Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tyler, Ranger Sandy has my phone number. Call me when the time gets near. AS is not as pleasant as it used to be so I may or may not still be a member when work comes up. I am always happy to help.
My e-mail is [email protected]

Same here. Different e-mail, but somebody let me know please. I can do flunky work. 2dogs is a facebook friend.

Don't know if this will appeal to anyone, but here goes. A while back there was an interesting (to me, at least) thread about getting leaning trees to fall away from that lean. Methods were described but I learn best by seeing, preferably in person.

So here's the idea. At our property in Napa (roughly 45 minutes from Bothe) there are several Doug firs that need to be cut in a meadow we are reclaiming. The ideal direction to drop them is at a right angle to their lean and limb load.Their location is such, though, that whatever direction they go makes no difference other than relative ease of disposing of them. In my book, that makes them ideal learning opportunities. I'm asking if anyone who is planning to attend the GTG would be interested either in (A) demonstrating how to steer such trees or (B) watching and learning (and perhaps trying to emulate) the technique(s). A picture of the trees is below. Three of them are roughly 16"-20" DBH and all are leaning to the left. I'd prefer to see them fall toward the camera.

As to scheduling, I'm wide open. Most critical is whether there is a willing "teacher" and what day/time works best for him. I also would not want this to compete with any work the GTGers might be doing to help out at the park.

P1020198.jpg

Looks like they are all tangled together so lean isn't the only challenge :p
Some, but not as much as it appears. That is one more reason to want them to fall towards the camera, nearest one first. Although it's not clear in the picture, the trees are in a rough line going away from the camera.

Some, but not as much as it appears. That is one more reason to want them to fall towards the camera, nearest one first. Although it's not clear in the picture, the trees are in a rough line going away from the camera.

I am not a faller, but it looks to me that if one does the normal starting procedure of falling the outside tree towards an opening, they'll go. Then you work your way back, falling trees towards the opening. There is an opening on at least two sides to go for. It almost looks like it is a clump so there might be openings on all sides. No fancy stuff required there.

On the swinging them bit, I can't say. That will take somebody who is a professional and knows their stuff. That would not be me. 2dogs, Randymac, Gologit, Spotted Owl, and Madhatte can put their heads together.

I looked up the park site and they still mention showers. That's a good thing. I have been saving up quarters.

Latest posts

Back