Not impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need a hand bucking that and splitting let me know, also done a roof or two when I had my roofing business ;).

Thats family time. Kids like running the splitter and the wife likes driving the tractor.

Ive got a cutting table in mind that @Sandhill Crane gave me some ideas on. I think I'm going to work on it this weekend since I have to put off setting poles again.

How much do you figure is there?

I'm not going to fathom a guess. Ive lost count of the number of loads Ive brought home. I think Ive got enough to see the kids through high school graduation.

While the bonnet was off I had another idea:IMG_4460.jpgThis photo is looking through a cut out in the flywheel.
You are looking at a flat piece of spring steel, and to the right the coil spring that pushes up on the rack. To the right of it, and out of sight, is the cam follower that rolls on the center of the beam. The shine, below the spring steel flat stock, is the center of the beam where the present cam follower travels.

What if: What if the spring steel was replaced with a bracket that housed a larger "wheel", say from roller blades. I did not measure the distance between the beam and engaged rack height, but it is maybe a tight 3". A lip behind the wheel would be needed for the existing coil spring to sit on.
Requirements would be the height restriction, and width restriction is the bump stops the present bearing slips between. And distance to pinion gear.
I'm picturing a half covered fender with sides, mounted on a shorter spring steel strip for a little give. Coil mounted behind it. The coil could be replaced with a torsion style spring if need be.
The only thing gained is a larger diameter wheel, less impacted by debris. (possibly sealed bearings) IMG_4456.jpg

I like the idea of an actual wheel to keep the bearing out of the gunk. Rollerblade wheel may be to large. Either grind it down or use a roller skate wheel.

Sent from a field

IMG_4469.jpg IMG_4468.jpg IMG_4475.jpg
Spring clean up this week. I left logs on the log deck this winter and a huge pile of bark underneath. To get to the bark means moving the log deck, which meant moving the logs.

The UHMW-PE tube I used worked okay, but no better than the cam follower it replaced.
The four wheel SuperSplit mod on the other hand was worth every penny.

Top photo: I had a pet crate to set the saw on last year, but a log came off the corner of the deck and smashed it. (I always move the saw out of harms way when loading the deck.) This 16" deep tub is just right for starting a saw, and letting it idle with the chain break on when moving round to the staging bench. The slight lip keeps the saw from vibrating off on the ground when running. The saw is a 357XP, and used to be my go to saw for eight years. It was a beautiful mid size saw.

Recently I talked about THE 357XP sitting on the shelf last year with issues. I was extremely disappointed with Husky. Going back a few years, my only saw for close to twenty years was an 042. Then I added an 021 for cleaning up tops and scattering the branches. The 042's 3/8" tooth was way too grabby for that. Several years ago a friend sold all his firewood equipment and I picked up his 066. Great three saw plan, 021/357XP/066, until I sat a 28" Oak butt on the 066 and pushed it a foot in the ground.

Then the 357 gave me trouble last Spring, and was in a shop for several weeks.
Figuring the 357 would be running soon, but needing a saw to continue cutting, I replaced the 066, with an ms661. Love it with a 25" bar. Which was good because the 357 was sucking air or something, and turned out something else was going on, so the 357 sat. The shop I bought it from, lost the Husky franchise or something, so that door was closed. I took it back to the first shop a second time but it still wasn't sorted out.

Last Fall over a Saturday morning breakfast at the local cafe, someone suggested VIP in Grand Haven, MI. It sat in the garage on the shelf for four months and I didn't want to look at it any more, so I made the 30 mile trip to drop it off. I did ask if they would fix it while I wait... just for giggles. Okay, that didn't happen, but...when I did get it back late last Fall I put it on the shelf and continued using the 661. I still didn't want to look at it. The new bar was from last Spring. Didn't even rub the paint off it.

I finally fired the 357 up yesterday.
It ran great... Really, really great!
Thank you VIP!!!

And, thank you SuperSplit!

I was picturing Casey's Kubota today, the whole time I was cleaning up four ATV trailer loads of bark with a pitchfork...

Rain coming down hard Casey. Looks like you might get a rain day. Used to love the occasional Friday rain day when I did bridge work. Of course, the occasional three days of rain during the week was a bit much, especially when working out of town, or out of state. Worked bridge repair in Reno most of one summer, and on the I-205 across the Columbia River the year they finished it. Michigan mostly though.

Rain coming down hard Casey. Looks like you might get a rain day. Used to love the occasional Friday rain day when I did bridge work. Of course, the occasional three days of rain during the week was a bit much, especially when working out of town, or out of state. Worked bridge repair in Reno most of one summer, and on the I-205 across the Columbia River the year they finished it. Michigan mostly though.

No rain days for me... If the field work gets delayed, I have desk work to do. I used to be able to enjoy rain days!

I may leave early, though. Deal with the auger is if I pick it up after noon and have it back by 7am Monday, its only a 1 day rental.

They make small skateboard wheels

Post #163, second photo shows the push plate return bump stops, if you know what your looking at. Hard to tell otherwise. The present bearing set up goes between them, as there is one on each side. Those could be reconfigured as well.
OH, OH.... Great Idea. (This is a thought process in motion:drinkingcoffee:)

Move the bump stops to the bottom of the beam!!!!! (Okay, time to pull the bonnet again and take another look.)

Side tracked again...

Well, you gotta be tough to make it in Alaska!! I made it there, so I know I'm tough!! ha ha ha

SR

Rain day? Rain has never stopped me. Just put on a rain coat and carry on.

Well, when your business is working with dirt, water tends to make it mud. When it turns to mud, you...

Can't build things with it.

Can't drive through it.

Can't run grade with it.

Can't pack and perform density tests.

Well, when your business is working with dirt, water tends to make it mud. When it turns to mud, you...

Can't build things with it.

Can't drive through it.

Can't run grade with it.

Can't pack and perform density tests.

Gotcha. Guess I forgot a few on here aren't doing forestry work in some form or fashion to make a living.

I'm at about 20hrs on mine, I will keep an eye on this bearing and write down what you guys find as the best alternative and replace when the time comes. I have taken more firewood this year by far than ever before simply because now I enjoy splitting firewood.

While I agree this is a problem and it's probably time for SS to change to a new bearing style during their builds and offer them to clients of existing machines, it's awfully funny how some are jumping the gun and using this as a platform for the old Hydro vs Kinetic debate. Really gents it's a $20 or so wear item that honestly could have had a defect from the factory.

If we can find a fix collectively it will help us all out, heck maybe SS will take notice and change the bearing and this issue can become a thing of the past.

Thanks for the work fellas.

Ok... an update... I have not installed the sealed roller bearings because I don't want to take the time to find shims to shim them so they work.

BUT... I decided that I'm going to put the follower on a routine maintenance program. Since I have 2, I was going to swap them out every cord or so and let the one not in the machine soak in oil. Then it hit me....

Most of us here are old enough to have packed a wheel bearing by hand. Placing a dollop of grease in one palm and forcing it into the race... Well, the follower has a hole on the inner race where fresh oil is supposed to lubricate the bearing... So why not take the same packing philosophy and apply it to the follower.

Pack the inside of the bearing, where the bolt goes through, full of grease. Then on one end, doesn't matter which, leave a bit humped up and then pinch the bolt hole between your thumb and pointy finger. Just pinch the center race as you want to be able to spin the outer race so the grease under pressure is forced into the hole on the inner race. Low and behold, it worked. I could feel the pressure decrease as I spun the bearing and got enough grease into it to force out the old lubricant through the seal.

I believe Ive come up with a solution that will work for me. I'm going to do the same thing on the rest of the cam followers as time permits.

Ok... an update... I have not installed the sealed roller bearings because I don't want to take the time to find shims to shim them so they work.

BUT... I decided that I'm going to put the follower on a routine maintenance program. Since I have 2, I was going to swap them out every cord or so and let the one not in the machine soak in oil. Then it hit me....

Most of us here are old enough to have packed a wheel bearing by hand. Placing a dollop of grease in one palm and forcing it into the race... Well, the follower has a hole on the inner race where fresh oil is supposed to lubricate the bearing... So why not take the same packing philosophy and apply it to the follower.

Pack the inside of the bearing, where the bolt goes through, full of grease. Then on one end, doesn't matter which, leave a bit humped up and then pinch the bolt hole between your thumb and pointy finger. Just pinch the center race as you want to be able to spin the outer race so the grease under pressure is forced into the hole on the inner race. Low and behold, it worked. I could feel the pressure decrease as I spun the bearing and got enough grease into it to force out the old lubricant through the seal.

I believe Ive come up with a solution that will work for me. I'm going to do the same thing on the rest of the cam followers as time permits.
Clever,just damn clever!

Back