oil filter wrench for removing stuck oil filters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This actually for a car, 1991 Toyota Corolla but figured it applies to other stuff too. I need an oil filter wrench that actually works, as apposed to the strap type that doesn't work on my filter. The filter for my car is small. So what can I get that will fit into tight space between block and radiator that will hold on to the filter, so I can loosen it? I see the kind that look like vise grips and another that looks like a pair of large jawed plyers. The strap wrench may work for some people but there is so little space that I struggle to take the slack out of it.

IMG_1609.JPG
I use this style wrench on my vehicles. A little trick to make them come off easier next time is instead of oil on the O-ring, use a good synthetic grease. It is what a lot of us Duramax owners use as ours gets stuck on something terrible since we have a oil cooler built into the filter housing.

The most common backup that I know is the water pump pliers. I have chewed more than one filter trying to get them off. Even tried to drive a screw driver through it to make it twist, but that is a bad idea. Get as close as possible to the base when squeezing it and try to turn it. The absolute last resort is to take a flat screw driver and tap the base the way you want it to turn. There is risk that can cause damage to the motor or the flat surface that the filter screws onto so be cautious. BTW this the place that seems to answer all personal or public questions. No need for TV here. Thanks

Attachments

• wtrpmp.jpg
    wtrpmp.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 9
This filter wrench works well for your Toyota. Also get an adjustable hose clamp to wrap around the
ears if you want to install the filter with this tool! Like the cup style tool, uses a 3/8" extension and ratchet

Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool
41gd0o9Ph8L._SY355_.jpg

View attachment 566805
I use this style wrench on my vehicles. A little trick to make them come off easier next time is instead of oil on the O-ring, use a good synthetic grease. It is what a lot of us Duramax owners use as ours gets stuck on something terrible since we have a oil cooler built into the filter housing.

Picked up the lisle wrench today, along with a purolator one filter. I am using sythetic oil in my car, 9will that be good enough for the seal?

No, we have tried synthetic oil and the filters were still hard to get off. Thinking the oil just dries up on the o-ring. Grease won't dry up and burn off like oil.

EDIT: It may work for your car though. The oil change interval on both my vehicles is 10k miles. With both being diesel's and holding 2.5 gallons in one and 3 gallons in the other of synthetic oil, it is not cheap to change them earlier than needed.

Hah, mine holds about 2.5-3 ish quarts. The old filter came off just fine, thanks to that awesome wrench attachment from Lisle! Great suggestion. Mine is an old car that I don't drive much. 2-3 miles most days. So, thanks to Bob Is The Oil Guy, will probably start changing my oil more often.

Funny story: I thought I had the wrench on the old filter and was turning it but the wrench slipped off the filter after a couple turns. I tried to reset it from under the car but couldn't get it back on. So I got up and tried to do it from above, when I realized the old filter was wobbly loose, ergo, the wrench would go back on. I have to be right under the filter to see it, so I was working by feel, to keep from getting oil all over the place. I did look at the block and visually verified that there was no old seal. I seated the new filter by hand. Probably more leak proof than the rest of the engine.

No, we have tried synthetic oil and the filters were still hard to get off. Thinking the oil just dries up on the o-ring. Grease won't dry up and burn off like oil.

EDIT: It may work for your car though. The oil change interval on both my vehicles is 10k miles. With both being diesel's and holding 2.5 gallons in one and 3 gallons in the other of synthetic oil, it is not cheap to change them earlier than needed.

Yeah same here. My big truck with a 855 Cummins holds 10 or 11 gallons.

Back