Oak Inside Roof Line, Technical Rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, Ludwig! Just another day at the office.:jawdrop: Holy mackerel Andy! Sure bet the people in the homestead were sorry to see that one go. Thanks ggttp I really enjoyed that one. :clap:

Pretty cool, nice work.

I couldn't see all the room, if there was enough room, for it, but if there was I would have fell it whole. Jumped it over and fixed up the path there. Fast and nasty. Was there not enough room, or was the landscaping too expensive?

Why did the guy lowering shock load nearly every single piece you lowered off the tree? The only run it had was whatever slack you had in the rigging itself. :dizzy:

The trunk removal is very cool though. :)

Last edited:
Pretty cool, nice work.

I couldn't see all the room, if there was enough room, for it, but if there was I would have fell it whole. Jumped it over and fixed up the path there. Fast and nasty. Was there not enough room, or was the landscaping too expensive?

You can't really tell but the tree was surrounded by freshly poured concrete.
I'm not sure why the home owner put concrete around a tree they planned on bringing down!!!!:confused: I guess they wanted to see how long they could keep us in there yard.

Why did the guy lowering shock load nearly every single piece you lowered off the tree? The only run it had was whatever slack you had in the rigging itself. :dizzy:

The trunk removal is very cool though. :)

The limbs weren't that heavy, and I would rather have a little shock loading on and old rope than shock load the roof or gutters of that house. There just wasn't much room for running.

Thanks for watching. I Appreciate the comments.;)

Howwdy, he already addressed the portawrap issue in hi s1st post.

Yes I know the Porty was not wrapped properley, there was reason we did it that way

What was the reason?

We had cleaned the truck out the night before and one of my guys forgot to put 3 of our rope bags back.

So I had to tie two shorter lines together, and a double bowline would not run through the porty. However it will run around it. Kinda hillbilly but it beats driving an hour to get the other ropes.

Thanks,

We had cleaned the truck out the night before and one of my guys forgot to put 3 of our rope bags back.

So I had to tie two shorter lines together, and a double bowline would not run through the porty. However it will run around it. Kinda hillbilly but it beats driving an hour to get the other ropes.

Thanks,

We've got the "old style" porta wraps at work in service still........

A few TALL pines.......been there, done that. 2 150' ropes tied end to end. The knots run around the porty wrap better than one might think. :)

Thanks,

I was just wondering. I just bought my first porty and haven't had a chance to use it.

I guess as long as everybody fully understands the risks of varying from manufacturers recommendations and is compitant with ropes and rigging, I might do the same in that situation.

You have to know the "black and white" of every situation and know how far you can go into the "grey" area.

Nice job on the tree and the video by the way!!! :clap:

Nice work. You ran a knotted rope through a porty and lived? Hey, do you think you could have done it like that with out the mini- loader? Great tool.

Why the port a wrap

I am pretty new to tree removal and have a question. Why did you have to you a port a wrap on this tree as appossed to just taking "wraps" around another tree with the lowering rope. I have never used a port a wrap but If I knew it's advantages I would as I'm sure they are not all that expensive. I would imagine that the ground man has much more control over the heavy trunk pieces but other than that would like to know. Can someone explain how it works and is it difficult to use. Thanks.

I am pretty new to tree removal and have a question. Why did you have to you a port a wrap on this tree as appossed to just taking "wraps" around another tree with the lowering rope. I have never used a port a wrap but If I knew it's advantages I would as I'm sure they are not all that expensive. I would imagine that the ground man has much more control over the heavy trunk pieces but other than that would like to know. Can someone explain how it works and is it difficult to use. Thanks.

1. Better control over friction
  2. Easier to lock off load
  3. Less damage to rope (smooth barrel on porty)
  4. Easy to attach a mechanical advantage to (pulleys)

They make them in varying sizes up to 3/4" rope and WLL of 2000#.

Instructions are attached for the porty.

Last edited:
Watching and Learning.

New to all this but really love watching and learning!,

Would anyone want to comment on this as a potential speedline candidate, if all the right ropes were packed? It seems like some good anchors are in the back. May have been too far away though....

Bob.

Back