Now I understand..C-7 vs. XL800 thru S-XL925 series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've had both for several years. I've used my 800-903-925 saws for most of my cutting...for years. (The Husqvarna 365 is a "Backup" saw...twisted insurance policy ie. if I bring it, I have NO problems with my hobby saws. If I don't..)

So I have for several years wondered WHY did Homelite kept the C-5 C-7 C-72....etc that entire line of saws during the same years those wonderfull XL800-thru S-XL925 series saws were being manufactured and sold. Obvious answer is someone was continuing to BUY those older designed C-series monsters...but WHY would anyone buy one of those C-7's type saws if for the same kind of money they could have a 903 or similar saw?

So I dusted off and ran my old C-7 for the last few days. And did the typical side by side analysis with my most favorite saw..theXL903...both cut well. Differently but both very effective. Some obvious differences include a 3/8 chain on my 903 vs. .404 on the C-7. The C-7 is a LOUD and heavy monster with tons of torque! The XL-903 is a sweet running saw that like to live at 7000 rpms. Big wood (Hard Maple) favors the C-7 a bit but not by much, small wood the 903....which is lighter and can generate greater chain speed.

Then the days end maintenance...and a little "tweak" tuning because I ran at temps ranging from 40 degrees to 10 degrees. Differences begin to show.

1) The C-7 has these large easy to work mixture adjustment screws...real easy to "tweak" for weather & Temperature changes, even with gloved hands. (It was 8 degrees this morning on my hill top so I fattened it up a bit..because I could with little hassle)

2) The C-7 is for some reason easier to start. Has always been that way vs. all my 800 thru 925 series saws. Especially when the temps are in the single digits and after a 45 minute ride on the tractor. I think the lower compression, milder state of tune, along with a heavier flywheel all add up to make this one of the easiest starting saws ever built.

3) The C-7 Has this big, easy to clean air filter...My bet is it can breath eazier as a result. Wonder if the starting is affected? Especially on the cold days when the oil in the filter might be..greese. Wonder if there is more power capability in those saws because of the larger airbox.?

4) The C-7 has an INBOARD clutch. MUCH easier to pull the bar and MUCH easier to clean things out around there.

5) The C-7 has the adjustment for bar/chain tension on the Cover side (Outside), again easier to work with.

SO all those little detail things do add up to make the older design a nice saw to live with day in day out. Especially on these really cold days.

The advantage of the XL903 is that its lighter and has more RPM capability. By a pound at least. It has a compression release to help offset its really high compression ratio. It revs higher and can generate higher chain speeds. The S-XL 925 can be tuned to sound almost like a modern saw..they RIP! (Ultimately the S-XL925 won the marketing war....over time I guess as it survived longer than the C series in the 80 cc displacement class...the performance gap was too great)

BUT I can see where a pro who uses those saws day in day out could rationalize the maintenance, ease of use, and torque of a C-7 series saw for hard wood or longer bars over the weight and greater chain speed of a XL800-903-923 series saw.

Maybe not the S-XL 925. My 925 is a two - three pull starter...with TONS of compression. Takes some raw strength to pull this one over..but once running its a very capable saw.

Last edited:
Really is a good post and I agree with your assessment. I also have some "C" series saws and find it amazing how easy they are to start. I have harvester bars on mine and they lend a whole new meaning to heavy but, I notice the difference going from a hard nose to a sprocket nose bar.

Big HomeLites

weimedog --

Very nice objective post. Enjoyable to read.

I just got a C-72. Decent original saw.
Runs on prime.

What's the difference in a C-7 & a C-72 ??

Can you give me a 1000 words or less telling all on the C-72 ? LOL.

Thanks.

Just drug home a C7 a couple of weeks ago...Have not had much chance to play w/ it yet...I has good spark and 135lbs of compression, but the tank is full of garb and the bar and chain need a good soaking...Can't wait to get it running and put it in some wood to see if it should stay or go...An above poster is first in line if it goes...

Just drug home a C7 a couple of weeks ago...Have not had much chance to play w/ it yet...I has good spark and 135lbs of compression, but the tank is full of garb and the bar and chain need a good soaking...Can't wait to get it running and put it in some wood to see if it should stay or go...An above poster is first in line if it goes...

Plan to replace fuel lines & in-tank fuel filter. Also replace all diaphrams in carb....oh yea the spark plug. My bet is it just runs after that.

weimedog --

Very nice objective post. Enjoyable to read.

I just got a C-72. Decent original saw.
Runs on prime.

What's the difference in a C-7 & a C-72 ??

Can you give me a 1000 words or less telling all on the C-72 ? LOL.

Thanks.

I believe the C-7 was made from 1963 to 1964, the C-71 from 1964-1967, and the C-72 from 1967 until sometime in the 1980's.

Differences are things like version of Tillotson HL-141 Carb..which means not much AND pull start was upgraded in the later versions.

Wow. Just got an alert where someone read this thread from 2009. AND what is really interesting is this very same conversation can be had with some saws of today vs. one generation or so back... :)

I eventually gave my favorite 903 to an Amish farmer who still uses it. I still have my 925 and once in a while bring it out to play.....still an awesome saw! The C-7 was given to one of the GTG guys then it came back, and then went out again to yet another fellow who frequented the GTG's we had at that time.....7 years ago. Gave the 800 to another person who occasionally brings it to the farm. I have a PILE of 925 stuff I really want to revisit and build...when I can find the time. AND My 1020 get run representing that bigger series saw. Have a XL1000 waiting to get some attention...a 750 waiting for its day in the sun, and a 540/8800 ....... So many saws. So little time,

Still enjoy my Homelites

Latest posts

Back