Obsessed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppkgmsy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wife is accusing me of being obsessed with our firewood.

First, there's identifying the trees to be taken down. This involves a multi-year plan, ongoing contemplation, and culminates each Summer in picking specific trees. Then there's cutting them down in late Fall, trying to have them land on the exact spot that I determine. Bucking them must be done to perfection, each piece just the right size, and the brush used properly for kindling or pushed together in graceful piles for the small critters. Splitting the chunks involves the balance of conformity of size mixed with some variety. Stacking is the crucial art to ensure full drying, as well as being able to look at those piles of well-balanced beauty. Of course, I keep a close watch on the piles during the year the wood is drying, making sure they retain their structure for my own pleasure and bragging rights. Finally, when the wood is blessed to be burned in the stove, one doesn't just grab an armload of wood. No, each piece is considered for its appropriateness in a mix based on season, temperature, who is in the house, and length of burn. And who doesn't spend intimate time with their wood stove? I've gotten to the point where I'm fairly confident I can adjust the dampers to the point where I can regulate the temp in the house within a degree or two.

I prefer to think of my behavior as "attentive to details."

My wife is accusing me of being obsessed with our firewood.

First, there's identifying the trees to be taken down. This involves a multi-year plan, ongoing contemplation, and culminates each Summer in picking specific trees. Then there's cutting them down in late Fall, trying to have them land on the exact spot that I determine. Bucking them must be done to perfection, each piece just the right size, and the brush used properly for kindling or pushed together in graceful piles for the small critters. Splitting the chunks involves the balance of conformity of size mixed with some variety. Stacking is the crucial art to ensure full drying, as well as being able to look at those piles of well-balanced beauty. Of course, I keep a close watch on the piles during the year the wood is drying, making sure they retain their structure for my own pleasure and bragging rights. Finally, when the wood is blessed to be burned in the stove, one doesn't just grab an armload of wood. No, each piece is considered for its appropriateness in a mix based on season, temperature, who is in the house, and length of burn. And who doesn't spend intimate time with their wood stove? I've gotten to the point where I'm fairly confident I can adjust the dampers to the point where I can regulate the temp in the house within a degree or two.

I prefer to think of my behavior as "attentive to details."
Welcome to the club.

I am a self admitted member more due to the amount of time spend processing wood than the attention to details along the way. Of course it becomes a bone of contention when I mention my "harvest plan" when in general conversation.

Remind her that when her friends' husbands are at the bar and possibly eyeing up another woman, you are out in the woods saving $ and getting exercise.

I am rather cavalier on a lot of things, but saws and firewood processing I am completely serious about. Survival, not freezing. this is my heat and emergency cooking bank account. Not going to screw it up. Every year it gets harder and harder for me to do this, so I have to be more precise and careful about what I do (usually...hahahah)

My wife doesn't accuse me at all. The jury convicted me. She laughed at me cause I'm getn nervous cause I haven't moved my saws in 2 weeks cause I pinched a nerv in my back. I Have started going thru withdrawals from lack of 2 stroke exhaust. Might just hafta start them this weekend to get my fix taken care of.

With zero backup heat at the moment and a southern hemisphere wife, who loves heat, I have no issues with the lady of the house letting me out in the woods to ensure our boiler is fed. And as svk says she knows where I am and what I am looking at......wood

I like cutting and burning wood. I am pretty strict about safety while cutting but don't sweat the rest of it. I usually don't measure my cuts, can usually get within an inch or so of what I want. The stacks don't have to be pretty, long as they are stable. Don't worry about what I grab off the stacks, its all the same wood.

My daughter did force me to admit how many saws I have the other week. But it doesn't matter anymore - the house is warm, and my kids don't really remember any other heat. They love the stoves.

Back