oil related thread but not about oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find some of the 1 litre mixing bottles the measuring lines are not accurate, if you fill to the litre line with "gas" & measure out 25 ml =40 or 31.25 =32/1 in a measuring jug & pour it into the container the 40/32 ratio lines don't line up? Iv'e had them both above & below the line on40 & 32/1 ratio's I seem to remember the bottles came from Asia

This is true you need to check the bottle as they sometimes bow in or blow out. I always just do a dry run with water to see how close the lines line up.

I looked for one of those bottles that have the measuring divider built in and you just squeeze the jug to fill it to the desired amount, but was unable to find one marketed that way that wasn't calibrated for 50:1 and full of cheap oil.

I looked for one of those bottles that have the measuring divider built in and you just squeeze the jug to fill it to the desired amount, but was unable to find one marketed that way that wasn't calibrated for 50:1 and full of cheap oil.

I was able to find them in Europe all the time but here in Canada no.. Then I was at the local feed mill and there are hose supplements that come in these bottles. 4-5 bucks depending what you get they can be used for that intended purpose. just mesure out the right amount of oil, use a sharpie and mark it then 1 litre of fuel and you can make you own.

fluid_action_finish_line.jpg

417Jp7nwcmL.jpg

I haven't seen the Stihl ones around here. If I could find one that I could squeeze 3.2oz (40:1) in one go and held a quart, I might buy it.

Maybe someone for the EU or down under could send you an empty one? Now I know that stabil comes in such a container but I do not know the graduations on it.

i would use glass myself.

the plastic ones will NEVER be precise.

It doesn't need to be that precise, if it's within 0.1 oz, I'm fine with it. 3.1, 3.3, it's still about 40:1. How precise are you measuring your gasoline?

I have two containers I use for measuring my oil. One is a cup that I got for free at an automotive paint supply. You can probably get one at an automotive store that sells bulk auto paint. Looks like a standard plastic 16oz cup but has marks. My other is my liquid concentrate fertilizer bottle. This is a device I use to put chemicals on my yard with a garden hose, but the bottle has measure marks. the sprayer kicked off years ago, but I kept the bottle. It has a cap and a small lid and I primarily use it. I can put fuel in it and shake it up to get the last bit out of the bottle.

I've been known to use my wife's measuring devices from the kitchen when I was in a hurry and didn't want to look for my other containers. So if you want to go cheap, I would probably start in the kitchen department in Wal-Mart, or just look around, you probably have something with measuring marks that you can use.

That would actually work. Looks like measured area up top is about 3-4 ounces. Now just have to find out where they source their bottles. :)

Just received a couple Maxima quick 2 mix cups and I must say they have became my favorite mixing cups. Lol.... the screw on lid is especially nice when you are running on the trails and your sled is converted for pre-mix. 1 cup at 32:1 is good for 4 gallons of fuel. Usually can fit about 3-4 in a backpack.

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

well I got this the other day from evil bay,,,, it is confusing to me to figure out but I will get it,, but what do you expect,,, since last july I get confused real easy,, more I work with it I will figure it out
Just look at the ounce graduations and mix accordingly. For 32:1 put in 16oz gas and 1/2oz oil then stirr

Just received a couple Maxima quick 2 mix cups and I must say they have became my favorite mixing cups. Lol.... the screw on lid is especially nice when you are running on the trails and your sled is converted for pre-mix. 1 cup at 32:1 is good for 4 gallons of fuel. Usually can fit about 3-4 in a backpack.

Sent from my non internal combustion device.
Does the lid seal good?

I use a transparent plastic graduated measuring cup (made for food). It has a screw on top (which keeps it dirt free) and is small enough to carry around b/c its total capacity is only around 10 oz. Cost around $1.50 from the kitchen items section of the local box store. I've been buying my oil by the quart and quit using those small 16oz bottles. Significant savings, and is super easy to get the ratio right. Just remember 1 oz per quart ;)

Latest posts

Back