not much of a face cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What saw do you use fir the biggins?

.Historically , 056 Mag 2 , 288 Husky . 2100 and 2101 Huskies ... A real good saw !!!!! , 394 Huskies , and the Best big saws I,ve ever run 3120 Huskies .....
.While the small saw was a 044 , 266 , 272 .or sometimes an 064 ... I,ve even had the 288 w/32" bar as my main saw and the 394 w/ 36" for the bigger stuff and had a 42" bar & chain to put on in the crummy behind the back seat ...

. I may make that statement my signature line ....... 056 , heres something to think about , if we all didn,t need it ,we wouldn,t be packin it around for fun ... I,ve seen guys tramped for stump wrenchin ,for not having a spare saw when they needed it , tho if they were a good cutter the bull buck would let them slide as long as they were ready to go in the morning ..... I won,t change a tip in the brush , just swap bars , no biggy,, fix it @ the saw shop after supper when I go to grind my chains ......
If my strip is big , I keep a spare saw , fueled up on my strip ..... Some cutting situations don,t require me to wear my fuel/oil bottles , so just use my jugs or a piggy back .. Thats what the gas/oil combo plastic jugs are called ...... In the variable timber we have in Southeast I keep 2 different size saws around ... If I,m in small junk or poles I,ll use the 372 or 460 , W/ 30" bar but keep the 90cc plus saw out of the way or by the big stuff . sometimes all set up with the long bar on it ..... I,ll do the swampin out with the regular saw , and spring board cuts , then use the Fallin saw to put it on the ground and take the butt cut off ..........

:clap:

My wedge belt w/out fuel bottles
FallingTimberBigBearTimberSaleCh-1.jpg

. and my fallers pack
2boatwinches6-21-08001-1.jpg
.. I can stull a fallin saw powerhead into this pack and it doesn,t gouge a hole in my back packin in or out and it,s short enough I can walk under limbs and it doesn,t get hung up ...

I completely understand the reason for packing the stuff around.

Same for needing it, it is more time affective for me just to carry a saw wrench an saw liqiuds attached to a string. the wrench is in the pocket and the gas stays a few trees away.

Likei stated previously if I was out there like TB and the others, would be self contained & self sufficent.

But as far as waisting time, I dont think i would have kept a job if I was waisting too much time.

.Historically , 056 Mag 2 , 288 Husky . 2100 and 2101 Huskies ... A real good saw !!!!! , 394 Huskies , and the Best big saws I,ve ever run 3120 Huskies .....
.While the small saw was a 044 , 266 , 272 .or sometimes an 064 ... I,ve even had the 288 w/32" bar as my main saw and the 394 w/ 36" for the bigger stuff and had a 42" bar & chain to put on in the crummy behind the back seat ...

I wish I had a good excuse to buy a 3120. We don't even pack gas or bar oil, we just wait for the skidder to come back and refuel.

I,m pretty hard core about keeping the operators in their place , which means I am self contained .... It leads to cutters making more money .....This 18 bucks and hour don,t cut it .. A dollar a minute is barley enough ... having a skidder fall your trees for you puts you 1 step from being unnecessary in the woods .......... Unless you just want to be an equipment operator , but thats not much of a life ,............................. ,........... Fallers are smarter than anyone else
Fallers are tougher than anyone else
Fallers work harder than anyone else
Fallers make more money than anyone else
Fallers in Southeast, Alaska do the most dangerous job in the free world ...
I,m a Timber Faller from Southeast Alaska !!

No disrespect ment to any brush apes or operators who arn,t fallers . But when the cuttin crew does their job right , it makes life better for everyone ... If I was running a skidder and someone wanted me to push their trees over .:confused::censored::spam::censored::censored::censored:

I,m pretty hard core about keeping the operators in their place , which means I am self contained .... It leads to cutters making more money .....This 18 bucks and hour don,t cut it .. A dollar a minute is barley enough ... having a skidder fall your trees for you puts you 1 step from being unnecessary in the woods .......... Unless you just want to be an equipment operator , but thats not much of a life ,............................. ,........... Fallers are smarter than anyone else

I hate working by the hour (which is what I'm doing now). I'd much rather get paid for what I get done.

Andy

I wish I had a good excuse to buy a 3120. We don't even pack gas or bar oil, we just wait for the skidder to come back and refuel.
I wish I had the money to buy a 3120. If I had the cash I'm sure I could find a good excuse.:):cheers:

I hate working by the hour (which is what I'm doing now). I'd much rather get paid for what I get done.

Andy

Absolutely, it's also good job satisfaction to be able to look back at the end of the day and see what you've accomplished (and earned your money!). Much more so than the stack of papers you've piled in your outbox!

Andy
i dont neccesarily agree andy,you put me on by the piece on a d6c,and i wont let off the fuel for nothing! upshifting the whole way down the hill...stumps?what stumps?trust me i can hang on tighter than that machine can hold together!but you running your own machines i bet you have found a good balance,as i did by the hour working for george...one thing i learned for sure is that a machine that continues to move continues to make money

Last edited:
Fallers are smarter than anyone else

I'd beg to differ. i'm not trying to start a fight, but c'mon. Really?

i dont neccesarily agree andy,you put me on by the piece on a d6c,and i wont let off the fuel for nothing! upshifting the whole way down the hill...stumps?what stumps?trust me i can hang on tighter than that machine can hold together!but you running your own machines i bet you have found a good balance,as i did by the hour working for george...one thing i learned for sure is that a machine that continues to move continues to make money

Hahaha. Chris, that's what I call the bull in the china closet syndrome.
A guy that tears :censored: up, dosen't usually have a job long, and word spreads pretty quick. A good piece worker knows, as you have learned, that a machine that continues to move, continues to make money........for everyone.

Andy

3120 Or Bust!

I agree with the any excuse commentary...
I have a new 60" Cannon bar with your name on when the time comes. Also, if you want it to really run, there are a few tricks that, for a small fee of course, can be done to make it an animal.

I agree with the any excuse commentary...
I have a new 60" Cannon bar with your name on when the time comes. Also, if you want it to really run, there are a few tricks that, for a small fee of course, can be done to make it an animal.

More YouTube videos of you falling timber. . . Please and thank you. :cheers:

I'd beg to differ. i'm not trying to start a fight, but c'mon. Really?

You ever cut in Southeast ????? How many guys you work with died working , or got busted up for life ???????? When you are cutting all the time so you can see salt water , it really increases the challenges ..... There are some nice steep places in BC but I figure you guys can speak for your selves ... Do you guys bushel ????????????????

Latest posts

Back