Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Kyler those pounders have been around for years, sometimes with a thick piece of flat bar welded on where the axe blade was, others with a piece of maybe 2" round stock welded on. This pounder I saw had a wide and thick grubbing hoe, similar to a hazel hoe, and a 1" x 3" pounding surface. I looked to be very well made, not just thrown together in the welding shop.

Those Dragon Slayer tools look like they are marketed to HOAs and the like. I don't think many people are willing to pay $300.00 for a hand tool. I have never even seen one IRL.

Those Dragon Slayer tools look like they are marketed to HOAs and the like. I don't think many people are willing to pay $300.00 for a hand tool. I have never even seen one IRL.

I see them pretty regularly... in the hands of F&W folk. There is a pretty legit reason for buying them, namely that agency rules require them to all have the same stuff. So, they go Cadillac because nobody with a checkbook realizes that Hyundai exists. The folks I am referring to do 99% RX burns for ecological restoration. I had a couple of them show up on one of my routine range fires and ask during the AAR "when did you size this up?" to which I replied "every time we have the same fire in the same place and same fuels, I get better at anticipating its needs."

Do the fish cops realize that size up is an ongoing process?

Bunny-huggers and fish ticklers who only do RX fire don't do size-up much at all, so they take a bit of hand-holding. They are really, really good with a torch, and also with water use. It's a different set of skills. I usually learn something when I work with them.

Aaron, Broc Luno, and Charlie... And anyone else of course, the state forester/arborist is coming here to tag hazard trees on the 6th and 17th of October. Be nice if you were involved as you will be involved with the removal of. It's a Thursday, I'm going to take time off of my other job to be here for it. See you soon

Aaron, Broc Luno, and Charlie... And anyone else of course, the state forester/arborist is coming here to tag hazard trees on the 6th and 17th of October. Be nice if you were involved as you will be involved with the removal of. It's a Thursday, I'm going to take time off of my other job to be here for it. See you soon
Do you know yet what time on the 6th & 17th? Or is this an all-day sorta thing?

Hey y'all. November is around the corner. Aaron and I are meeting some time this weekend to start setting up the gtg. I have a few ideas I want to bounce off of everyone: is anyone willing to give a little talk about anything arboriculture? I have talked to Nate about doing some kind of science related talk. Maybe 2dogs could handle the safety stuff again; for all of us and some public that are interested. we will be a public event this year, our 5th annual! I'm looking forward to it! It's also a hazard tree removal year so be ready to fell. I'll have fun cut logs in day use area near the pool. There is a downed oak at our camp spot at the horse stables that we should be able to buck Friday if anyone wants to show up a little early... Kevin? Hope to see you all there!
hey tyler i am going to try and make it shooting for Friday after noon maybe Thursday. got some logistics to figure out. i can bring my line gear and will bring my climbing gear. i will let you know if i can make it when i figure out my vehicle situation

Do you know yet what time on the 6th & 17th? Or is this an all-day sorta thing?

All day I think, til 3 or so I should say. She will probably arrive around 8 am

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be there if at all possible.

Dangit. I'm not receiving notifications of replies here again, and haven't been prowling around the forums much. Just dug up this thread and saw these tonight (0100 PST 10/18). I had yesterday (Monday 10/17) off and could have been there. ARGH!!!

Tyler please shoot me texts in case I miss things here. I hope the inspections went well. I have gotten almost zero saw shop time this year. WAAY behind on projects. Been a rough/busy one....

I would have called you aaron but my phone got stolen at an event at the mill 3 weeks ago. ill be honest; I don't miss having a phone at all!! you didn't miss much with the ecologist Cindy. she tagged about ten little trees in the campground on the 6th, all really easy stuff I put on the ground last week. she tagged a huge fir in campsite one. its tall, thick and dead. fungus all the way up the bark and I guessing pretty hallow/rotten in the middle. I personally am afraid of this tree. Rob wants to contract it out. there is an oak she wants removed near that tree too. its got a nasty lean and is resting on a small fir. under the canopy, high voltage lines.............contract. yesterday we walked dayuse, she wants crown cleaning in a few oaks and tagged a madrone for removal. the madrone is 1.5 ft bhd. it is right where we stage a marathon this coming weekend so I may remove tomorrow. im getting an order of large stone in day use before our event so we can replace the logs I have set there with that stone after we cut it all up. one log is pretty big and should be a fun cutting log for the big saws. you and I should look at some snags that were not on the hazard tree list because of lack of target. I would not mind felling them while we have the help of the fpg instead of waiting for them to come down on their own at, of course, the most inconvenient time. stay in touch via AS aaron. or email me [email protected].

she did not tag that pine surprisingly. I pointed it out to her and she called it good, said to keep an eye on it. a couple of the trees that I was sure would get tagged did not but she told me to call her before the busy season (may) and she will reinspect.

Latest posts

Back