would have never thought that just changing to skip link would make that big of a difference. I have a 362 and a 460 that I like a lot but both are terrible at jamming noodles. Hell, I already have skip link in 25", just never thought to noodle with it.

Glad to hear you have the big rounds cut down to size. I had a couple 40" white oak in the last couple years. It sure gets old wrangling that big stuff around but it does make a lot of wood. You did it for charity and that speaks of your character but don't let them wrangle you into splitting it solo. LOL

Good information here. I would have never thought that just changing to skip link would make that big of a difference. I have a 362 and a 460 that I like a lot but both are terrible at jamming noodles. Hell, I already have skip link in 25", just never thought to noodle with it.

Glad to hear you have the big rounds cut down to size. I had a couple 40" white oak in the last couple years. It sure gets old wrangling that big stuff around but it does make a lot of wood. You did it for charity and that speaks of your character but don't let them wrangle you into splitting it solo. LOL

I suspect the 'no jamming' is more due to the wood species than the skip tooth chain but it for sure is worth trying.

Harry K

One reason pine is so heavy, Harry, is that you were cutting a live tree that was packed with water. Wet, green pine does weigh about the same as oak. It's a back breaker. Doug fir might be even heavier. When air or kiln dried, it drops rather fast in density, unless it's southern yellow pine. I have worked with dry boards of southern yellow pine that are about as dense as oak. At one time, I made several of my shop tool stands with it.

One reason pine is so heavy, Harry, is that you were cutting a live tree that was packed with water. Wet, green pine does weigh about the same as oak. It's a back breaker. Doug fir might be even heavier. When air or kiln dried, it drops rather fast in density, unless it's southern yellow pine. I have worked with dry boards of southern yellow pine that are about as dense as oak. At one time, I made several of my shop tool stands with it.

Southern yellow pine is a well regarded framing lumber here, and it is heavy and hard.

I relearned an old lesson yesterday. Getting saws ready for an expidition to the wood patch and found odd stuff stuck to the barrs and around the sprocket. Then it dawned on me. Red Fir, pitch, have fun cleaning things with turpentine!

Harry K

Hi Harry K. If you are having trouble seeing the small details when sharpening chains etc, try something like this.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-illu...006370?hash=item25ac176d22:g:FJAAAOSwPcVV1tM2

or this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Diopte...924067?hash=item1c38da70a3:g:tjgAAMXQeW5TbgQC

Before I retired I was a dental mechanic, and in the later years it became difficult to see details.
You will be amazed at the details you can see with a magnifier.
You might find one in an electronics store.
There is a lot of truth in that saying, no good deed goes un-punished :)

Southern yellow pine makes excellent dimensional lumber but I have no idea what it is like to burn.

Like any wood, it needs good drying, then it is rocket fuel. The inner heartwood down near the roots is what fatwood is, or the best anyway. Doesn't need drying and won't rot for years and years, no idea how long. That stuff you can light while it is wet with a match and it will catch and burn. Just some slivers carved off with a knife will get a fire going.

Back