Oak Inside Roof Line, Technical Rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am going to pretend you were talking to me.

ok mullet.....i mean murph. what would you have done differently?

and just out of curiosity how you going to fell a tree INSIDE the roof line without removing part of the house? i am not going to watch the vid again but i am pretty sure that that part of the roof was built around the tree. anyway.

did the guy who put this video say that it was going to be a ground breaking precedent setting rigging expose'? no. he said it was an oak inside the roof line with some technical rigging to it. anything broken afterwards? nope. then to me , thats a good effort. which i commended. would i have done something different? maybe a few things but thats the beauty of tree work. its just like a haircut man. some go with short hair, some with long hair, and then some go with both.

btw your stance on pot smokers is about as laughable as your mullet is. i smoke(d) more pot than bob marley ever did and i still am a better tree guy than 95% of the guys out there. round here anyway. next time you are in beantown, let me know. i'll be glad to put a demonstration for ya.

signed yours truly, the other condescending arrogant ass hole of AS.

no, you da man.............tried to rep but I got to spread it around some first.

from another one of the condescending arrogant ass holes of AS....lol

Is that a mullet or Goldilock curls............

Now y'all stop picking on murph.

Last edited:
You guys on the mullet thing again.
I better go to another thread.
6VP9ECAG5E5LBCALVNK22CA9HTPK6CAWWGH.jpg

I made notes of 15 mistakes made in that video. Many of them multiple times. So does anybody want to learn from this video? Yes or no... either post or rep to speak your truth.
maybe you should have been a kindergarten school teacher with the way you want to grade everyone on their work, you boast about yourself but we have never seen any pictures other than the ones you take to bash someone else
so what's up with that?

why don't you grade me on this I'm sure you'll find many mistakes as you call them (I'll give you the stubs) but you know what, it was done without damage and no one got hurt and we got paid......seriously, tell me the mistakes you see.

oh yeah, it took 2.5 hours from the time we pulled up to the time we left including a break and it pulled $120 per man hr, could have got more but he is the pastor.

Last edited:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that I haven't seen such a slow and clumsy takedown in years.. Terrible cuts, terrible overhead anchor, terrible rope work by the groundie, totally uneccesay and a huge waste of time and energy. unecessary to leave those stubs. Cutting pieces way to small. painful to watch.. I could go into a lot more detail if I took the time to watch closely and take notes..

Anyone who thinks that was good technical rigging has never seen good technical rigging... I also think that a good faller could have set up some padding logs and dropped it across the drive (at some point) without touching the new 'crete.

I know that is a slap in the face to many, and I apologize. It makes me sound like a condescending snob, but it just happens to be true... Unfortunately there aren't enough people on this site that know first class rigging, to have the critical mass to tell the rest of you all that there is a better way.. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut... like my mother said, "if you have nothing nice to say.. say nothing"... But on the other hand maybe something could be learned here... So if you'd like to learn something, just ask...

Otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut...

Do you promise?:cheers:

Passed inspection

Was that tree load bearing? I know they could have incorporated it into the architecture more if they concentrated. There is no reason that it shouldn't have had siding on it.

Murph, take it easy there buddy, you could be thought of as getting a little big for your britches.

I brought that old "tapered hinge" thread you bragged of here up.

You did treework since the early '80s but didn't know to leave more holding wood opposite the lean until 2004-5? Wow.

Murph, take it easy there buddy, you could be thought of as getting a little big for your britches.

I brought that old "tapered hinge" thread you bragged of here up.

You did treework since the early '80s but didn't know to leave more holding wood opposite the lean until 2004-5? Wow.
Well, you know I'm a complete idiot and I learned that my first week back in 69'

I think Murphy was being a little harsh on the tree work but for sure he's seen bigger and better rigging done.

I think the horizontal line used to rig out the trunk chunks was a good idea and one I've used before....but I'd bet those loads were way over 10% of the breaking strength of that rope. A better but more time consuming rig would be to rig off of the trunk and use the horizontal line as a drift line to lower away from the house. This would take the shock loading off of the horizontal line. Forces multiply really quickly when loading a line stretched between two points as in the video.

If anyone wants an Excel spread sheet on the forces created on a line such as was used send me your email address in a PM and I'll send it on to you. You can put in the weights you want and the formulas will work out the forces generated. This spread sheet was posted on another forum by Dave Spencer some years ago and I would attach it but .xls files are not supported here.

Great job!:cheers:

Some say 10 some say 20%. You bet that system took a beating. Man, what if something broke? Would you catch it on the way out or the way back in? I don't know. Timing is everything.
I was just scabbing off some sections like that, just a backcut, snap the bark with my lanyard while the groundies kept enough tension on the tag line. I am getting lazy.
There must have been a few way to take this tree down, most likely I would have used a zipline for the top and seen to what to do about dropping the trunk.
So it wasn't done like that, so small limbs were sent down ( I know it can be painful to watch) but we ask why and we get told and it makes good sense.

looked like a fun tree to do, great video, looked like a close one at around 2min 49 seconds, good thing the saw didnt bit you or the the rigging rope. enjoyed the the classical music, I would have dropped the spar much longer than a couple feet too......did enjoy!:clap:

LOL, guys, we can dis Murph all we want to but no doubt he knows his ****. I have learned a thing or two from him over the years. I know he gets big for his britches but he is a good resource to have around here.

Murph, you need to grow the #### up and give credit where it is due.

a make up

OK,
I have been thinkin’ about my original post and want to apologize to GGTP and all others that were in any way offended by it. It was unnecessarily rude and mean spirited. My judgments about the work haven’t changed, but I certainly feel ashamed of the way I presented them on this forum. My words were written out of anger, not love.

When judgments are expressed in that harsh and direct a way, not much good can come of it. It is very divisive. People either line up with you or against you. And certainly it puts the original poster in such a defensive stance that he moves into a flight or flight mode, so he really can’t learn much.

I was feeling angry about a personal issue at the time and see that my anger was improperly directed at the posters on this site. And this is not an apology because apologies don’t mean squat. I will go back and edit my original post, and I know that that bell can’t be un-rung. SO I would like to offer a make up to GG and others. In the new warrior way we offer make ups to those we have offended, some simple act of service to get back into integrity. I shot a video of a tree job on Friday, which synchronistically shows many of the things that I think could have been done differently in GG’s video. I took the day off work yesterday and edited it. And would like to offer it as a make up to the folks here at AS.

My name is Daniel Murphy and I have always tried to make Murphy’s Law happen in reverse, turning some mistake into something good. SO I appreciate GG’s challenge to show my own video. This video would have never been made if it weren’t for GG’s challenge and the fact that my original post was so rude. I think there is a lot of valuable info that can be gleaned by the careful observer, so I AM hoping to turn this situation around from something negative into something positive.

The only hold-up right now is that the video is 26 minutes long. That is too long for youtube and I’d rather not chop it up into three parts, so I was hoping to post it to google video, and I was having some difficulty doing that yesterday. Any suggestions as to how to get this thing online?
Thanks..

I'm new here but this is the way I see it...

Murphy all I've seen from you is criticism or blowing your own horn.
You're all that, you've made that clear. Sure we are all open to learn something but this is also suppose to be fun.

Do you ever laugh Murphy? Other than when you see something that someone posts in here that you would of done different?

Like I said we're all here for fun and yes learn but you can't nominate yourself to be the teacher..and if you do...well we like to make fun of teachers.
garfieldhangover.jpg

Last edited:
Murphy all I've seen from you is criticism or blowing your own horn.
You're all that, you've made that clear. Sure we are all open to learn something but this is also suppose to be fun.

Do you ever laugh Murphy? Other than when you see something that someone posts in here that you would of done different?

Like I said we're all here for fun and yes learn but you can't nominate yourself to be the teacher..and if you do...well we like to make fun of teachers.
garfieldhangover.jpg
Its 9 in the morning why aren't you working there are trees calling our name right now , all you have to do is listen for it...lol

Its 9 in the morning why aren't you working there are trees calling our name right now , all you have to do is listen for it...lol
I hear ya, I should of been gone quicker.
I ain't gonna lie to ya. (I didn't vote for Bush) I didn't have a job to do today.
I did had a couple estimates though. I like to wait a little and act like my guys are on a job and we could be over later. If it's something we could do on a late start.

Did I get'em? NOPE!
Cheetos-1.gif

I hear ya, I should of been gone quicker.
I ain't gonna lie to ya. (I didn't vote for Bush) I didn't have a job to do today.
I did had a couple estimates though. I like to wait a little and act like my guys are on a job and we could be over later. If it's something we could do on a late start.

Did I get'em? NOPE!
Cheetos-1.gif

Me neither , we did maintenance and firewood , looked at some work but thats OK I can take a few days and regroup ....

Back