Oak problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This has been a summer of mystery for me. Several unsolved issues. This is the latest, so I'll start here.

35" dbh Red oak

Browning at the ends of some twigs.

There is Kermes scale.

Also Powdery mildew on the under surface of the leaves.

But here is what I am unsure of...there is blackening (necrotic tissue) on all of the twigs that are dying back. It isn't well associated with locations of Kermes scale. I know Kermes can cause flagging as seen here, but looking at the twigs, the blackening doesn't follow the pattern of the scale well enough to blame it on them.

oak flagging (Small).jpg oak twigs canker 1 (Small).jpg oak twigs canker 2 (Small).jpg oak twigs canker 3 (Small).jpg

PS: necrotic spots are neither raised nor sunken. Maybe a little narrower since the tissue has dried out. Generally each spot goes all the way around the twig.

That looks like it! Very nice factsheet with concise information. I had that bookmarked in Sinclair and Lyon, but couldn't convince myself that was it as a few of the close-up pictures don't quite fit.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back