Oil pump upgrade, part 2 - the pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Back to part 1: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31559

O.K., we've cleaned, inspected everything and are ready to disassemble the oil pump, and insert the new piston and control screw. These parts are from the high output oil pump as used on the Australian 066 models. Parts cost is about $39 (list), or, you can just put in a new pump for $68 and sell the old one.

New Control bolt - 1128 647 4802
New Piston - 1122 647 0602

These are the two parts being replaced.

attachment.php

Look carefully at the pump body - it has a tiny 2mm roll pin pressed in near the control screw. Support the pump body, and drive this out with a suitable pin vice punch. I used a 3/32nd. Be careful.... if you break the pump body it lists for $55...

attachment.php

Pull out the control screw (it will be stiff as it has two o-rings locking it in place). Remove the o-rings - you need them on the new control screw. Push out the piston. It has two washers and a spring - assemble in the same order on the new piston.

Clean the inside of the pump, lube the piston, assemble with washers and spring, slide back into the body. Put the old O-rings on the control bolt, slide it in. Hold everything together and insert the roll pin, and drive home. That's it for the pump.

So, what's the difference between the HO and standard parts? I know there are a bunch of AS guys revin' up their dremels rather then wanting to spend $39.. The mechanism for increasing the pump flow is to move the piston back and forth more, not to take a bigger bite of oil as in the case of the smaller pumps like the 026 etc.

The new control screws has a smaller excentric end..

attachment.php

The piston has a wider excentric shoulder.

attachment.php

Both of these would be tough to modify while maintaining the required surface finish for continuous contact operation...

On to part 3: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31562

Last edited:
Buy chance does anyone have the HP part # for the complete 066 pump ?:help: My stihl dealer only has the Cali forn ya book. :deadhorse: :help:

Cheap online source?

Anyone know of a cheap online source for these high output parts? I've got an 066 I use for milling and this would be a great $35 upgrade...

I just did the pump upgrade on my Stihl MS 460.

When I installed the new pump, the hose got pushed into the oil tank, so I had to pull it through.

I had to remove the filter screen to push the hose through into the bar oil tank.

But the pickup hose is so short after installation, I'm not able to push the filter screen back into the end of the hose while it's in the bar oil tank.

Can anybody point me in the direction of what technique I use? Thanks

I just did the pump upgrade on my Stihl MS 460.

-Snip-
But the pickup hose is so short after installation, I'm not able to push the filter screen back into the end of the hose while it's in the bar oil tank.

Can anybody point me in the direction of what technique I use? Thanks

To borrow a phrase form Henny Youngman, "don't do that!"

Found I needed to take the saw back apart and push the oil feed hose through with the filter screen already attached.

A 2006 post from Lakeside53. It doesn’t get any better than this! He is an unbelievable wealth of chainsaw knowledge. :bowdown:

Don't post much but I miss lake. Great knowledge and very helpful with some harder to get parts on the east coast.

Tried out my MS460 today with the new HO bar oil pump.
Was like a whole new saw.
I cranked the oil output all the way and sawed and sawed.
the chain didn't stretch one bit, and it was flawless.

I have the AUS dual port muffler on order, and will be installing it and adjusting my garb.
I'm glad I found this site.

does anyone know the part number for the correct high flow pump for MS660.
mine is sadly lacking in oil for bars longer than 24in....
that just doesn't sound right. I'd understand if I was lacking oil on a 36in or longer bar

does anyone know the part number for the correct high flow pump for MS660.
mine is sadly lacking in oil for bars longer than 24in....
that just doesn't sound right. I'd understand if I was lacking oil on a 36in or longer bar

The whole HO oil pump for a 660 is 1122 640 3201.

It was like 90 bucks. Cheaper to buy the parts to do it if you can take it apart yourself.

I miss lake as well and I was around when this was first posted. When I got my 660 that was one of the first mods I did, after the dual port muffler cover. Very easy to do and really helps when running the 36" bar. Andy if you are reading this, thanks again for all your help and this site really lost something when you stopped posting.

Steve

could use some help.....

I found this thread while searching for help with my MS660 that is leaking a good amount of bar oil out the bottom near the oiler adjustment screw. If it's just sitting flat/upright, it leaks a fair amount out the bottom. Seems like bad oil pump o-rings/seals and/or the oiler worm drive are common culprits.

I took mine apart--the worm drive is complete and not damaged, and I only see one small o-ring (B4X2) at the 2 o-clock position (first pic) which seems good, and then a rubber grommet-like thing below it that seems pressed into the case--I'm assuming this the hose that goes to the oil tank? I haven't messed with it at all, but both the hose and the o-ring look fine it looks like the black grommet/seal at the bottom just meets the conical part of the oil pump (lower left hand side pic #3) and then gets seated when you tighten it up, but I've seen in other threads people talking about being careful threading the oil pump hose through into the oil tank itself, so I'm just not sure at this point.....Also, I refilled the oil tank, and wadded up some paper towels blocking the hose/grommet at the bottom with the pump off, and now if I set the saw on it's bottom no oil leaks anywhere, which I hope is a good thing and means I don't have a cracked case.....

I'm also not sure what the black rubber piece is on the end of the oil pump (pic #2 and lower right of pic #3), I've attached a few pics and any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated!!

View attachment 308151View attachment 308152View attachment 308153

Last edited:
Hi Nonprophet

The seal ring in your pic 1 (1122 649 500) is not expensive and if in doubt change it, make sure both the surface of the oil pump and the case a clean for a good flush fit. When you install it make sure you use some o-ring honey of chain oil to hold it in place and be sure you don't move it when you seat the oil pump down. The plug in your pic 2 is a press fit into the oil pump housing and holds the pump piston in place. If your not pulling the pump and spring you won't need to remove it and it shouldn't leak oil as it's a nice tight fit. The oil feed beak on the pump housing fits inside the oil tank hose, both surfaces should be clean prior to assembly. As stated in another post be careful when inserting it into the hose as not to push it back through the casing. The control bolt on the oil pump has 2 o-rings fitted to the top ring of the bolt, you need to remove the 2mm roll pin as described in another post to change these o-rings (9646 945 0160). If you do make sure you fit the both to the same recess as pictured prior to inserting into the oil pump, failure to do this will damage the o-rings and you won't be able to insert the roll pin. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the helpful info TJ. Upon closer inspection, it looks like my oil pump has suffered from some sort of corrosion--looks like the kind of galvanic corrosion we see on boats but I'm not sure how it would happen in a chainsaw. Seems to occur when dissimilar metals are in contact with each other for a period of time.

Anyway, the tab/stop for the oiler adjustment screw has broken off, so now the adjustment screw can just turn 360 degrees. While I don't know for sure, I suspect that there's a good chance bar oil is leaking there and it's not repairable. The pump overall seems to be in poor shape because of the corrosion, so I think it's time for a new/used one.

Does anyone have a used oiler for a 660 they want to sell?

Any ideas on where the corrosion came from? FWIW, it looks like an OEM oil pump from the markings, but truth be told I don't what the knock-off ones look like either.....

View attachment 308470View attachment 308471

Last edited:
Is anyone able to send me the pics from the whole 660 pump replacement post? I will doing this on my 460 and I'm having a hard time figuring out what some of the descriptions mean without being able to see the pics. I'm really a visual learner, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. PM me if you can help. Thanks.

Bump for the pictures. I am going to upgrade, but none of the pictures are available anymore. If I buy the entire oiler (1122 640 3201) on baileys for 99 bucks, will it be as simple as removing the old one and putting the new one in?

Back