oak lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve M

Reaction score
How can I caluculate the board feet an oak tree will render?
What is the best way to have it milled for furniture making?

A board foot, as I'm sure you know, is 12"x12"x1" thick. Your local mills will be able to point you to where you can purchase a scale stick calibrated to your local log rule ( or give you a legible used one if you chat them up).

The stick basically accounts for length, diameter and cull deductions and saw kurf to report an estimate of the footage you would get out of each log.

A local scaler or the vendor will give you a lesson on how to use it. A very good $30 to spend on a good stick.

If it is a single log, dont count the boards till the log is opened up.

If it is white oak you may want to do quarter saw.

Keep the logs a little over 8 ft long, maybe 9. This will allow for waste on the ends.

When felling, have the hinge plunged out so that the holding wood is only on the outside, this will keep you from loosing wood from the hinge splintering.

If it is a single log, dont count the boards till the log is opened up.

If it is white oak you may want to do quarter saw.

Keep the logs a little over 8 ft long, maybe 9. This will allow for waste on the ends.

When felling, have the hinge plunged out so that the holding wood is only on the outside, this will keep you from loosing wood from the hinge splintering.

seal the ends with exterior paint as soon as possible to reduce splitting. I've heard some people are bagging them, no idea how well that works.

Back