Not impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled all the followers today after family walk. Greased them all and put it all back together. All of them took grease and the initial addition I could force in just from the pressure from my fingers.

I ordered the UHMW-PE tubing to try.
Post #62

Did not work well.
After a few cord the material seemed soft and developed a burr around the edges, making it wider there and binding on the mounting bracket. It also embedded grit in the surface of material where it made contact on the beam.
Put the original cam follower back on tonight.

Not impressed with chainsaw yesterday. First guess is old gas mix but it has been running well up to now with it, cutting several cords. So has the leaf blower run well. Looked at the chainsaw fuel filter and it seemed okay. Dumped the old mix in the car, half a gallon or so, and mixed up new Stihl Ultra.

Update on the greased bearings...

Temps were around the 50's today. Got about a cord split tonite...

I could tell the grease at these temps slowed the return of the ram a bit. It didn't bounce off the rubber bumpers like it normally does, it came to a slow stop against them on the return stroke. Otherwise, no issues. The decrease in return force was only noticeable during the last 3 inches or so of the return stroke.

Just wanted to update..... 8 hours on the clock since greasing the bearings and I haven't had to do anything to them since. Ive greased the rack and flywheel bearings 3 times since.....

I will have to find a much lighter weight grease as the temps fall......

Just wanted to update..... 8 hours on the clock since greasing the bearings and I haven't had to do anything to them since. Ive greased the rack and flywheel bearings 3 times since.....

I will have to find a much lighter weight grease as the temps fall......
Casey,what grease are you using now?I think I'd try whats sometimes called cornhead grease,either 00 or 000 grease,I've forgotten which .Very light,almost a liquid.Tractor Supply carrys it.Lubriplate 105 would be a good choice also.

Casey,what grease are you using now?I think I'd try whats sometimes called cornhead grease,either 00 or 000 grease,I've forgotten which .Very light,almost a liquid.Tractor Supply carrys it.Lubriplate 105 would be a good choice also.

I think it was Lucas heavy duty green stuff. Either that or Mobil synthetic. I don't remember. Basically the same stuff I use on the tractor pivots, spindles, wheel bearings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from a field

I think it was Lucas heavy duty green stuff. Either that or Mobil synthetic. I don't remember. Basically the same stuff I use on the tractor pivots, spindles, wheel bearings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from a field
I don't know about the mobile syn. but the lukas green is a very good grease.One local tractor dealer uses only that in his shop.The grease I said you should try is only slightly lighter than the lucas.

Well, 12.5 hours when I started this thread and then greased all the bearings.

35 hours on the clock now and I haven't touched any of them until today. All of them are still rolling nicely, albeit with a bit of friction since its cold. The bearing that rides on the beam is still free, but it does need to be serviced. It rolls quite freely compared to the rest of the bearings.

I'm going to order a complete set of bearings and load them up with a lighter grease.

So I see there is a "crowned" version of these bearings..... Seems like they would work well on the SS to take up any misalignment in the follower bearing and the uneven wear I see on the top of the rack....

Thoughts?

Crowned bearings showed up today. The crown is only noticeable by placing the bearing on a flat surface... and even then one may miss if it not looking for it. I think they'll work great.

Corn Head grease should be here tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back