Not my favorite thing second try

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this in the box with an 038 mag2 that arrived a while back. Not my favorite handle configuration.
68976c7da7842e11822bf74d2b1814fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This breakage business seems to be an issue with this model of saw. How many people think I'll be able to make this handle as strong as or stronger than it was when new? This will be like the 044 repair thread in my sig, only with actual pictures. This tank also leaks from somewhere, so that will be fun to deal with.

The ends have been rejoined, now we wait till tomorrow to begin reinforcing the repair.
f6d38b7a2e5f0693c67ad0ea6dc7fb9c.jpg

21728a153a4a03751400a60f90212ff4.jpg

My blue tape got left out in the rain, so I hope the epoxy doesn't bond too well to the gorilla tape.

What would you use for reinforcement? I'm thinking some galvanized (for grip) wire about 1/16" thick , the stiffer the better. Or I could put some #12 Romex in a drill and twist it stiff. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No thoughts at this point in regards to this portion of the repair. When it's done I would either make or buy a skid plate for it if they sell one.
I do like to drill a hole at the end of any cracks to stop them. I can't tell if you have any that did not go all the way through and are drillable.

No thoughts at this point in regards to this portion of the repair. When it's done I would either make or buy a skid plate for it if they sell one.
I do like to drill a hole at the end of any cracks to stop them. I can't tell if you have any that did not go all the way through and are drillable.
That is a good point! I had forgotten about it. Yes, in the flat there are a couple of long ones. It's like this handle has begun to degrade and become brittle. I already bought a good used tank for this saw; this is more an exercise in what can be done than anything else. I will drill and fill this for sure. Thanks!

I have a repaired AF cover with a big chunk out of it, and a top cover with cracks and a chunk burned out of it. I may combine all three with the most beat up case I have, replace the seals and make it restored but leave it all beat up looking. 038 Spartan Special I'll call it, the Thermopylae variant.

I have a repaired AF cover with a big chunk out of it, and a top cover with cracks and a chunk burned out of it. I may combine all three with the most beat up case I have, replace the seals and make it restored but leave it all beat up looking. 038 Spartan Special I'll call it, the Thermopylae variant.
Sounds fun to me, it will end up looking like my 044, without the black duck tape on the AF cover :laugh:.
You can also drill the cracks on the AF cover and where they don't continue out as a crack you can round the corners so the don't crack. It will probably be fine without doing nothing, my duct tape has been lol.

On the handle I would definitely have reinforced it where I could have with carbon fiber or fiberglass cloth. It could still be done if it ever breaks again.

On the handle I would definitely have reinforced it where I could have with carbon fiber or fiberglass cloth. It could still be done if it ever breaks again.
I plan to reinforce it with metal wire embedded in epoxy on the underside and going up into the handle. Learned it from Lakeside some years back, it's what I did in the 044 thread in my sig, but this time there will be pics. Using clear epoxy this time makes me more conscious of the appearance of it all. The process starts tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back