No key card this season.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you really complaining? I havent made it yet myself and im betting I wont this year. and that doesnt bother me in the least

-33 this am,,73 in the house.. yesterday,,,,-31, 75 in the house.. two days in a row. not that I like it that cold outside.. damn glad it aint got one breath of wind.....

So far this winter we've hit -17 a few times, an today is one of them. That still only qualifies me for the less than worthy 90 degree club. It's dang near March, it's cold, I don't have to work, owb is full...That said I'm going back to bed.

are you really complaining?
Nawww... no complaints... just makin' an observation and thinkin' out loud (keyboard style).
Heck, if the key card was that important to me it wouldn't be difficult to pump another 7°-8° into the house... with a warm-air furnace it's a simple matter of adjustin' the thermostat. Lots of guys have claimed membership by postin' somethin' along the lines of... "it's -15° outside and 85° inside." Well, in my mind, unless you normally keep your house at 85°... it don't really count‼ We keep the house at a targeted 71° and consider 74° as being uncomfortably warm... meaning it would haf'ta drop to -29° for me to "feel right" about claimin' membership. This season -22° is as close as we've come. Last season I made the club (just barely, twice)... likely won't make it again for a few years.

Not counting wind chill is gay. I would much rather have 20 below than zero with 40 mi winds. Feels colder outside and steals more heat from the house.

Not counting wind chill is gay.
In this case I respectfully disagree. Windchill numbers are calculated by an instrument in full wind and these are also calculated using the maximum gusts during any given day. Unless someone is standing in an open field or on a lake they aren't exposed to that "equivalent" temp. Or to put it in different terms, these numbers are quite subjective.

Well I would be darn happy about not being in that club! I hit it only once a couple years ago when the temps dropped down to less than -30 and don't want to do it again!

Not counting wind chill is gay. I would much rather have 20 below than zero with 40 mi winds. Feels colder outside and steals more heat from the house.

Man, I sit next to a north wall with serious hunnert year old cracks and a single pane wood sash window. Them polar siberian vortex express winds, sheesh...teens and 20 MPH winds are COLD. Below that and I start thinking about south georgia and swamps.....

Need to have the ..uhh...refined southern gentlmen of taste 50 degree club! Cold enough!

I think all ya'all 100 degree dudes get conked on the noggin a bunch when you slam the front door and them 50 lb icycles hanging up there cut loose....100 degree club.nuts!.no thanks! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Glad I did all that noise when I was younger and my ole bod could pump out a bit more heat.

It has barely been getting much below forty around here most of this winter. I need to open the window each night to burn.

In this case I respectfully disagree. Windchill numbers are calculated by an instrument in full wind and these are also calculated using the maximum gusts during any given day. Unless someone is standing in an open field or on a lake they aren't exposed to that "equivalent" temp. Or to put it in different terms, these numbers are quite subjective.

I agree. With counting wind it would be a 150+ degree temp difference between inside and out.

I think all ya'all 100 degree dudes get conked on the noggin a bunch when you slam the front door and them 50 lb icycles hanging up there cut loose....100 degree club.nuts!.no thanks! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Icicle dodging is a regional sport. Well, technically, the sport is watching the transplants learn about icicle dodging.

The front room of our house sometimes gets to 85-86 on the cold nights as I crank up the stove right before bed. But I wouldn't count that as a ticket into the 100 deg club. It'd really have to get to -25F or colder here for me to claim entry fairly and it has only tickled that temp at -22 a couple of years ago.

Going to go out on a limb and say we're done with subzero after this week.
Yeah, you're likely correct. "They're" sayin maybe some significant snow for us Tuesday, then -12° for Thursday morning... and then a warm-up above the freezin' mark durin' the day through the weekend. But I'm not willin' to go out on the same limb just yet... not until March 15th... the first couple weeks of March are just too damn unpredictable. Ya' might see 50° one day, and -20° a couple days later...

Yeah, you're likely correct. "They're" sayin maybe some significant snow for us Tuesday, then -12° for Thursday morning... and then a warm-up above the freezin' mark durin' the day through the weekend. But I'm not willin' to go out on the same limb just yet... not until March 15th... the first couple weeks of March are just too damn unpredictable. Ya' might see 50° one day, and -20° a couple days later...

Ya never know about March.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

Latest posts

Back