OHH crap may need a new stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My girl texted me this picture . Seems the top mount cracked and the baffle and Cat fell into the firebox .I would have to weld the mount and get new parts its an Dutchwest 2462. Parts are around 350$ might just bite the bullet and get a new stove . I like the Drolet HT200 , but I have been looking at the Woodstock progressive hybrid stove. Woodstock is about 3 hours from my place so I can pick it up cheaper than shipping and no tax.

That part sure looks familiar, haven't broke mine yet, been using a 2462 since new almost 20 yrs ago. The Drolet looks like a good stove, but I really like the looks of the Woodstock and I'm sure it's more money. The Drolet looks like it is firebrick lined and the Woodstock has a grate, that would be an easy choice for me even if it's more money. I won't go back to shoveling hot ashes or letting the fire go out to take the ashes out. Even with an ash pan, looks like the Drolet would need to rake the ashes down a hole to the pan which looks to me like the fire would have to be way down. Happy hunting and post what you go with.

My girl texted me this picture . Seems the top mount cracked and the baffle and Cat fell into the firebox .I would have to weld the mount and get new parts its an Dutchwest 2462. Parts are around 350$ might just bite the bullet and get a new stove . I like the Drolet HT200 , but I have been looking at the Woodstock progressive hybrid stove. Woodstock is about 3 hours from my place so I can pick it up cheaper than shipping and no tax.

did the top of the firebox break/crack, or did the (3) 1/4" bolts break? I have a 2460 (smallest) and had the 3 bolts break and came home to the combustor housing sitting in the bottom of the stove... I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, 1 bolt broke last year, then another at the beginning of this season, then around Christmas the last one finally let go, I just drilled out the 3 holes in the top of the firebox and bolted it back in...the cat was removed long ago so that wasn't an issue...

I had the xl it treated me well but I do enjoy watching the secondaries in my new furnace

did the top of the firebox break/crack, or did the (3) 1/4" bolts break? I have a 2460 (smallest) and had the 3 bolts break and came home to the combustor housing sitting in the bottom of the stove... I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, 1 bolt broke last year, then another at the beginning of this season, then around Christmas the last one finally let go, I just drilled out the 3 holes in the top of the firebox and bolted it back in...the cat was removed long ago so that wasn't an issue...

do the bolts go through the top ? I have had the top off to replace a cracked damper dont remember if I saw the bolts in there.

do the bolts go through the top ? I have had the top off to replace a cracked damper dont remember if I saw the bolts in there.
they thread into the top of the firebox, (3) 1/4-20 bolts, but they don't like coming out...I just drilled them out and used nuts, they don't need to be exact as the slots in the baffle are plenty big enough.
just pull the top "cover" off and you will see the 3 bolt shanks around where the cat goes, lightly center punch each bolt then drill around 1/16" dia. through each bolt, then a 17/64, or a 9/32 through each hole...

they thread into the top of the firebox, (3) 1/4-20 bolts, but they don't like coming out...I just drilled them out and used nuts, they don't need to be exact as the slots in the baffle are plenty big enough.
just pull the top "cover" off and you will see the 3 bolt shanks around where the cat goes, lightly center punch each bolt then drill around 1/16" dia. through each bolt, then a 17/64, or a 9/32 through each hole...
Thanks I plane on doing this as soon as the new cat comes . I bought it from Condar

Thanks I plane on doing this as soon as the new cat comes . I bought it from Condar
you can still burn it without the cat... my 2460 was here when I bought the house, the previous owner didn't like having to replace the cat every few years, so he just removed it, he did keep the refractory though...
I burn it with just like that 24/7 September/October- April/May as did the previous owner, the secondary still lights off, just not for as long as with a cat...

you can still burn it without the cat... my 2460 was here when I bought the house, the previous owner didn't like having to replace the cat every few years, so he just removed it, he did keep the refractory though...
I burn it with just like that 24/7 September/October- April/May as did the previous owner, the secondary still lights off, just not for as long as with a cat...

I am still burning with it had to tinker with the air inlet adjustments . Seems to burn hotter and faster must be the restriction the cat causes the cat is 105$ , the old one is at least 5 years old and was still working great

Back