oil worm gear puller tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew frazee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Husky 55 wont start after new piston and cylinder compression is only 80. Anyone know of a worm gear puller to get to the seals that is cheaper than the only one on ebay for 41$

Husky 55 wont start after new piston and cylinder compression is only 80. Anyone know of a worm gear puller to get to the seals that is cheaper than the only one on ebay for 41$

As far as I know, bad seals don't affect compression, they affect fuel/air mixture. With a new p/c you should have more than 80.

Its likely my compression reading is off because I could screw the tester in the last few turns because it hit the piston. Either way I think I have some massive air leak because the saw starting shutting off afters idling for 10 seconds. Few weeks later the chain would just run fast without much throttle and take forever to stop. It lost all power in the cut. Now cannot start

80 psi is NOT a crank seal problem,, check comp with a known good tester,, if it is still low then pull the jug and see whats going on in there because 80 is WAY to low

There was a thread not to long about a home made puller using a pipe fitting and a nut welded together.

Jeremy

Thanks, I ordered the tool. All of the replacement worm gears look to be metal. Ill replace the seals and bulkhead. If that doesnt work, I might try to split the crankcase and replace the gasket.

Thanks, I ordered the tool. All of the replacement worm gears look to be metal. Ill replace the seals and bulkhead. If that doesnt work, I might try to split the crankcase and replace the gasket.
Will it do anything with a shot of fuel down the plug hole?

Got the saw to start and idle. The chains spins rapidly at startup with no throttle and the idle adjustment doesnt really fix this.

Could this just be a clutch problem or is it more likely an air leak?

Ill keep the homemade tool in mind for any future repairs on other saws. Im starting to think the clutch or sprocket might be the issue because the saw is now returning to normal idle and the chain is stopping half the time. When I let off of the throttle and the chains wants to keep going, then I rev the engine again and the chain will return to stop like normal

Starting to think it is a clutch prob since one time the chain will continue to rotate after throttle, then I might rev it again and it comes to a stop.

I used a piece of 1/2" NPT pipe on an Echo 4600 and it gave me a lip I could put a gear puller on.. worked well

Could it be the throttle linkage is too long, causing it not to rest on the stop screw? I'd firstly make sure that your carb gaskets, etc are good before digging in deeper.

Since it needed a new P&C, the problem could be a case gasket that caused it to run lean and burnt out the original..

As for the compression tester, it doesn't take much of a leak around the threads to really lower the pressure.. many compression testers have an adapter that screws on with longer threads.. perhaps this adapter is still on yours? check to see if yours still has it on!

Back