not much of a face cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
HQ_West_Burn_Prep_Low_Res.jpg

Thats is it. 1/3 is no good for that crowd, 70 degree plus under cut, a tiny ways into the tree. Then the esteemed bore cut. Pound the snot out of a couple of wedges and then back cut.

If he made a decent sized undercut, he couldn't bore cut, so........

I'm real curious to know the logic behind using that style "face cut"...

Yes that is an open face cut and yes he's actually one of the five Park Service C instructors in the U.S. If you see the saw tilted sideways he's boring into the tree to set some wedges to directionally fall the tree. I dont remember this tree or day, but he was my engine supervisor for the park I worked at this summer.

Yes that is an open face cut and yes he's actually one of the five Park Service C instructors in the U.S. If you see the saw tilted sideways he's boring into the tree to set some wedges to directionally fall the tree. I dont remember this tree or day, but he was my engine supervisor for the park I worked at this summer.

That guy is an instructor????:monkey:

thats no open face,you need at least 40% of the diameter. He just scraped off the bark!!!

anyone thats cut hardwoods professionally in the east can attest to the bore cut. I wasn't sold of it at first but it saves you loosing the but of the log because a small face cut is accepted by the scalers. It also gives you alot more control on medium sized trees 8 -25 inches dbh if your going to have to wedge it anyways. thats all the game of logger guys do is bore cut trees and they have pin point accuracy where that tree is going to fall.

so much for maximizing the width of the hinge.

backcut first and then face... could get a decent face in that way.

Reguardless of the bore cut arguement, that is a chintzy face. It might just be the picture but it looks like just bark and a little sapwood. 90% of the vertical cut is wasted. Seems like you could just wallow out a kerf face and it would do the same.

But you never know about a picture, it can look "funny" when it is not. As someone said he probably is a good faller. I have went back and looked at some of my stumps and wondered What he heck I was doing????

I did see the saw tilted, but still cant see the reasoning behind the miniature front (face cut) I have never seen a front that small, I should imagine even loading with wedges the tree will most likely sit on the stump, but again I cant see the head of the tree so there may be reasoning behind a small to virtually no front/face cut maybe substantial head lean?? but again each to there own I wasnt there!!

How to fall a tree???

For what it's worth; if you are going to cut a tree the way that it is displayed in the pic, and it has any side lean at all, and that is not where you want it to go:monkey:(where it is leaning) You will NOT be able to control it with a little scratch of an undercut like that. This is how they teach in the Forest Service, and other places...I had a friend from Germany that went to a "tree faller" school, who would "blaze" an undercut on a tree like that too, and could never understand the logic of how us Pacific Northwest Timber Fallers did it until he spent some time with the crews that I worked with for Columbia...then he understood, and could see how us poor dumb old boys did it:clap: If I were a guy wanting to REALLY learn how to fall timber, I would pay more attention to more guys like hotsaws101's videos (although, most of the techniques that he displays in his videos are fairly advanced and should ONLY be tried if a guy has some good timber falling mechanics and fundamentals), and shy away from all of the "procedural" "by the book" types. Just my two cents! I know..."I would never make it in their world, and they would never make it in mine":cheers:

Reguardless of the bore cut arguement, that is a chintzy face. It might just be the picture but
it looks like just bark and a little sapwood. 90% of the vertical cut is wasted. Seems like you could just wallow out a kerf face and it would do the same.

Nuff said:clap:

But you never know about a picture, it can look "funny" when it is not. As someone said he probably is a good faller. I have went back and looked at some of my stumps and wondered What he heck I was doing????

Man...you are too nice!:cheers:I need to take lessons:bang:

anyone thats cut hardwoods professionally in the east can attest to the bore cut. I wasn't't sold of it at first but it saves you loosing the but of the log because a small face cut is accepted by the scalers. It also gives you alot more control on medium sized trees 8 -25 inches dbh if your going to have to wedge it anyways. thats all the game of logger guys do is bore cut trees and they have pin point accuracy where that tree is going to fall.

I have cut some hardwood and I can not STAND that game of logging ####.

I use humblodts, saginaws, and kirf faces, with dutchmans, steps, and shelves... and i rarely if ever do any bore cutting.

the open face notch has so many flaws its not even funny.
the biggest twos are

1. sch a shallow face is a sure bet on having the tree peel the stump if there is any side lean.

2. it is completely inefficient, ripping for 1 minute to face a 24 inch tree.:dizzy::dizzy:

There are more, but IMO, this technique should be abolished!!!!!!!!!!!!

For what it's worth; if you are going to cut a tree the way that it is displayed in the pic, and it has any side lean at all, and that is not where you want it to go:monkey:(where it is leaning) You will NOT be able to control it with a little scratch of an undercut like that. This is how they teach in the Forest Service, and other places...I had a friend from Germany that went to a "tree faller" school, who would "blaze" an undercut on a tree like that too, and could never understand the logic of how us Pacific Northwest Timber Fallers did it until he spent some time with the crews that I worked with for Columbia...then he understood, and could see how us poor dumb old boys did it:clap: If I were a guy wanting to REALLY learn how to fall timber, I would pay more attention to more guys like hotsaws101's videos (although, most of the techniques that he displays in his videos are fairly advanced and should ONLY be tried if a guy has some good timber falling mechanics and fundamentals), and shy away from all of the "procedural" "by the book" types. Just my two cents! I know..."I would never make it in their world, and they would never make it in mine":cheers:

Listen to him. . .

Back